Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Reaction Score
My opinion, we'll know who our guy is going into week 0 (barring any injuries) a week from now... Gotta get him prepped (along with the rest of the projected starters) for this game over a 2 week period... All things considering... there's a sense of urgency with our program as well... just sayin...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll also go out on a limb and make a prediction.

Between injuries and performance UConn will play at least 3 QB's this year. I won't include taking snaps in a blowout win (or, try to imagine the small possibility of UConn being on the receiving end of a blowout loss).

I'm talking legit snaps in a competitive game. Three QB's this season.

Reaction Score

Between injuries and performance UConn will play at least 3 QB's this year. I won't include taking snaps in a blowout win (or, try to imagine the small possibility of UConn being on the receiving end of a blowout loss).

in a majority of years this has been a safe bet and the odds of this happening go up when we don't have a proven starter returning.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

Some limbs might be scary to tread on; you could park a volkswagon this one.

Reaction Score

And if it happens, we're in trouble.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
in a majority of years this has been a safe bet and the odds of this happening go up when we don't have a proven starter returning.
Some limbs might be scary to tread on; you could park a volkswagon this one.
And if it happens, we're in trouble.

I brought that up because regardless of who is named starter for the first game, the back up and probably third stringer are taking snaps this season and will be able to make their case based on game film.
Not saying it's Wally Pipp level but backup QB will have chance this season to supplant game #1 starter.

Reaction Score
I agree that at least 3 QB's will see the field this year. Remember the team wants a running QB so it will be very easy for them to get dinged up from game play. It doesn't need to be a season ending injury to bring in a different QB.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Yep, seem highly probable to me that we see multiple starts from three of these guys and hopefully by November we have a clear leader and a horse for 2023. Of course after November begins QB portal mania that probably wont end until July'23....I hope we remain a net winner in that next portal round like I think we were in the 2022 offseason. Every offseason going forward will probably see a near full redraft of QBs. It will be nutz.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt we use 3. I don’t think Mora wants to use 2, but my guess is he ultimately will. My prediction is something like this: Roberson starts the season and plays roughly the first half. Then Zion comes in and takes over. Maybe it’s after an injury, maybe in a difficult loss, maybe Mora just decides it is time and Zion is ready. The only wild card is if Roberson leads them to a few upsets and generally plays great.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Roberson will be the guy, with seemingly Turner ready to step in for injury or underwhelming performance.

I hope Tyler accepts a role change once it becomes clear we’ve moved on at his position. He has too much athletic talent to waste as a middling QB for a different G5 team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Roberson will be the guy, with seemingly Turner ready to step in for injury or underwhelming performance.

I hope Tyler accepts a role change once it becomes clear we’ve moved on at his position. He has too much athletic talent to waste as a middling QB for a different G5 team.

What other position do you see for Tyler Phommachanh?

Reaction Score
If Tyler really does switch positions, what a luxury to have him on the roster should QBs 1 and 2 go down.

I’d have a hard time giving up on playing QB just yet if I were him. He looked pretty good.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt we use 3. I don’t think Mora wants to use 2, but my guess is he ultimately will. My prediction is something like this: Roberson starts the season and plays roughly the first half. Then Zion comes in and takes over. Maybe it’s after an injury, maybe in a difficult loss, maybe Mora just decides it is time and Zion is ready. The only wild card is if Roberson leads them to a few upsets and generally plays great.
Sounds like something FHCRE and Redpants tried over the past few years. I give Mora a lot more credit to do this right than either of those two buffoons ever did.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm not advocating for three but I think it happens.

Reaction Score
Sounds like something FHCRE and Redpants tried over the past few years. I give Mora a lot more credit to do this right than either of those two buffoons ever did.
It’s not that uncommon with true freshman quarterbacks. The upperclass an starts the season then gets replaced midway through.

Reaction Score
UConn is not starting a true freshmen behind an unproven OL. At least for the first two games. Now if things go badly against the Aggies and TR fails to move the team against CCSU in the first half, then the possibility of a QB change in the second half presents itself. I would not be surprised to see Zion in that situation.

Reaction Score
UConn is not starting a true freshmen behind an unproven OL. At least for the first two games. Now if things go badly against the Aggies and TR fails to move the team against CCSU in the first half, then the possibility of a QB change in the second half presents itself. I would not be surprised to see Zion in that situation.
Love the input brother, but we as UConn Football fans have to start untraining our minds with the pessimism that was presented to us with our QB situation under Edsall 2.0. This is a little different... Glass half full... I can't see us struggling against CCSU.. It may look a little rocky early, but I see a team that does what it's supposed to do against a FCS opponent this time around.. Zero disrespect to them, but we're built different... top to bottom... HC, legit staff, legit players at the 1st 2 levels (my opinion), legit size, experience... Just gotta really put it together over the next 2 1/2 weeks then hit somebody else in week 0.. We'll be fine... (we better be)...

Reaction Score
Love the input brother, but we as UConn Football fans have to start untraining our minds with the pessimism that was presented to us with our QB situation under Edsall 2.0. This is a little different... Glass half full... I can't see us struggling against CCSU.. It may look a little rocky early, but I see a team that does what it's supposed to do against a FCS opponent this time around.. Zero disrespect to them, but we're built different... top to bottom... HC, legit staff, legit players at the 1st 2 levels (my opinion), legit size, experience... Just gotta really put it together over the next 2 1/2 weeks then hit somebody else in week 0.. We'll be fine... (we better be)...
FWIW Central was picked to finish 4th at the NEC media day.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the input, fanboy. And of course you have no data to support that, only wishful thinking. I think you were predicting a blowout victory over Holy Cross, were you not? After blaming the hot weather and wrong shoes for the Fresno debacle?

I did not say UConn would have trouble with CCSU, only inferred that it was a possibility. They did have trouble with HC, Yale, and UMass last year. So data do exist that support the premise that trouble with CCSU is a possibility. Think analytically. You will be less disappointed when things don't go your way.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom