Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
My company just acquired another company back in February & I am one of the people in charge to make sure the transition goes smooth & operationally everything works- I wasn’t told this would be part of my job description also was given no increase- in business this is common practice especially when you are a manager or coach of a business.
Thank you for your real world experience. If a company gets serious about getting in the acquisitions business you really need a seperate staff just to handle that. Often they don't. Just dump it on the staff. What we aren't looking at is the students and Name, Image, Likeness which universities have profited from for decades.

Reaction Score
He's not a fan.

What a whiny coach. No time to spend those millions a basketball role comes with? Try coaching field hockey and it will be less NIL work.

2022 data

It's a broad range. INFLCR’s overall average NIL transaction value is $1,815 through June 30. Athliance, another disclosure platform, has an average value of $1,524.58. Though the true picture may lie in INFLCR’s median NIL transaction value of $53.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that read the thread title and said to themself, “coaches can join the transfer portal too?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't believe you or I or anyone else except for that kid deserves to make that decision for him or her. I am certain that some of the hundreds of kids that end up transferring will end up making a bad decision, but isn't it good that they have the choice?
Sometimes people need to be protected from themselves and at some point give some kind of commitment to someone who invested a lot of time and energy into you. You shouldn’t be able to leave without good reason without repercussions.

I still can’t believe the situation of Richmond leaving SHU. In a case like that he’s excelling, Halloway has done nothing wrong and been doing a great job, but the kid could leave still for no reason outside of money? That just doesn’t sit right with me.

Also, we need guardrails up to keep kids from making purely financial decisions and learn to make more long term decisions. Even though I don’t blame them for making those financial decisions. I blame the people who have this system in place.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your real world experience. If a company gets serious about getting in the acquisitions business you really need a seperate staff just to handle that. Often they don't. Just dump it on the staff. What we aren't looking at is the students and Name, Image, Likeness which universities have profited from for decades.
Don’t want to get into the nitty gritty of my organization lol- you are right as stated above- we do have an acquisition team. Thanks for the response.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that read the thread title and said to themself, “coaches can join the transfer portal too?
Coaches cannot leave their contracts without financial repercussions (which whoever they go to usually are okay with dealing with).

It’s not something that usually hinders them, but it does setup a barrier to prevent them leaving at will.

Reaction Score
The NCAA screws up virtually everything they touch.
One of the worst managed organizations on the planet.
Time to blow it up and find a better alternative that will consider all the schools at all levels rather than a handful.
How?

The schools with the largest revenues will not want to share that. They aren’t going to change to a more equitable model when they are already trying to tip the scales in their favor.

Reaction Score
That line of thinking is opening up a whole other can of worms. Is it fair that Alabama has a $280 million practice facility?
It really doesn't. Why isn't that an issue in professional sports?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My company just acquired another company back in February & I am one of the people in charge to make sure the transition goes smooth & operationally everything works- I wasn’t told this would be part of my job description also was given no increase- in business this is common practice especially when you are a manager or coach of a business.
Of course it happens. Doesn't mean you can't complain about it for leverage.

Closest thing that happened to me was when social media started to get attention. I was in charge of marketing and all of a sudden I had to deal with all this new stuff that at the time couldn't really be monetized. But we had to be on it, and learn best practices. No additional staff, and because most of social was free/dirt cheap at the time, no additional budget. It was a huge time suck and early on, couldn't be monetized. Once social was viable as a revenue producer, staffs were built to deal with it.

Reaction Score
Until you collectively bargain and give away your rights in exchange for something, it is absolutely a rights issue, and that is why the courts have ruled against the NCAA every time
Because there are no laws about it, just NCAA bylaws. College sports really needs congress to get involved. Which is a scary thought in and of itself

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course it happens. Doesn't mean you can't complain about it for leverage.

Closest thing that happened to me was when social media started to get attention. I was in charge of marketing and all of a sudden I had to deal with all this new stuff that at the time couldn't really be monetized. But we had to be on it, and learn best practices. No additional staff, and because most of social was free/dirt cheap at the time, no additional budget. It was a huge time suck and early on, couldn't be monetized. Once social was viable as a revenue producer, staffs were built to deal with it.
Yes using it for leverage or complaining about it for leverage understandable- complaining about it to the general public considering the amount of money these coaches make & the lifestyle they have I would imagine is not going to come off well.

Reason why the coaches name is not mentioned in the quote- not saying it’s the only reason it wasn’t. I would imagine the coach okay for Fanta to right it as well- just without his name tied to it.

Reaction Score
Don't know how you can say it's bad for mid majors when we are a year removed from FAU and Sand Diego State being the final 4. Both if which had high and low major transfers play big roles for them.

Reaction Score
Too late. SEC and B10 hold all the power because of the product on the field/court and the insatiable appetite of the consumer.

I am all for the kids getting paid something on the money being made off them but this system is making me lose interest in college sports as a 40+ year fan. I am already only watching UConn football and will not be watching the college FB playoffs (unless UConn is in :)) because of the recent expansion and guaranty of half the playoff field coming from the SEC and B10.

And, when these conferences and their media partners also ruin college basketball and March Madness which I really hope doesn’t happen then at that point, I will be watching professional sports only. I may be there sooner if the SEC and B10 get to break off the top 50/60 programs and form their own league.

Again, nothing against the kids getting paid but it’s a real shame as to where we are now and likely headed.
Same

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for actual reasoning of why it's bad for the sport?
The following are reasons why 40% turnover per year is bad for the sport, which was the statement to which you responded. Mind you these reasons have been expressed before, but I guess you missed them.

1. 40% turnover per year means a harder time to build team chemistry = less pleasing product to watch from many teams. We happen to have a coach that can still excel in this climate, but you are looking for reasons that are bad for the sport, not bad for UConn. A less pleasing product to watch may not be an issue for fans of a few, but will be for fans of the many, hence, bad for the sport.

2. Team chemistry is what allows well-coached mid majors to catch up with more talented but less well coached majors by the time of March Madness. As one-and-dones proliferated on the college scene, so did Cinderella stories at the end of the year. With a 40% turnover hurting mid majors more than majors, we are at the beginning of an era in which we are witnessing that trend being reversed. You can count on it. Once again, good for a few, including UConn, but bad for fans of the many, hence, bad for engaging the total fanbase for the sport.

3. Fans enjoy rooting for players over time. Granted, if a one or two year player makes the kind of difference as a Cam Spenser, this does a lot towards enjoying his presence on the team for only one year. But this kind of fan enjoyment from transients will, once again, only benefit the fans of a few teams. Good for UConn, but bad for the sport.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Don't know how you can say it's bad for mid majors when we are a year removed from FAU and Sand Diego State being the final 4. Both if which had high and low major transfers play big roles for them.
FAU actually only had 3 transfers on that team. Only Gaffney was new that year they went on the run.

4 of their top 5 scorers were all brought in as recruits.

Reaction Score
Stevie Wonder could see this was going to be a nightmare for 99% of the coaches and programs

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The tweet says unnamed high major coach. Izzo clearly hates it, Pitino says he hates hit but he lives off of it and he always puts his name behind what he says. I'm sure a lot of them hate it.
Of course they hate it. It complicates things for them. My heart is breaking that their $7 million dollar job has now become more complicated. If they cannot get it budgeted then hire someone to do a lot of the footwork and reallocate some of the coaches' money to subsidize it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good idea in theory but impossible to police it. It will just lead to cheating and everyone will be forced to cheat to compete.
Yet it's the same as what the NCAA policed for years. My suggestion was a bit more nuanced, a booster owned company can pay NIL but not as an incentive to attend. So if a UConn booster owns a car dealership in Manchester, he can hire Donovan to do a commercial. What he couldn't do to any recruit is say "if you come to UConn I'll hire you to do a commercial and pay you $X". If he does, then the NCAA would restrict him from attending games, punish the team etc. Same exact thing they always did.

Reaction Score
But "normal" students aren't transferring 4 times in 5 years - they'd never get their degree if they moved like that. I will say taht is creates a lot more excitment/interest in the offseason than ever before though!

And they aren't getting paid.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sometimes people need to be protected from themselves and at some point give some kind of commitment to someone who invested a lot of time and energy into you. You shouldn’t be able to leave without good reason without repercussions.

I still can’t believe the situation of Richmond leaving SHU. In a case like that he’s excelling, Halloway has done nothing wrong and been doing a great job, but the kid could leave still for no reason outside of money? That just doesn’t sit right with me.

Also, we need guardrails up to keep kids from making purely financial decisions and learn to make more long term decisions. Even though I don’t blame them for making those financial decisions. I blame the people who have this system in place.

Yeah, the people who profit off of the players' labor should be the ones deciding their future for them. I'm sorry, this is an insane take and I don't see any point in continuing this conversation with you if this is what you believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom