Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Reaction Score
Thanks for the input, fanboy. And of course you have no data to support that, only wishful thinking. I think you were predicting a blowout victory over Holy Cross, were you not? After blaming the hot weather and wrong shoes for the Fresno debacle?

I did not say UConn would have trouble with CCSU, only inferred that it was a possibility. They did have trouble with HC, Yale, and UMass last year. So data do exist that support the premise that trouble with CCSU is a possibility. Think analytically. You will be less disappointed when things don't go your way.
forget about the data.. I'm on your side... didn't mean for you to go all analytical... Let's just agree that we hope to see a much better showing on the field going forward...

Reaction Score
It's just that UConn has seemed to struggle against every FCS team they have played recently and that I have seen that movie so many times now that it has become ingrained. Sorry about that. I do not expect struggles against CCSU. But I would not be surprised if it did happen based on prior performance. And if it did, that would be Zion's first chance at PT in my opinion ... unless TR gets injured earlier.

Reaction Score
It's just that UConn has seemed to struggle against every FCS team they have played recently and that I have seen that movie so many times now that it has become ingrained. Sorry about that. I do not expect struggles against CCSU. But I would not be surprised if it did happen based on prior performance. And if it did, that would be Zion's first chance at PT in my opinion ... unless TR gets injured earlier.
Sounds like it is less about CCSU and more about PTSD.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the input, fanboy. And of course you have no data to support that, only wishful thinking. I think you were predicting a blowout victory over Holy Cross, were you not? After blaming the hot weather and wrong shoes for the Fresno debacle?

I did not say UConn would have trouble with CCSU, only inferred that it was a possibility. They did have trouble with HC, Yale, and UMass last year. So data do exist that support the premise that trouble with CCSU is a possibility. Think analytically. You will be less disappointed when things don't go your way.
I don’t believe you can think analytically because you don’t have the correct data. Lot of new players obviously a new coaching staff etc. I personally think we are going to be much better but no one knows until we play.

Reaction Score
According to the Recap from ThisIsUconnCountry they thought Zion and TR as one and two and they had separated themselves competing for starter, but in the last practice Cale came and rocked out and they didn't do great, so it may be a three man contest for starter. Said Tyler Phommachanh did not get many snaps.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
According to the Recap from ThisIsUconnCountry they thought Zion and TR as one and two and they had separated themselves competing for starter, but in the last practice Cale came and rocked out and they didn't do great, so it may be a three man contest for starter. Said Tyler Phommachanh did not get many snaps.

Great info on that podcast. Said Millen may not have thrown an INT all camp. Also said he scooped up a bad snap, gathered himself and zipped a pass for a completion.

Roberson started with a lead over Zion due to spring ball and more time with the playbook.

The fact that Turner has made it competitive in 6-8 weeks on campus and two weeks of camp.............

Reaction Score
I don’t care who it is, but we need to hear about some clear cut leader pretty soon. Game day is around right around the corner.

Reaction Score
I am with whomever said the beginning of game week, 8/20. But when will it be announced? That day, Wednesday 8/23, or they may simply sent out the starter on game day with no announcement. But anyone with practice access will know by CoB 8/21.

Reaction Score
Relax. Today is he 9th the opener is the 27th. To have a full normal week of game planning and prep, the team the decision needs to be made by the 20th. Anything sooner is gravy.
I am hearing that Zion is giving TQ a run for his money. I think Zion might have the strongest arm on the team, if you look at some of the few clips we have seen, he puts the ball at the highest point for the receiver to go up and grab it.

Reaction Score
Relax. Today is he 9th the opener is the 27th. To have a full normal week of game planning and prep, the team the decision needs to be made by the 20th. Anything sooner is gravy.
I’m relaxed, but with two + weeks of practice to go, I’d like to transition to the starter taking the majority of the snaps sooner that later. On the other hand,I’m definitely happy that we have more than one competent QB based on what we know.

Reaction Score
I’m relaxed, but with two + weeks of practice to go, I’d like to transition to the starter taking the majority of the snaps sooner that later. On the other hand,I’m definitely happy that we have more than one competent QB based on what we know.

Don’t expect any decision, at least publicly, until next Tuesday, at the earliest. The Huskies will hold a scrimmage on Saturday, open to the media, which could have a major impact on the ultimate call.”

Reaction Score
Don’t expect any decision, at least publicly, until next Tuesday, at the earliest. The Huskies will hold a scrimmage on Saturday, open to the media, which could have a major impact on the ultimate call.”
Maybe. But I think that Mora will base his decision on the practice film. The QB who reads the defense and gets us into the right play is more valuable than the best passer.

The media will ohhh and ahh about completions and arm strength in the scrimmage. And it's nice to have those skills. But Mora is a grown up. It's about way more than that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'd say good news is game plan and offense packages for Turner and Roberson will probably be very similar. And if Tyler Phommachanh makes his way in to the game, his plays will be similar too.

With it looking like a 2 man race, as of now, you can work the OLine, WR's and stuff and then get the QB in there towards the end. Yes, it's always good to settle on the QB and get in a rhythm but it's not like the coaches have to figure out the QB before deciding on major offensive schemes.

Millen will require more of a pro set offense but you can work that easy enough.

Reaction Score
I'd say good news is game plan and offense packages for Turner and Roberson will probably be very similar. And if Tyler Phommachanh makes his way in to the game, his plays will be similar too.

With it looking like a 2 man race, as of now, you can work the OLine, WR's and stuff and then get the QB in there towards the end. Yes, it's always good to settle on the QB and get in a rhythm but it's not like the coaches have to figure out the QB before deciding on major offensive schemes.

Millen will require more of a pro set offense but you can work that easy enough.

It sounds like Puma is #4.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It sounds like Puma is #4.
He’s not ready to play anyway. He’ll just get hurt again.

yes, would agree Roberson and Turner have made it to where there is no need to rush Tyler Phommachanh back 9 months after a knee injury.

My larger point was the staff doesn't need to figure out four different play sets and schemes for four different QB's. Three of them are similar. Millen has different skills but a competent staff should have a play package ready for him should he need to come in mid-game.

Reaction Score
I don’t care who it is, but we need to hear about some clear cut leader pretty soon. Game day is around right around the corner.

Really?

Maybe send an email to HCJM to remind him

Reaction Score
Roberson starts. Tyler does not change positions. HCJM has been clear that Zion has IT, but he also makes frosh mistakes and we can’t afford that.
Good call, your insight is impeccable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom