Favorite "Less Celebrated" Play in UConn History? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Favorite "Less Celebrated" Play in UConn History?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I have to go with the one my avatar is from. Duke heavy favorites in the Duke Invitational and they came out hot and took a quick lead that looked like it could get out of hand. Our first time in a championship game and I was thinking this is going to suck. Great D with Rip diving to get the ball out to stop the run and get the Husky's back in it. Made a huge impact in that game in my opinion.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Alex Oriakhi's rebound against SDSU and kick out to Lamb for the trey. 2011 Sweet Sixteen.

Or

Taliek Brown's no look pass against Oklahoma in 04.

Reaction Score
Gotta be Rashad's three w 2:40 to go against Puke...brought us within 5.

Reaction Score
Kemba walkers dish under the basket to Lamb in the BET Championship game. I was a nervous wreck that entire game, until that play. I had no doubt in my mind they would win after that.

Also that Kemba 3 versus texas... literally his best play as a Uconn player hands down. I have never and will never see a play like that again...
That 3 is one of the craziest shots you'll ever see.

Not sure how heralded it is but this play is awesome from one of my favorite games ever.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have to go with the one my avatar is from. Duke heavy favorites in the Duke Invitational and they came out hot and took a quick lead that looked like it could get out of hand. Our first time in a championship game and I was thinking this is going to suck. Great D with Rip diving to get the ball out to stop the run and get the Husky's back in it. Made a huge impact in that game in my opinion.

Yes, but my fav from that game was when, after a Brand rebound, Billy Packer says words to the effect of "You're not gonna get the ball away from him!" On cue, Souley grabs the ball out of his hands and lays it in.

Reaction Score
Craig a had a huge game in maui his first year (ithink) and had a great three against usf for overtime

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I started a similar thread a couple of months ago: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/most-spectacular-play-in-uconn-history.34859/

The three plays I brought up that have not been mentioned here are...

Kemba - vs Gtown 2011. At the top of the key, pivoted to create space from his defender, threw the ball off the backboard, grabbed his own rebound and put it in.

Emeka Okafor, during an overtime game versus Villanova and up just 1, recovered from stumbling to block a dunk to win the game.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15281-2004Feb28.html He had already blocked a shot at the end of regulation to send it into OT.

Tony Robertson breaking out of his slump with two THUNDEROUS tomahawks in consecutive plays against BC.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
My favorite single play was Kevin Ollie going coast to coast against Providence in 1994. He was so fast... 2.8 seconds left coast to coast.

Reaction Score

At the beginning of this vid, Wiggins throws one down against ND. I remember being in the first few rows of the student section and almost getting trampled. Good times.

Reaction Score
Boatright making three straight free throws to send it to OT against Florida State in his first collegiate game after being held out for six games due to a bogus NCAA investigation.

Reaction Score
Caronimo's perfect behind the back against Providence.

That pass from Caron was the first play that came to mind.

The other is the half court lob that Ollie threw to Ray Allen when the 93 season opened with Virginia taking a whooping at home from Uconn.

Reaction Score

At the beginning of this vid, Wiggins throws one down against ND. I remember being in the first few rows of the student section and almost getting trampled. Good times.

Who is Doug Wiggins?

Reaction Score
1996 BET vs GTown - we all remember Ray's off-balance game winner to cap off the 12-0 run, but my fav was Kirk King's putback jam off Ricky Moore's drive to the hoop. Wasn't a super spectacular play, but it cut the game to 1 and had MSG rockin'.

Reaction Score
All of Marcus Williams's heroics in the 2006 regionals. We would have lost against Washington and GM in regulation if it wasn't for his clutch 3's, buckets in the lane, and free throws. He almost single-handedly willed us to the Final Four.

Reaction Score

I remember sketchily somehow getting tickets for that 08 Gampel game vs ND. Ridiculous atmosphere. Also, the Cincy game with a bunch of highlights in that video. I think there was a snowstorm or Cincy had to travel through a snowstorm and the game was delayed or postponed or something but there were only about 7k in Gample and we completely took them out to the woodshed.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I don't know how I forgot this one, but Austrie's off-balance shot to beat USF

Reaction Score
Good question. Some thoughts:

Khalid, at 5-10, keeping 2 offensive rebounds alive before Rip made his fadeaway to beat Washington.

Tate's game-winner to beat West Virginia in first round of 1988 NIT. A journey of 1000 miles...

Not a specific play - but Rip's 24 on 9-14 shooting against Gonzaga's box and one was arguably the most unheralded single-game effort in our history. He didn't have a single easy bucket - and carried us on a day his wingmen were awol. Specific play one round later: Rip double-clutch jumper vs Ohio State in semis as shotclock expired - killing a late Buckeyes run.

From 77-74: Freeman had a one-armed rebound and putback early second half when it felt like Duke was starting to take control (up by 5). Small moment, but it was a momentum-stopper.

From 2004: Denham hit a 3 late in first half right after Duke went up 10. We were in danger of letting it slip out of reach with Emeka on bench.

From 2011: The pass to Lamb to win title game. A forgotten play in the Kemba archives. Okwandu's late defense on Derrick Williams. And there was a no-look from Bazz in the finals vs Butler to find Alex for a layup, right after Butler went zone. That was in many ways the back-breaker - the final card up their sleeve did nothing.

Reaction Score

Rashad's shot against Washington is pretty overlooked because of the Elite 8 debacle two days later, but its definitely one of the greatest in Uconn history. I almost feel bad for Washington that they were the victim of two incredible Uconn buzzer beaters.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite things to watch even though the refs blew the call was when Dyson dunked on some dude from ST Johns and they called a charge.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Emeka blocking Loren Woods to ensure an early season win over Arizona is one that hasn't yet appeared here along with many worthy others.

Reaction Score
That play is a big one that sticks out in my mind. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Yup. To think about the chain of events that subsequently transpired after that play is staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom