Favorite Coach - not your team coach | The Boneyard

Favorite Coach - not your team coach

Reaction Score
My favorite coach, not named Vic, is Dawn Staley. Hard choice between Dawn and Geno but Dawn feeling for the players won me over, as I have said before she is a special lady!

Reaction Score
I like Gary Blair, Texas A&M, Geno, & Tara V, Stanford.

Oregon State Fan

Reaction Score
It's a tie between Geno, Sue Semrau of Florida State and Quentin Hillsman of Syracuse. Geno because of how he coaches when he has no depth at all. I think it's genius. I think the other two are great for what they do year in and year out with their rosters.

Reaction Score
Even though I'm mainly an A&M fan, I can't pick Tara because I'm a Stanford alum and I root for them except when they play A&M (sorry, but getting a hug from Sydney Carter at the 2011 Selection Show overrode my alumni loyalties). Vic and Mike Neighbors I'm not entirely neutral on because they're in Blair's coaching tree.

So for the others, my top choices would probably be
  • Geno
  • Kelly Graves - I was really impressed by his coaching at Gonzaga before Oregon got him and I like the way the Ducks play.
Lots of others are just below those.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Geno, duh. Don't need to explain that to you folks. I love the heck out of him even after all the stompings UConn has given Stanford over the years.

Others I highly admire include Walz, CTT, Rueck, Neighbors, and Staley (and Pat, if we're counting former coaches). Mulkey and Muffit are love to hate coaches - I respect them but don't like them (Mulkey for her handling of Griner and all the sexual assault issues at Baylor, Muffit for the constant whining and the "that other player" comments she made about Asia Durr). Their teams' losses almost always bring me joy. I admire Vic and Blair but they're a little too old boy-ish for my tastes.

If the question were reframed as, "if you could grab drinks with any three non-[your team] coaches in the country," the answer would be Geno, Walz, and Graves - that'd be an amusing night out.

Reaction Score
Doug Bruno. Gotta love a friend of Geno. Plus I met him at the last FF in Tampa Bay and he was really nice and chatty.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
it's a tough question, with many parts -

Other coach I think is the best coach - Geno
Other coach whose year in year out consistency I admire - Tara
Other coach that I admire but don't really like - Kim
Other coach I respect, but does she have to whine to the ref's all the time - CCT
and lastly - most entertaining - Harry Paretta and Kevin Borseth, both of whom I actually met.

Oh - and go out for drinks with - I don't know, but I've heard Mike Neighbors is cool.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
rv.gif

setting up waiting to see when McCallie gets listed.

Reaction Score
it's a tough question, with many parts -

Other coach I think is the best coach - Geno
Other coach whose year in year out consistency I admire - Tara
Other coach that I admire but don't really like - Kim
Other coach I respect, but does she have to whine to the ref's all the time - CCT
and lastly - most entertaining - Harry Paretta and Kevin Borseth, both of whom I actually met.

Oh - and go out for drinks with - I don't know, but I've heard Mike Neighbors is cool.
Neighbors would be good for a beer, plus he might play his guitar.
Blair would be good for beer if you like stories that go all the way back to coaching Dennis Rodman’s sister in HS. The two of them would have overlap in the story about Neighbors taking a huge pay cut to join Blair’s staff at Arkansas.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'd have to say Tara for her long history of excellence and carrying the banner for West Coast hoops for so many years before some other teams stepped up to help out.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
In no particular order...

Sue Semrau

Dawn Staley

Kellie Harper (I'm glad to see her succeed at Missouri State after a tepid tenure at NC State).

Might as well add Amanda Butler. Her players really seem to like playing for her and she comes across as a regular person, just like you and me.

Reaction Score
Neighbors would be good for a beer, plus he might play his guitar.
I think the respect for Neighbors here went up a lot after he took a little dig at AEH and her letting the three ball fly at the end of the game with half the shot clock still left. Hey, she made her way into the record book:D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think the respect for Neighbors here went up a lot after he took a little dig at AEH and her letting the three ball fly at the end of the game with half the shot clock still left. Hey, she made her way into the record book:D
I missed his dig. What did he say?

Reaction Score
I missed his dig. What did he say?
It was nothing major he just mentioned how they (and AEH was really the only one doing it) were shooting down to the buzzer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom