FA Cup weekend | The Boneyard

FA Cup weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love the FA Cup. A true all in, anyone can beat anyone type tournament. 3rd round started this w/e w/ 64 teams remain and all the BPL teams have joined the tournament beginning today.
Love that small 2nd division clubs w/ tiny stadiums can host the top clubs. Liverpool travel to 2nd division Wimbledon. League 1 Yeovil Town hosts Man U. For our BYers less familiar with the format, these matchuos would be like an Alabama or Ohio State playing an away football game at Mount Union or Valdosta St., but there's a chance of an upset happening in FA Cup.

The clubs who got the toughest draws (or all BPL games) are: Leicester v. Newcastle, Arsenal v. Hull, Burnley v. Spurs, and Everton v. West Ham. Games are on Fox channels.

Reaction Score
I agree. Watching West Brom run over Gateshead at the moment.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Fun to watch. My Swans won easily over Tranmere so that was good. Bummed to see Blyth lost to Birmingham City. Last I looked they were up 2-0. Not even sure what level this team is on but this was one of my favorite lines from the ESPN article on the game.
Part-time barman Dale served up a pair of delicious finishes towards the end of the first period as the Evo-Stik Premier underdogs threatened to write another famous chapter in their storied FA Cup history.
http://www.espnfc.us/english-fa-cup/match/410263/blyth-spartans-birmingham-city/report

When a team of part time players have a chance against a Championship side it's pretty cool. Unfortunately they couldn't hold on.

More EPL teams playing tomorrow so will be fun to watch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nice to be able to see Arsenal vs Hull City. Replay of last year's final. :D

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fun to watch. My Swans won easily over Tranmere so that was good. Bummed to see Blyth lost to Birmingham City. Last I looked they were up 2-0. Not even sure what level this team is on but this was one of my favorite lines from the ESPN article on the game.

http://www.espnfc.us/english-fa-cup/match/410263/blyth-spartans-birmingham-city/report

When a team of part time players have a chance against a Championship side it's pretty cool. Unfortunately they couldn't hold on.

More EPL teams playing tomorrow so will be fun to watch.

7th division for Blyth. Premier Division of the Northern Premier League.

Barring a massive upset tomorrow, Cambridge United is going to be the lowest division team left - League 2.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
If Wrexham wins they'll be the lowest being in Conference Premier which is just below League 2.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Wrexham wins they'll be the lowest being in Conference Premier which is just below League 2.

Hence 'barring a massive upset'. :)

Reaction Score
There must be a huge party in Sheffield today. Sheffield United just upset QPR 3-0 and at the moment Sheffield Wednesday is leading Man City 1-0 (City will win going away, but at the moment "get your drinks in" Sheffield.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Man UTD 0 - 0 Yeovil Town at halftime . don't know if Yeovil can steal one, Van Gaal is probably giving a paint blistering halftime speech to the Man U locker room (sorry - dressing room, forgot my British) . But Yeovil has an awesome jersey at least: white and green stripes, and each green stripe is composed of tiny green stripes.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
So lowest team remaining will be from League 2. Kind of a bummer. Love seeing the underdogs knocking off a few higher league teams. Blyth had the best chance and blew it. Too bad. If a League 2 outfit knocks off a Prem power it will still be news next round.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Upsets don't come much bigger than the day I saw the Connecticut Wolves beat the Tampa Bay Mutiny in New Britain.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wrexham had a lead into the 80th minute. That hurts.

Reaction Score
Sheffield Wednesday with a tough loss at City, conceding the deciding goal in added time. They were 2 minutes from earning a replay back in Sheffield.

Reaction Score
Very happy with Arsenal's win over Hull, arguably one of the hardest match-ups for an EPL team drawing another EPL team. QPR took it on the chin. Southampton was also surprised in a draw with Ipswich.

Reaction Score
Draw for the 4th round fixtures occurred earlier today. Matches to be played weekend of Jan. 24th
Home vs. Away
Southampton/Ipswich Town vs. Crystal Palace
Cambridge United vs. Manchester United
Blackburn Rovers vs. Swansea City
Chelsea vs. Millwall
Derby County vs. Scunthorpe United/Chesterfield
Preston North End vs. Sheffield United
Birmingham City vs. West Bromwich Albion
Aston Villa vs. Bournemouth
Cardiff City vs. Reading
AFC Wimbledon/Liverpool vs. Bolton Wanderers
Burnley/Tottenham Hotspur vs. Leicester City
Brighton and Hove Albion vs. Arsenal
Rochdale vs. Stoke City
Sunderland vs. Fulham/Wolves
Doncaster Rovers/Bristol City vs. Everton/West Ham United
Manchester City vs. Middlesbrough

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Draw for the 4th round fixtures occurred earlier today. Matches to be played weekend of Jan. 24th
Home vs. Away

Brighton and Hove Albion vs. Arsenal
:D More than happy with that.

Reaction Score
Spurs @ Burnley ends 1-1, replay at the White Hart Lane middle of next week. Spurs went mostly B-team, but mixed in some regulars. Really hope they focus on Premiere League and Europa matches in the coming months. They are in the discussion for top 4, and with the winner of Europa qualifying for CL there is some incentive to do well there.

Reaction Score
Spurs @ Burnley ends 1-1, replay at the White Hart Lane middle of next week. Spurs went mostly B-team, but mixed in some regulars. Really hope they focus on Premiere League and Europa matches in the coming months. They are in the discussion for top 4, and with the winner of Europa qualifying for CL there is some incentive to do well there.

Spurs have A and B team? Wow. I thought they just had one, a B team, because I can't ever remember them fielding a team good enough to be considered an A Team :cool:

Reaction Score
Spurs have A and B team? Wow. I thought they just had one, a B team, because I can't ever remember them fielding a team good enough to be considered an A Team :cool:
That B team got the draw at The Emirates this past Fall. Their A team will get the 3 points at the Lane this Spring.

Reaction Score
That B team got the draw at The Emirates this past Fall. Their A team will get the 3 points at the Lane this Spring.

Three points, eh? I guess miracles can happen, such as the Spurs beating the Gunners or Wegner signing a legitimate center defender.

Series history: Arsenal 77 Wins, Tottenham 54 wins, 48 Draws.

Reaction Score
Three points, eh? I guess miracles can happen, such as the Spurs beating the Gunners or Wegner signing a legitimate center defender.

Series history: Arsenal 77 Wins, Tottenham 54 wins, 48 Draws.
You're starting to sound like a Rutgers or BC fan ;) .... sorry, that was a low blow. Maybe a Chelsea fan....right before Spurs put the wood to them on NYD snapping a 1 milion game winless streak v. the Blues.

Reaction Score
You starting to sound like a Rutgers or BC fan ;) .... sorry, that was a low blow.

Absolutely! At least Tottenham (and Arsenal) have earned and continue to earn their way into the EPL and have won some hardware along the way unlike Rutgers who got in because they just happen to be 35 miles from NYC and BC whose football supremacy rests on a single play over 30 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom