Favorite Song Covers | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Favorite Song Covers

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
I don't think you can classify the Eagles' version of "Take it Easy" as a cover. It was co-written by Jackson Browne and Glenn Frey, then a fulltime member of the Eagles. Jackson Browne's version wasn't released until after the Eagles' version.

Interestingly, the Eagles do technically cover a lot songs, especially in concert. They just happen to be mostly songs written for/by and originally performed by the solo or past incarnations of their band members (i.e. Life's Been Good, Rocky Mountain Way, Ordinary Average Guy, Boys of Summer, Smuggler's Blues etc.).

The best song covered by the Eagles (IMO) is "Ol' 55," originally written and performed by Tom Waits.
Thanks for the clarification on "Take it Easy." I didn't know it was co-written by Frey or that it was released first by the Eagles. Do you know which one can take credit for the great lyrics or was it completely collaborative? Lyrics really make that song a classic!

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
all of led zeppelin's music
That's cold my friend. :) Yes, there were a few "borrowed" components of some of their songs but "all of their music?" Take "Bring it on home" for example. Only the beginning is borrowed from Sonny Boy Williamson. They meat of the song is awesome and all theirs. And the beginning of Stairway has a mild resemblance to that stupid Taurus song. 90 percent of the song is completely different. In music there is a lot of borrowing that goes on from many artist.... Zeppelin gets a bad rap because their at the top of the food chain. :)

Reaction Score
Great, great song. Need to check that version.
And it’s a nice cover... and also there was another cover by Larkin Poe, 2 girls, 1 guitar and 1 steel guitar, and that steel sounded like a whole band. I liked it better than Atari, but the vocals were a little lacking. The steel was awesome.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Uncle John's Jug Band: Sugaree

Reaction Score
That's cold my friend. :) Yes, there were a few "borrowed" components of some of their songs but "all of their music?" Take "Bring it on home" for example. Only the beginning is borrowed from Sonny Boy Williamson. They meat of the song is awesome and all theirs. And the beginning of Stairway has a mild resemblance to that stupid Taurus song. 90 percent of the song is completely different. In music there is a lot of borrowing that goes on from many artist.... Zeppelin gets a bad rap because their at the top of the food chain. :)

only teasing

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the clarification on "Take it Easy." I didn't know it was co-written by Frey or that it was released first by the Eagles. Do you know which one can take credit for the great lyrics or was it completely collaborative? Lyrics really make that song a classic!
Mostly collaborative, if I recall. In one documentary, Frey states that he and Browne lived in the same building and he would hear Browne working on a song but was having trouble with a second verse. Frey came up with, " I was standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona..."

I presume Frey and/or Bernie Leadon arranged the Banjo part as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you love beautiful guitar playing, this entire show is made up of John Lennon covers.

Reaction Score
The Mavericks....One of the best live bands out there cover Motley Crue....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For me, a great cover needs three things.

1. The original needs to be well known. A superstar taking song by a lesser known singer is not a true cover IMO. Does it really matter who sang Respect before Aretha? She made the song what it is.

2. The cover version needs to be distinct enough from the original so that is it more than just the cover artist singing another song. Anything Pink is doing.

3. The cover version can not completely swamp the original in terms of cultural relevance. I think Cash/Hurt falls here.

That being said the best covers are in no order.

Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm
Help From My Friends by Joe Cocker
Killing Me Softly by the Fugees
The National Anthem by Whitney Houston.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Using the above criteria, Mony Mony by Billy Idol for the win.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Uncle John's Jug Band: Sugaree

dude where do you find that crap? Honestly I would like the web scrubbed of that kind of stuff. :)

Thats not my band. I think it was a reunion of a band that played backyard parties in the 80's and one of their guitarists died and I was friends with all of them so I filled in.

Here cleanse your palate with the soothing strains of a Steely Dan cover followed by a Band cover.

We are at La Boca tonight Dove. You coming? How about you @Deepster? still coming?

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
...........or some harrison

now shut up @Dove

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
California Dreaming- Bobby Womack

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics