FA Cup weekend | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FA Cup weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope Liverpool gets Man U/Arsenal winner (United) in one semi, and Villa gets Reading in the other.

How on earth did the 2 strongest teams remaining matched-up against each other in the quarterfinals?

Reaction Score
I thought that Man U game had some really controversial calls yesterday.

I think that the change to the offsides rule is really bad. Who is to say Rooney wasn't interfering? If the keeper has to be concerned with a possible Rooney deflection then it is interference. I don't think that goal should have stood. It was similar to Colombia's first goal against the US last fall.

Secondly, Rooney should be punished retroactively for simulation. Just shameless.

Reaction Score
I love the random draw in these tournaments. You have to be ready to beat a top team at any point in the tournament. Creates a much more interesting path as opposed to simply seeding teams.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Blackburn beat Liverpool it would would be high comedy in the semis.

Reaction Score
I thought that Man U game had some really controversial calls yesterday.

I think that the change to the offsides rule is really bad. Who is to say Rooney wasn't interfering? If the keeper has to be concerned with a possible Rooney deflection then it is interference. I don't think that goal should have stood. It was similar to Colombia's first goal against the US last fall.

Secondly, Rooney should be punished retroactively for simulation. Just shameless.

Agree. Isn't that why some folks in FIFA are pressing to go back to the 'old' offside rule where if anyone is offside, it's not a goal? I think the current rule was made to allow for goals in rebounds and other 'instant' plays like that to count because someone was almost always offside. But, of course, players learned and started to use a traditionally offside player as a feint/distraction/etc. and the refs never call it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
Agree. Isn't that why some folks in FIFA are pressing to go back to the 'old' offside rule where if anyone is offside, it's not a goal? I think the current rule was made to allow for goals in rebounds and other 'instant' plays like that to count because someone was almost always offside. But, of course, players learned and started to use a traditionally offside player as a feint/distraction/etc. and the refs never call it.

It's a good rule, just needs a fix. In the past many scoring chances were stopped because some guy across the field was off or an player is knocked down near the end line and can't get back on side.

They should whistle any player facing the goal along the vector of the ball. So if the cross in coming in and and the attacking off side player is along the flight where he could get to it, he should be called off if he is facing at all forward (in not retreating)

The keeper has to account for him whether he is screening him of not. Halting a run 8 yards out is almost always a distraction to the keeper and should be called almost every time provided the shot/cross is heading to that side.

Reaction Score
It's a good rule, just needs a fix. In the past many scoring chances were stopped because some guy across the field was off or an player is knocked down near the end line and can't get back on side.

They should whistle any player facing the goal along the vector of the ball. So if the cross in coming in and and the attacking off side player is along the flight where he could get to it, he should be called off if he is facing at all forward (in not retreating)

The keeper has to account for him whether he is screening him of not. Halting a run 8 yards out is almost always a distraction to the keeper and should be called almost every time provided the shot/cross is heading to that side.

Most of the disputed goals I can think of involved players along the vector of the ball (Rooney basically had to move out of the ball's path), or inside the six yard box, (Think the Colombia-US Friendly).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Most of the disputed goals I can think of involved players along the vector of the ball (Rooney basically had to move out of the ball's path), or inside the six yard box, (Think the Colombia-US Friendly).

Precisely, as if a keeper is going to ignore Rooney inside the box.

Reaction Score
That's the change I would like to see, if any player is offside position and inside the six yard box, it should be blown offsides, regardless of where the shot is coming from.

Reaction Score
That's the change I would like to see, if any player is offside position and inside the six yard box, it should be blown offsides, regardless of where the shot is coming from.

I agree. As for calling a player who is only a threat (vector) to shoot being offsides elsewhere on the field who does not have the ball leaves such a call up to the judgement of the referees, which is a very scary thought. That is the primary reason why I would agree to going back to the 'original' offsides rule simply to take make the decision black and while and eliminate referee judgment calls.

Just to highlight, this was a classic blown off-side call under either rule - '10 World Cup Argentina v. Mexico.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How in the hell are Bradford and Reading on TV but not West Brom and Villa. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Reaction Score
Only option seemed to be $20 month sign up for the go app.

So I'm listening on XM.

Yeah it's rare Fox Soccer Plus actually has a game that I REALLY want to watch.

Haven't decided on the go app. Not sure what I would use it for.

Reaction Score
Programming reminder.... United v. Arsenal at 3:45pm today. LVG was quoted last week "...League play more important than FA Cup". Maybe managing expectations of his fans if he sits a couple regulars, or gamesmanship (or an early excuse if they don't get the result). Their next match isn't until Sunday, so there's plenty of time to play his starters and have them well rested for Spurs.

Personally I'm hoping for a draw to get them both playing another midweek match for the replay.

Reaction Score
Looks like Man U is going a season without any silverware and (hopefully) no Champions nor Europe visit. Just watched the match on tape and it was an exciting start with both team taking good shots and thus a 1 to 1 draw at half. In the second, Man U simply fell apart highlighted by Valencia gift wrapping the wining goal for Welbeck (I see those type of goals in elementary school, not the FA Cup) while Man U decided to try and dive their way to a second goal only see flashes of yellow. This included including the fistful of jersey that Di Maria grabbed, which, unfortunately for him did not below to an Arsenal player as the Gunners had on their alternate blue kit and was instead the referee's jersey. For that, the 60 million Pond man got some nice red plastic ware that allowed him to watch the final 15 minutes from the locker room.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Draw for Semi's at Wembley April 18/19th.

Bradford/Reading vs Arsenal
Aston Villa vs Liverpool/Blackburn

Glad the games are at Wembley, get a decent field.

Reaction Score
Reading giving Arsenal all they can handle. Gunners benefiting from some generous officiating to say the least. In 30minutes of extra time now, 1-1. Come on you Royals.

Reaction Score
Reading giving Arsenal all they can handle. Gunners benefiting from some generous officiating to say the least. In 30minutes of extra time now, 1-1. Come on you Royals.

Missed the game as I was keeping ten 9 years olds running around with large metal clubs trying to get them to play baseball and not Star Wars. Did catch OT. Gunners got gift on the winning goal. Looked like Reading's keeper was trying out for the English National team and did a bang-up job. How did Danny Williams do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom