Fans from other programs on our board... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fans from other programs on our board...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Disagree. I would say ND is a true rival. Maybe they haven't beaten us recently, but in the Diggins years, I think they won something like 7 out of 8 at one point. UCONN may be 35-11 all time vs. them, but as they are a perennial top 5 and final 4 threat, I'd say the rivalry with them is relevant...
Somewhat of a rivalry, although ND hasn't won in quite a while. No, I'm talking about regional rivalries. It does't matter the sport, baseball, football etc., it's aways been proven out that regional rivalries are what makes the sport grow. I've had this conversation before. We UCONN fans may see ND as a rival, but if MSS beats UCONN again in the semi's or the finals the rest of the country will see that as a rivalry. The Patriots play the Giants in a SB and the a East Coast is interested. The Pat's play the 49ers or the Saints and the country is interested.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I frequently peruse McGraw's Bench, VolNation, Louiseville and Baylor's (not so much since Kim's dumb ass comments on the Football situation last year) and must say the collegial, upbeat attitude here is truly special due to the diversity of fans who respect what UConn has become and what respect most of have of the WCBB game itself. Many of the other forums regularly quote this board, which is flattering. I know I am a more knowledgeable person by being on here and can only hope I contribute to that.

Thank you my fine fans of WCBB!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Long way to go for both but I think all of us in the back of our minds would like to see these two face off undefeated for the NC.
That would be fun.

I said this to my wife the other night. And I've said in this forum, I love watching MSST play. Vic is a great coach and always prepares his team well.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Don't forget that it's possible to be a UConn fan and a fan of one or more other teams simultaneously!

I'm a Missouri alum, but lived in Connecticut for 38 years. Started watching Geno and the Huskies in 1989.

Living in Nashville since 2013 and now I get to see almost every game of both schools on TV (SNY, SECN, CBSSN, all the ESPN's, Roku, etc.) plus a lot of SEC and ACC games. And being retired now, I have time to watch 'em! (So, yeah, I got to root against South Carolina a LOT over the last few weeks!)

Nashville is a good WCBB city. Saw UConn win the NC here in 2014. We've got the SEC Tourney here in a few weeks. All the SEC teams come to play Vanderbilt. And Belmont and MTSU have pretty good teams. (And we've got some great high school teams and tourneys here, just ask Ms. Dangerfield! I actually saw Geno a few years back at one when he was recruiting Crystal.)

It's always nice to have knowledgeable WCBB fans to exchange thoughts, news , insights and opinions with. And, of course, moderators who show losers and haters the exit ramp.

Go Huskies! Go Tigers!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and we start game threads of other teams playing other than UConn... WCBB is all-around supported here on the Boneyard

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While he didn't post on the BY - I'll point out that we had a great UConn fan that moved to NJ and became a Rutgers fan, except when the 2 teams played each other. Nice guy, run into him on Facebook, he isn't in NJ any more, just like us. Also there's a UConn fan we are friendly with out here in Arizona. His season tix used to be right down the row from us. We've both changed our seats, so we wave and chat on Facebook.

So yes, I'll confirm, that some UConn fans do, indeed, root for other programs as well.

Reaction Score
There was a couple sitting behind me at the SC game Thursday night. After the game the woman said, "You guys have a really good team. We thought our team was good but.... wow." I acknowledge her comments and thanked her. They claimed they go to every SC game but had never seen UCONN and didn't realize just how good we are. They stated that they heard UCONN was good but .... didn't know they are this good. At first I thought how can you go to every game but not realize just how good UCONN is? I overheard another gentleman on the way out say, "Well, I wasn't expecting that." The point being is that sometimes people live in a bubble. The reason I visit other boards is to get opinions other than my clearly nonobjective ones. Well, except when I visit VolNation - there I go to revel in their pain!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been reading the Boneyard for years and hardly ever post, but this topic gives me a chance to say something I've noticed over the past few years. The tone of discussion on this board is great. As UConn has been so successful for so long and you all don't have to be defensive in a over-the-top-homer way, your posts have shown more interest in other teams than most boards and been more generous in judging them. You visit other boards, I expect, and know how rare that is. Much appreciated.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've been reading the Boneyard for years and hardly ever post, but this topic gives me a chance to say something I've noticed over the past few years. The tone of discussion on this board is great. As UConn has been so successful for so long and you all don't have to be defensive in a over-the-top-homer way, your posts have shown more interest in other teams than most boards and been more generous in judging them. You visit other boards, I expect, and know how rare that is. Much appreciated.
You are certainly welcome to post, in fact, I hope you do. We need more Stanford representation here.

Reaction Score
There was also a knowledgeable Oregon St fan who posted frequently last season as OSU and their outstanding coach, Scott Rueck, battled Stanford for the PAC12 championship last season. Don’t know what happened to him, but the Beavers are still a pretty good team under Rueck, even though they graduated several top players.
Thanks Oldude. I'll take a chance and suggest it was me, the Oregon State poster from last year, when I found this site. Still here, posting under a different name. You are correct, Oregon State is still a fine team, even after the departure of Syd Weise, Gabby Hanson, and some solid BIGs. Looking forward to the Conference Tournaments and NCAAs.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
I frequently peruse McGraw's Bench, VolNation, Louiseville and Baylor's (not so much since Kim's dumb ass comments on the Football situation last year) and must say the collegial, upbeat attitude here is truly special due to the diversity of fans who respect what UConn has become and what respect most of have of the WCBB game itself. Many of the other forums regularly quote this board, which is flattering. I know I am a more knowledgeable person by being on here and can only hope I contribute to that.

Thank you my fine fans of WCBB!

I frequent several boards as well, as I'm a past player of WBB and have a strong love for the sport. I travel to many games for several schools. I am a fan of several teams, for different reasons. I enjoy the Boneyard Forum more than any other, however, when some people stoop to a lower level to call out coaches, it drives me away.

I follow Baylor because of Kim Mulkey. Kim was a great player and is a great coach/person. I was at the Baylor game for Kim's 500th win, which is the game that she made her "dumb comments" per you. Were you there? I saw a coach that was very emotional - she had just won a big game, her team who LOVED her had just presented her with a gift, and a school that LOVES her just presented her with a gift. She was very tired of the constant media backlash of the school (which I don't blame her as all of the staff that created the problems were gone), was very emotional of the current situation, and made an "analogy" of a situation. If you knew Kim, you'd know that she would NEVER tell someone to use violence. Kim was standing up for her school as she is a very loyal person (to fault). She didn't stand there and tell everyone to go around punching people in the face, as the media wants you to believe. What she meant by the whole speech was to make sure everyone knew that Baylor was still a great school and that if we heard others talking bad about the school, to let them know why the school was "not bad." The words Kim used gave the media an opportunity to go after her and make this something it wasn't. I'll never understand how some people can complain about the media, but on the other hand believe everything they say, especially if it's about someone they don't like.

Coaches and players put in tons of time and effort to give us a great game to watch, and I'm always appreciative for the passionate ones. Life in the spot light is not easy. Too bad some can't see it just for a minute, as their whole perspective would be different of several teams, coaches, and players.

Reaction Score
I frequent several boards as well, as I'm a past player of WBB and have a strong love for the sport. I travel to many games for several schools. I am a fan of several teams, for different reasons. I enjoy the Boneyard Forum more than any other, however, when some people stoop to a lower level to call out coaches, it drives me away.

I follow Baylor because of Kim Mulkey. Kim was a great player and is a great coach/person. I was at the Baylor game for Kim's 500th win, which is the game that she made her "dumb comments" per you. Were you there? I saw a coach that was very emotional - she had just won a big game, her team who LOVED her had just presented her with a gift, and a school that LOVES her just presented her with a gift. She was very tired of the constant media backlash of the school (which I don't blame her as all of the staff that created the problems were gone), was very emotional of the current situation, and made an "analogy" of a situation. If you knew Kim, you'd know that she would NEVER tell someone to use violence. Kim was standing up for her school as she is a very loyal person (to fault). She didn't stand there and tell everyone to go around punching people in the face, as the media wants you to believe. What she meant by the whole speech was to make sure everyone knew that Baylor was still a great school and that if we heard others talking bad about the school, to let them know why the school was "not bad." The words Kim used gave the media an opportunity to go after her and make this something it wasn't. I'll never understand how some people can complain about the media, but on the other hand believe everything they say, especially if it's about someone they don't like.

Coaches and players put in tons of time and effort to give us a great game to watch, and I'm always appreciative for the passionate ones. Life in the spot light is not easy. Too bad some can't see it just for a minute, as their whole perspective would be different of several teams, coaches, and players.
"I'll never understand how some people complain about the media, but on the other hand believe everything they say, especially if it's about someone they don't like." Bingo!

PS: I also appreciate Kim's passion, and her loyalty to her school and to her players. Including Brittany Griner (contrary to popular opinion on this board), for whom she exhibited great empathy in the aftermath of the Barncastle incident.

Reaction Score
"I'll never understand how some people complain about the media, but on the other hand believe everything they say, especially if it's about someone they don't like." Bingo!

PS: I also appreciate Kim's passion, and her loyalty to her school and to her players. Including Brittany Griner (contrary to popular opinion on this board), for whom she exhibited great empathy in the aftermath of the Barncastle incident.

She was very good to Griner and she was not that nice in return. As a BU fan she isn't one of the all time favorites. However, her counter part Sims is a BU fave. Kim is loyal to a fault and that is so true. Just as people I think she went to make a speech without being prepared and said a few words that would have been taken out by a PR rep. However, that is what happens sometimes in the heat of a big moment and she paid the price for it. Still Love her!

As much as I don't like Miss State after last year, I really think Schafer is one hell of coach. I respect and full of coaches and those are two along with Geno. I may want UConn to lose like I want Alabama football to lose, but you have to respect the coaches that built these dynasties.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
We’ve got a Missouri fan here somewhere, an Ohio State fan, and a USF fan. We used to have several Purdue fans but haven’t seen them for a while. Some longtime Boneyarders are fans of other teams but have integrated so seamlessly into the board, we’ve forgotten that they root for the other guys.

I'm a Mizzou fan AND a Huskies fan; go Tigers and Dogs.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I follow Baylor because of Kim Mulkey.... Were you there? I saw a coach that was very emotional - she had just won a big game, her team who LOVED her had just presented her with a gift, and a school that LOVES her just presented her with a gift. She was very tired of the constant media backlash of the school (which I don't blame her as all of the staff that created the problems were gone), was very emotional of the current situation, and made an "analogy" of a situation....Kim was standing up for her school as she is a very loyal person (to fault)...The words Kim used gave the media an opportunity to go after her and make this something it wasn't. I'll never understand how some people can complain about the media, but on the other hand believe everything they say, especially if it's about someone they don't like.
Thank you for the feedback. I have edited out some of your comments to point out concerns.

Yes, I too have been a big Kim fan since the days of La Tech in fact. Her ascension to the top of the coaching ranks is a study of textbook hard work, passion and smarts.

I also saw the whole thing live. The fact is her passion is a two edge sword and while it generally serves her well, there have been many occasions where it has let her down, either coaching games or in making poor comments like this one. She knows she is a beacon for women at that school as the flagship Women’s Sports program. She came up with the whole “us against the world” stance as she felt people were denigrating the School and instead of parsing it out that the actions regarding this were reprehensible AND THEN extolling the attributes of the rest of the institution, she defended the acts as well. Was that her intent, of course not. However she then added to her problems with comments a few days later by not wanting to talk about it telling reporters “to read her Michelle Voepelle article in which she tried to address the situation”. Even Michelle was aghast that Kim told reports to use Michelle’s article as the explanation. Then again, two days after that comment to reporters she had to face the press (School administration met and discussed this with her to do) which, she then did a great mea culpa and seemed to grasp the true gravity of her comments.

Mistakes happen, some small and some large. This one looms more towards the large. To not comprehend that Your School made major errors in judgement over many years regarding the rights and protection of women is a big issue. She did address that later on and I truly believe and support her.

Now, I too played a D1 sport and have 2 D1 sons now doing the same. I absolutely understand the lack of support coaches receive and also see the blind support they also receive. Being measured in your thoughts is hard at times.

So yes, I stand by my original comments as her DUMB COMMENTS, brought about by the blind passion she has for the School.

Kim is what all administrations should strive to get as coaches, smart, motivated, loyal, committed and passionate. Howevr, know when to to stand your ground on logic when the School errs in their own judgement.
Respectfully submitted
DefenseBB

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom