Favorite UConn team to watch ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Favorite UConn team to watch ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think my favorite team to watch was problably the 95 team. That team on offense was a thing of beauty! If donyell had come back that team cuts down the nets easy.

Reaction Score
The most fun stretch watching has to be 2011. But the team I enjoyed the most watching them throughout the season was 2006. The season didn't end well, but it was a talented bunch that was dominant the whole season. 2006 and 2009 were the last two dominant regular seasons we've had.

Reaction Score
'99 was my favorite even though they had some excruciating wins throughout the year. But when they got it going -- I think they have the all-time lead in fast-break baskets where the ball never hit the floor.
St. John's in the BET Championship was just exhilarating.

Reaction Score
The APR-banned team from 2012-2013. Took a team that was supposed to be completely irrelevant and ended up leading the nation in overtimes, while giving us some of the most memorable games of recent years (MSU in Germany and the beginning of the Ollie full team interview, Georgetown double OT at home with Omar hitting the last second three in regulation, and bouncing Cuse from the league in style. Then gutting one out vs Providence with I think 7 guys to end the season with win # 20.

By the way, crazy that current UConn seniors only saw us end the season with a loss once in their 4 years

Reaction Score
99' that team ran people out of the gym.. and only lost when not at full strength.. 2nd 2009 team.. if only Dyson did not get hurt..

Reaction Score
The APR-banned team from 2012-2013. Took a team that was supposed to be completely irrelevant and ended up leading the nation in overtimes, while giving us some of the most memorable games of recent years (MSU in Germany and the beginning of the Ollie full team interview, Georgetown double OT at home with Omar hitting the last second three in regulation, and bouncing Cuse from the league in style. Then gutting one out vs Providence with I think 7 guys to end the season with win # 20.

By the way, crazy that current UConn seniors only saw us end the season with a loss once in their 4 years

Hey, I was at that GTown double OT game! Might be the loudest Gampel crowd I've ever seen.

Daniels was a monster that game. He outplayed Porter who had been getting a ton of hype at the time due to how GTown had been playing.

Reaction Score
Q: What's funny?
A: Thinking about what this thread would be like on a Syracuse board.

Q: What's funnier than that?
A: Thinking about what this thread would be like on a Rutgers board.

A: Nothing. Nothing at all.

Reaction Score
Q: What's funny?
A: Thinking about what this thread would be like on a Syracuse board.

A: Thinking about what this thread would be like on a Rutgers board.

A: Nothing. Nothing at all.
Doesn't get better than the fact that we can have a full and detailed discussion (with video analysis) about which former husky threw out the best opening pitch.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
99 but my favorite player to watch was 11 kemba

Reaction Score
For me it's gotta be this year's past team. Seeing DeAndre's confidence get higher and higher as he played better and better was amazing. Watching Brimah break out against UCF is why I now call him "The Brimahnster". Seeing Shabazz, Niels, and Olander get their second rings as the seniors this time around was bittersweet as I was ecstatic for them but at the same time realizing that they had just played their last games as Huskies. Hilariously, who could forget seeing the Girthball AKA Justin McBride come into the game and absolutely man-handle Nolan and Brimah? The fact that we were winning by double digits made it humorous but I genuinely love that kid. And finally, seeing a glimpse of the future when Brimah blocked a shot vs. Houston and Turnce threw the lob to Kentan Facey made me very excited for next season when we get to see more of the underclassmen play.
I have two, the 99 team "We shocked the world". The game at Pitt, Kahlid's mixing it up with the Pitt fans, loved his ability to just feed off the Pitt fans boo's. Actually any game at Pitt during Kahlid's years at UCONN was a treat to watch. The other favorite team was the team with Nadav, Smitty, Lyman, Murray, Scotty, Tate, Rod, Toraino Walker. No telling how far we could have gone if Laettner misses that shot.

Reaction Score
I have two, the 99 team "We shocked the world". The game at Pitt, Kahlid's mixing it up with the Pitt fans, loved his ability to just feed off the Pitt fans boo's. Actually any game at Pitt during Kahlid's years at UCONN was a treat to watch. The other favorite team was the team with Nadav, Smitty, Lyman, Murray, Scotty, Tate, Rod, Toraino Walker. No telling how far we could have gone if Laettner misses that shot.

I love when the prematurely give play of the game to the losing team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's my close second, to this day I still swear if Dyson had stayed healthy we would have won it all. For a LONG time, I despised everything about Michigan St until we beat them at MSG. Pretty much got even cause MSU @ Detroit was an advantage but UConn @ MSG was just unfair. Also, seeing freshman Kemba step up vs Mizzou was a sign of things to come. One thing I still remember that makes me cringe everytime I see Dejuan Blair is him throwing Hasheem the Dream to the floor...

Dejuan Blair was that year's Montrezl Harrell.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hilariously, who could forget seeing the Girthball AKA Justin McBride come into the game and absolutely man-handle Nolan and Brimah? The fact that we were winning by double digits made it humorous but I genuinely love that kid.

Hard not to like this:

mcbride.jpg

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
2011.. Hands down... not even close. I think for me it was so special because I didn't expect it. A few more years come to mind but 2011 was just something else.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
There have been many magical moments watching UConn Men's basketball. The "Dream Season" was really special as that team came together and shocked the Big East. One thing that made that team even more special was the fact that there was not one star who was the dominant player -- the whole was really greater than the sum of the parts. Chris Smith was the closest to the star, but Nadav was the perfect team player. Lots of guys stepped up at big times (Tate, Scott Burrell, John Gwynne, Sellers). The 2011 team was amazing.....11 straight wins with Kemba willing the team on every step of the way. In some ways, 2014 was even more unexpected....the odds of the same team running off 6 in a row with "inferior talent," no real inside game, and a short PG leading the way seemed completely impossible. Sweet Sixteen was seen as a great result for this bunch. For this team to go all the way, all kinds of things would have to fall into place perfectly..................and they did. The '99 team was another great "team" that had great focus and will and would not be denied. '04 was the one time when we had the most talent and the Duke semi game was an all-time UConn classic.

My favorite? 2014. They really went from the highest high to a very low low before fighting their way back to the top. Every team we played was favored to beat us and our guys just got better and better and better. Boat became Ricky, Giff became Nadav, Nolan became Rod Sellers, Deandre had some huge games maybe reminiscent of Donyell playing well, Kromah had some Lyman Depriest in him on defense and had the wherewithall to put it all away with perfect FTs, Amida saved us with a play no one could have expected him to make, and Tsam forgot he wasn't supposed to make huge plays in the Final Four. And finally, we had Bazz and they did not, which made all the difference. With all the misery of the last several years sandwiched around the 2011 miracle, the 2014 Title is the one that was most needed by this state and by this poster. What a year!

Reaction Score
Boat became Ricky, Giff became Nadav, Nolan became Rod Sellers, Deandre had some huge games maybe reminiscent of Donyell playing well, Kromah had some Lyman Depriest in him on defense and had the wherewithall to put it all away with perfect FTs, Amida saved us with a play no one could have expected him to make, and Tsam forgot he wasn't supposed to make huge plays in the Final Four. And finally, we had Bazz and they did not, which made all the difference.

Nolan had some Okwandu in him in the fact that he was the big lumbering oaf of a center who made a few good plays but for the most part was more often than not on the ground, getting blocked or unable to catch the ball, leaving us all screaming "PHILLIP!!" at the TV. But at least he finally drew a charge on Poythress after trying all season, Nolan is rollin'

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Nolan had some Okwandu in him in the fact that he was the big lumbering oaf of a center who made a few good plays but for the most part was more often than not on the ground, getting blocked or unable to catch the ball, leaving us all screaming "PHILLIP!!" at the TV. But at least he finally drew a charge on Poythress after trying all season, Nolan is rollin'

It could be argued that he was our MVP in the MSU game the way he defended Payne inside and out. Nolan showed tremendous growth and maturity in the tournament.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I always said 1990 and 2011 were the most fun. 2014 is up there. I think the unexpected years are the most fun

Reaction Score
2009 for me. Can't really comment on anything pre-2004, but 09 I think was one of the best NCAA teams in the decade. They just beat the crap out of anyone not named Quse or Pitt. They beat UL by 17. On the road. The team that wound up the number 1 overall seed. ON THE ROAD. Does it get better than that? Really think we would've given UNC all they could handle even without Dyson, and I honestly believe we win the majority of the time with him. Both of those teams are top 10 for the decade, IMO. They're also a couple of the last truly stacked teams in the game. From that year on, I never felt there were amazingly dominant teams, like those two, 08 KU and Memphis, 07 FLA, 06 UConn (lil' homerism), 05 UNC, 05 Illinois, etc. where are those super teams (save 2012 UK and maybe 11 KU) nowadays? Those years were always fun for me, whether UConn was playing or not. It's really what made me into the college basketball junkie I am today.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
2009 for me. Can't really comment on anything pre-2004, but 09 I think was one of the best NCAA teams in the decade. They just beat the crap out of anyone not named Quse or Pitt. They beat UL by 17. On the road. The team that wound up the number 1 overall seed. ON THE ROAD. Does it get better than that? Really think we would've given UNC all they could handle even without Dyson, and I honestly believe we win the majority of the time with him. Both of those teams are top 10 for the decade, IMO. They're also a couple of the last truly stacked teams in the game. From that year on, I never felt there were amazingly dominant teams, like those two, 08 KU and Memphis, 07 FLA, 06 UConn (lil' homerism), 05 UNC, 05 Illinois, etc. where are those super teams (save 2012 UK and maybe 11 KU) nowadays? Those years were always fun for me, whether UConn was playing or not. It's really what made me into the college basketball junkie I am today.

I thought that UNC was the overall #1 seed in 2009. UConn 2004 was a powerhouse team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom