Favorite "Less Celebrated" Play in UConn History? | The Boneyard

Favorite "Less Celebrated" Play in UConn History?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you recall the best plays in UConn history you most likely think of Tate, Rip, Kemba.. but what about those plays that stick out in your head that we don't talk much about? A play that may have completely changed the momentum in a game, or truly showcased a player's talent.

I know one for me is the Jeremy steal and dunk at the end of the SDSU game. Right before it happened I remember thinking how focused he looked on defense and then he pounced like a tiger on that ball. He had so much adrenaline that he sprinted down the court to finish the dunk. Like everyone here I thought UConn could win the tournament that year, but after that play I KNEW we would. Also I was on a houseboat in Amsterdam at the time so it was a great memory.

Reaction Score
Dyson dunking on Joey Dorsey was a good one. Rudy Gay's 360 dunk in game is another personal favorite

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That play is a big one that sticks out in my mind. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Yeah, but the thread is "less celebrated". Jamal Coombs-McDaniel has gotten almost as much props for that play here than Kemba got for his.

Reaction Score
Kemba saving the ball from going out of bounds in the Kentucky F4 game. Unbelievable athleticism to get to that ball. I've never really seen anyone mention it.

Maybe because of his unbelievable block from behind on Brandin Knight in that game.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Kemba's block of Doron Lamb on the breakaway in the Final Four comes to mind.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
A few of my favorites:

This let us know that 2009 would be a special year early on vs Gonzaga. AJ Price with the huge 3 to tie and then the BLOCK on the other end to send it to OT where UConn wins.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
AJ Price again in 2009 doing work at a ranked Marquette team who was unbeaten at home. Discards former BE Defenive POY McNeil before draining the J

UChusky916

Reaction Score
2012. A year many like to forget after lofty preseason expectations. We probably don't even make the tournament that year if Shabazz doesn't will us to a win by hitting this ridiculous 30+ footer vs Nova as time nearly expires

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
AJ Price again in 2009 doing work at a ranked Marquette team who was unbeaten at home. Discards former BE Defenive POY McNeil before draining the J

A great play, no question, but it might be the most celebrated regular-season play in recent history.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Donnell Beverly's steal and slam (don't remember who the team was we were playing against) back in 2010. He's one of my all time favorite UConn players even though he never averaged more than 1.7 points in a season and it was great to see him get a highlight reel moment. I guess the fact that I can't remember who we were playing against might devalue my addition to the threat a bit, but nevertheless, that was one of my favorite obscure UConn basketball moments.

Reaction Score
Donnell Beverly's steal and slam (don't remember who the team was we were playing against) back in 2010. He's one of my all time favorite UConn players even though he never averaged more than 1.7 points in a season and it was great to see him get a highlight reel moment. I guess the fact that I can't remember who we were playing against might devalue my addition to the threat a bit, but nevertheless, that was one of my favorite obscure UConn basketball moments.

That's pretty cool. I don't think I've met any Uconn fans that don't roll their eyes when I bring up Donnell Beverly

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
That's pretty cool. I don't think I've met any Uconn fans that don't roll their eyes when I bring up Donnell Beverly
What people forget is that he had a huge off-the-court hand in us winning in 2011. He was the consummate team player and whenever you hear Kemba Walker talk about the team and the great chemistry it had, DB is always one of the first guys he mentions. Even on the court he had some memorable performances in our wins against Texas and Indiana.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I think that was against Texas

Reaction Score
Also forgotten in the quagmire that was 2012: Boat hitting 3 free throws to send the FSU game to overtime. At the time it was a huge win, preventing an early-season tailspin after a terrible loss to UCF. As it turns out, that win only forestalled a mid- and late-season tailspin.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that Bev slam was against Texas in the midst of that ridiculous run. There's video of it. too lazy to find

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Two of my favorites: although the end result was bad, Denham Brown hit a reverse layup as time expired to tie the game in the Elite Eight in 2006. The ball hung up on the rim forever, and our season was on the line right there. Sucks that we lost, but it was a huge play.

And for a better result: Shabazz taking over the Big East Tourney game against West Virginia in 2012, leading us back late when he picked up consecutive steals and layups to send the game to overtime, where we won the game. That game pretty much clinched an NCAA bid for us. In a disappointing season, it was probably my favorite moment.

Reaction Score
Kemba walkers dish under the basket to Lamb in the BET Championship game. I was a nervous wreck that entire game, until that play. I had no doubt in my mind they would win after that.

Also that Kemba 3 versus texas... literally his best play as a Uconn player hands down. I have never and will never see a play like that again...

Reaction Score
Two of my favorites: although the end result was bad, Denham Brown hit a reverse layup as time expired to tie the game in the Elite Eight in 2006. The ball hung up on the rim forever, and our season was on the line right there. Sucks that we lost, but it was a huge play.

An even less-heralded aspect of that play was Hilton Armstrong's non-goaltend. After a season in which he led the universe in goaltends (offensive or defensive), Hilton was just salivating at Denham's layup dangling on the rim. I could have sworn he was going to illegally try to stuff it home and nullify our comeback.

Side-note to that game: If Denham had hit the game-winning 3, he instantly would have vaulted into the top 10 most clutch Huskies of all time and would be remembered in the same way we remember his platoon partner Rashad Anderson.

Reaction Score
Caronimo's perfect behind the back against Providence.

To me that is one of the three most spectacular plays in UConn history. Thanks for finding it. The lay up was made by one of my favorite UConn players ever - Tony Robertson.

Everyone remembers the shot. That's one.

But to me, when Scott Burrell jumped over Rodney Rogers and stole the ball from behind in the BE/ACC Challenge is the most athletic and spectacular play I've ever seen by a UConn player. I've never been able to track it down on video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom