Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal | The Boneyard

Fanta quotes unnamed high major coach on the portal

Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm yelling at clouds, but I agree 100%. The NCAA knew that this would be coming and was caught with their pants down and now the whole system is broke. It's a joke. And while we have been very successful utilizing the portal, I legit hate it.

What reasonable parameters could be put into place? I, for one, think it's ridiculous that players can bounce within conference and that theoretically a guy (looking at you AJ) can bounce to four schools in four years just chasing the cash. Could they "cap" the portal?

Reaction Score
He's not a fan.

UConn benefits in portal era because of coaching, types of players it recruits. Most coaches are iron fist coaches. they dont know how to act when a players has options.

I like NIL, I like portal. I am not sure I like those two together without any rules on movement.

This is like baseball in the 1970s when Charlie Finley said let every player be a free agent every year. That’s a way to really create a functioning market that values players appropriately.

Reaction Score
Tampering and lack of actual "contracts" are the biggest issues, imo. Even if there was a way for schools to sign players for minimum wage to use that as some sort of binding agreement for a certain time period, it would go a long way. The NIL stuff on top of that would just be a benefit.

Reaction Score
I'm sure most coaches hate it. You bust your tail recruiting and coaching kids and they could up and leave at any time. That must be frustrating as a coach and not nearly as satisfying as bringing a kid with potential along and building a team.

pj

Reaction Score
The lack of contracts means there's no incentive to make long-term investments. If coaches develop a player, he leaves for greener pastures and they don't see the benefit. You can't pay them based on potential as the NBA does, but only based on what he'll give you the next year. Great for the players with no future, but it disincentivizes player development. It encourages coaches to become Caliparis.

Reaction Score
Tampering and lack of actual "contracts" are the biggest issues, imo. Even if there was a way for schools to sign players for minimum wage to use that as some sort of binding agreement for a certain time period, it would go a long way. The NIL stuff on top of that would just be a benefit.
This 100%. Tampering is rampant. Also, many of these kids end up not receiving close to what is initially offered. It’s a total cesspool and unsustainable. I think the first step is to reinstate the sit out a year rule for most transfers.

Reaction Score
I think the fans who say the portal is a good thing are mostly trying to not sounds like old timers.
"This is the way college ball is going and we have to embrace it"
We must consider that it's possible that the cbb and the ncaa screwed up royally. It sucks

Reaction Score
This coach is 100% correct it’s an absolute show and without a max being put up it’s only going to get worst. But “max”? What will that mean to the likes of Self? I guess then it goes from legal to cheating again lol

Reaction Score
Remember when the discussion about NIL was around a kid making a few bucks off of jersey sales that have his name on it? Most top tier athletes never picked a school, they picked the coach who could get them to the next level and now it’s the coach and $$….not necessarily in that order. Not sure in 20/30 years we have the great players wearing UConn jerseys today on the sidelines the way we see Ray, Rip and Charlie……maybe Cam! Hopefully we can find a few more greats that come tonUConn cause the name stands for something other than a great coach and a few bucks… Times are changing Husky Nation…..

Reaction Score
This coach is 100% correct it’s an absolute show and without a max being put up it’s only going to get worst. But “max”? What will that mean to the likes of Self? I guess then it goes from legal to cheating again lol

I'd honestly prefer the "cheating" aspect again. At least then you'd see a guy like Hilton Armstrong improve for four years and the mid-majors would have a chance. Now the second some small program finds a diamond in the rough, they leave.

Reaction Score
We've been pretty lucky considering most of our players have been sticking around except those we lose to the NBA. Its gotta be pretty painful for the teams where the whole roster flips.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m fine with them getting paid and being able to transfer but just like everyone else, if they get paid they should have a contract for a period of time and not be able to move without financial consequences.
That’s exactly what I’ve said here and to my non BY friends. Sign a minimum 2 year contract up to 4 years. Low and mid-majors spend their time and money recruiting and if they get a true diamond in the rough who improves the team and excites their fans, they now bolt to greener pastures. They become the minor league for the majors. For the higher majors the portal kids either are little played younger reserves who don’t want to bide their time or better players who shop their value. It is an unstable and likely unsustainable product. Let the draft rules change too. If a kid like Castle is good enough out of hs to be drafted, fine. Otherwise sign a minimum 2 year college deal.

If the Dartmouth idea that athletes are employees who can unionize (I am generally ok with unions but not so much in this setting) then the concept for being fired has to be part of that deal. Can’t have the benefits without the burden. BTW, interesting that an Ivy team pushed for this because those kids are not given athletic scholarships, obviously getting other forms of inducement.

Reaction Score
We've been pretty lucky considering most of our players have been sticking around except those we lose to the NBA. Its gotta be pretty painful for the teams where the whole roster flips.

Alabama is coming off their best season ever. They have one of the best coaches in the country. They have a large and rabid fan base. They were, by far, our toughest test. And they've had five enter the portal to get more $$ elsewhere. Three of those, I think, were freshmen. That absolutely sucks.

Reaction Score
He's not a fan.

I agree with a number of the coach’s sentiments, but to complain that the coaches are working too hard & don’t have enough time off while making millions is hard to take. I guarantee a number of us work harder & put more time into our career while making a fraction of the amount- that doesn’t go over well with everyday people who have multiple jobs & are non stop to provide for their families & to just keep above ground.

Reaction Score
I don't think the NCAA has any options. Any "rules" someone just sues them or passes a state law against it.
LOL. Yes, they do have options. When you run an important business you live with being sued and regulated. You have to focus on what you can win. And if you don’t think there is more that can be done than is being done, ask yourself why NBA players aren’t leaving their club after any year in which they got better.

Reaction Score
I appear to be in the minority but I love it. It's made college basketball 100x more exciting for me
You're not in the minority. I posted a poll on here last week: portal "like it or dislike it:"
the vast majority, 78%, voted with you.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm yelling at clouds, but I agree 100%. The NCAA knew that this would be coming and was caught with their pants down and now the whole system is broke. It's a joke. And while we have been very successful utilizing the portal, I legit hate it.

What reasonable parameters could be put into place? I, for one, think it's ridiculous that players can bounce within conference and that theoretically a guy (looking at you AJ) can bounce to four schools in four years just chasing the cash. Could they "cap" the portal?
The NCAA is composed of...

... the schools!

The NCAA's existence was threatened (personally I think they should go away) and they just did the bidding of the schools.

You can't blame the NCAA when you have a bunch of schools trying to thwart them from acting.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'd honestly prefer the "cheating" aspect again. At least then you'd see a guy like Hilton Armstrong improve for four years and the mid-majors would have a chance. Now the second some small program finds a diamond in the rough, they leave.

This is the issue. Any suggested change just forces kids back into bad situations. Your suggestion would have that "diamond in the rough" not make any money and be forced to stay at his school or sit out a full season.

You don't have to like the portal, and there are certain parts about it that aren't ideal for sure, but it's 100% better for the kids overall. This coach doesn't have to be happy but based on Fanta's description of him he also makes millions of dollars every year. The only reason he makes those millions is because of the product the kids put out there.

Reaction Score
LOL. Yes, they do have options. When you run an important business you live with being sued and regulated. You have to focus on what you can win. And if you don’t think there is more that can be done than is being done, ask yourself why NBA players aren’t leaving their club after any year in which they got better.
NBA = professional employees.

The colleges are trying to avoid that.

You don't see the big difference?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog