Fab Melo News | The Boneyard

Fab Melo News

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The dude has been a total beast in the D League.

Funny what happens when you let a big man play a real defensive style.

Reaction Score
A lot to learn for a younger guy who played zone all his life and was already raw upon arrival to the NBA. Guessing he would've been more prepared if he went elsewhere..........

For C's fans sake hope he can help at some point but being from Cuse who knows...........:eek:

Reaction Score

Is that why Thabeet is tearing it up?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

zls44

Reaction Score

Its been a struggle. But the ratio of successful NBA players to Thabeets is not an argument any Syracuse fan wants to have. Ever. And you know that.

Jeff Adrien's path is a good one for Melo to follow.

caw

Reaction Score

Three things:

• Any Cuse fan still arguing that Melo is better and will be better than Drummond?
  • Thabeet played almost a one-man zone at UConn, so I agree with the idea that the zone sucks at helping you prepare for the NBA. Then again Thabeet did pretty well in the NBDL like Melo.
  • Do you really want to compare Thabeet and Melo at the same points in their careers? Fine. Let's look at the progression from a Syracuse POV.
Melo walked into Syracuse a MCD's All-American and about the #14 player in his class and the #1 center. He played 33 games at 10 MPG and astounded by averaging 2.3 PPG, 1.9 RPG and .8 BPG. During the summer he worked hard and survived a very dangerous encounter with a car; where the car attacked his fist. Of course no penalty as it was deemed Fab was the victim. In his sophomore year he exploded by playing 30 games at 25 MPG and averaging 7.8 PPG, 5.8 RPG and 2.9 BPG. In the midst of dominating the game as no center has before, he was unjustly thrown off the team nearly two months into the second semester for failing out of school in the first semester. The indignity of having to study at college and actually pass a class. He was then drafted 13 spots after the UConn slacker Drummond, who he had thoroughly dominated in the games he was totally eligible to play. He vowed he would show that he was the steal of the draft and he did. He would prove everyone wrong by dominating in the NBDL and eventually being recalled in glory to a Celtics team in desperate need of a big man to protect the paint or because he banged his head on a door and can't see straight. The Celtics wait with bated breath...

Thabeet meanwhile was the 64th or so recruit when he signed with UConn, mid-major talent at best. His freshman year he failed miserably by only averaging 6.2 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 3.8 BPG in 31 games at 24 MPG. His sophomore year he struggled further averaging 10.4 PPG, 7.9 RPG and 4.5 BPG in 33 games and 31 MPG. By the time he was an old man UConn finally figured out how to hide his flaws and he squeaked out 13.6 PPG, 10.8 RPG and 4.2 BPG in 36 games and 32 MPG. Not only did UConn figure out how to hide the immobile big man, they also lucked into a FF when their starting two-guard got injured mid-season. Thabeet made a huge mistake and left for the NBA where he fooled the Memphis GM into drafting him second. Thabeet lucked into a great situation in Memphis with no other bigs on the roster to compete with, forcing the coach to play him 68 games as a rookie.

Now in reality Thabeet has pretty much outdone the much higher (high school) ranked Melo in every year they played. Not only that Thabeet is actually a likable guy whereas Melo failed out of school and punched a car while on campus. Thabeet may be a bust based on his draft status but compared to where they started from when each school got their hands on them, he's a huge success.

zls44

Reaction Score
Caw, who played in more final fours?

Reaction Score

Jake Voskhul was a better pro than Fab Melo will ever be....how you feeling about that one Cappy?;)

caw

Reaction Score
Caw, who played in more final fours?

LOL, even more fun.

Here are the minutes played in the NCAAT by both Fab Melo and Hasheem Thabeet, can you tell me which belong to which player?

1. 20
  2. 20
  3. 12
  4. 36
  5. 26
  6. 5
  7. 36
  8. 37

Reaction Score
Its been a struggle. But the ratio of successful NBA players to Thabeets is not an argument any Syracuse fan wants to have. Ever. And you know that.

Jeff Adrien's path is a good one for Melo to follow.
He said it was solely because of not playing man to man. My point was if that were true, Thabeet would be killing it in the NBA.
The fact is SU plays man 80/90% of the time in practice. They can play it in games if needed. The zone vs man issue is nonsense. When MacNamara was torching teams, I never heard anyone say the other team should switch out of man.
Learning man to man is easy. 2 years of zone has nothing to do with Melo being in the NBA.
The fact is that JB often takes marginal NBA talents (Moten, Flynn, D Johnson, W. Johnson, A. Rautins, etc.) and puts them in position to maximize their talent, and get an NBA shot. When they don't do well, people wonder why. Some SU guys have had injuries (L. Rautins, Owens, Flynn), DC had a heart ailment. Some like Pearl were a disaster.
Hey, your JC said our JB was tbe best coach in college.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He said it was solely because of not playing man to man. My point was if that were true, Thabeet would be killing it in the NBA.
The fact is SU plays man 80/90% of the time in practice. They can play it in games if needed. The zone vs man issue is nonsense. When MacNamara was torching teams, I never heard anyone say the other team should switch out of man.
Learning man to man is easy. 2 years of zone has nothing to do with Melo being in the NBA.
The fact is that JB often takes marginal NBA talents (Moten, Flynn, D Johnson, W. Johnson, A. Rautins, etc.) and puts them in position to maximize their talent, and get an NBA shot. When they don't do well, people wonder why. Some SU guys have had injuries (L. Rautins, Owens, Flynn), DC had a heart ailment. Some like Pearl were a disaster.

He said JB was the best coach in college basketball from November to February.

Reaction Score

Maximize talents? Where are they and a cup of coffee doesn't "maximize" talent. Travis Knight, Kevin Ollie, Jake Voskhul, Hilton Armstrong.....now that's maximizing talent staying in the league and getting paychecks. You can only be a Cuse fan to honestly believe that playing zone throughout your career does not affect your ability when you get to an NBA camp.....habits die hard and playing zone cannot prepare for you despite all the man they play in practice:rolleyes:........Learning man-to-man is easy huh? Where did you play? All the nuances of the man and doing it well takes time and practice so you can guard the games best players at the next level efficiently. You are a Cuse fan I get it, you think the zone man thing is nonsense....check the rosters and the playing time of recent Cuse players, it's really that simple!

caw

Reaction Score
Maximize talents? Where are they and a cup of coffee doesn't "maximize" talent. Travis Knight, Kevin Ollie, Jake Voskhul, Hilton Armstrong.....now that's maximizing talent staying in the league and getting paychecks. You can only be a Cuse fan to honestly believe that playing zone throughout your career does not affect your ability when you get to an NBA camp.....habits die hard and playing zone cannot prepare for you despite all the man they play in practice:rolleyes:........Learning man-to-man is easy huh? Where did you play? All the nuances of the man and doing it well takes time and practice so you can guard the games best players at the next level efficiently. You are a Cuse fan I get it, you think the zone man thing is nonsense....check the rosters and the playing time of recent Cuse players, it's really that simple!

Not to mention, even Cuse's best player in the pro's (really the only one playing well) is consistently hammered for his awful defense. He gets better the longer he's in the league, but he's still pretty bad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Thabeet couldn't even dunk when he got to UConn. If he went to Cuse, he wouldn't even have a sniff of the D-league. Melo is a stiff.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
The fact is SU plays man 80/90% of the time in practice.

You really expect anyone to believe that the base D used by 'Cuse almost exclusively in games is only being taught 10-20% of the time in practice and man2man is taught 80-90% of the time. If that is what you are trying to say, I'm calling BS.

Reaction Score
Not to mention, even Cuse's best player in the pro's (really the only one playing well) is consistently hammered for his awful defense. He gets better the longer he's in the league, but he's still pretty bad.
Wait are you really saying that if Carmelo spent 6 months at UConn then 10 years in the NBA he'd be much better at defense than 6 months at Syracuse and 10 years in the NBA?

Reaction Score
You really expect anyone to believe that the base D used by 'Cuse almost exclusively in games is only being taught 10-20% of the time in practice and man2man is taught 80-90% of the time. If that is what you are trying to say, I'm calling BS.
Yea you're right. Cuse never plays against man to man defense in games so there's no need to practice against it.

Reaction Score

Yea because he wasn't the BE DPOY or anything.

H

Husk-E

I think we should all just be friends on this board. Ha, couldn't even type that with a straight face...

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Yea you're right. Cuse never plays against man to man defense in games so there's no need to practice against it.

Hey Genius, when you are practicing against a defense, you are coaching offense. When the staff is coaching defense, I'm sure very little time is spent coaching M2M since it would be asinine to spend much time coaching something rarely used.

Reaction Score
Yea because he wasn't the BE DPOY or anything.

We appreciate Cappy and your interest in UConn basketball.......and thanks for the heads up on how much man they play in practice, we could tell!!!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom