Expectations | The Boneyard

Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last year expectations were reasonable: hold our own in the BE, win a few games in the BE tourney, make the NCAA tournery and maybe make the sweet 16. We ended up with a NCC.
This year we get Boatright, , Daniels and finally Drummond and all of a sudden our expectations are through the roof despite losing our leading scorer, leader, best point defender, crunch time go to guy and probably the best college player in the country.
I'm trying to curb my expectations but it is damn hard with this group.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Last year expectations were reasonable: hold our own in the BE, win a few games in the BE tourney, make the NCAA tournery and maybe make the sweet 16. We ended up with a NCC.
This year we get Boatright, , Daniels and finally Drummond and all of a sudden our expectations are through the roof despite losing our leading scorer, leader, best point defender, crunch time go to guy and probably the best college player in the country.
+1

Reaction Score
I just this is the kind of season everyone has to be able to enjoy no matter what happens - all should be gravy after a run like last year and it's just the kind of season you sit back and enjoy. It'd be great to see some repeats, but in one and done formats, so much can happen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i expect top 4 in the big east and elite 8 in the NCAA's. i'd truly be disappointed with anything less. you can't add a guy like Drummond, and have the core group coming back, like we do, and not have high expectations.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've decided to go full steam ahead. My expectations are extremely high. I want to savor every moment of the season and that includes the preseason.

I made a similar decision before the anouncement by AD regarding his intentions this summer. I was psyched, and determined to be positive he was UConn bound. For a week I played it that way. And then he announced it was W&M. No big deal. I switched gears and got excited about Dunn. And then he announces he's PC bound.

Was I devastated. Heck no. Why should I have been. We still have JC. We still have 3 NC's. No one is taking them away. I've got my trophies. I'm satisfied. Everything else is icing on the cake.

I'm through playing it safe. I've got a good dose of Makers Muppet in me. And now that AD is in the fold I can look back and always know that I have one week up on most UConn fans in being positive about Andre. Can people who played it safe say that? no.

I'm through with waiting until the season is over before I let my emotions run wild. No more pressure. No more performance hang ups. No more downplaying my expectations to the cautious. The idiots who will scream bloody murder at the team should expectations fall short will do so whether we give them advice or not. So I'm not letting this type of fan impact me for one second.

I've joined the Kentucky fans, put on my bib overalls and unbuckled one of the straps. Ain't no one getting in my way for me to be rootin and tootin for my people. (Big wad of spit hitting the spittoon with that declaration). Heck if you have to be stupid to be excited, I'm joining the stupid clan. That clan makes the most out of life. If my cousin Spooner's still goes down, I'm headin across the border to rob a liquor store of its Jack Daniels. I'll just pour the bottle into one of my jugs and pretend it ain't crap.

You think it's smart to laugh at rednecks who holler and hoot about any and everything? I don't. How can it be smart spending a lot of energy fighting happiness. That's got to be one of the dumbest things man ever invented. So I'm telling my fellow Boneyarders, wake up every morning and read Maker Muppets post. Get it into your system. Start the refrain "I'm excited as hell and I'm not going to be a pansy ass about my teams anymore!"

And while your at it make a toast and take a swig from the jug for the greatest sports fan that ever set foot on this planet - RutgersAl. Can anyone claim they know someone who is more excited and ridiculous about the teams he roots for. He's my hero. He should be yours as well.

Yesiree, Southern fans, RutgersAl and Makers Muppet. Let them be your role models and not some whiney prepubescent fan who's got a turd stuck up his *ss because he was taught early in life that Spock is the role model and Dr. McCoy was blasphemy to the human race. I've got a secret folks. Spock is the alien.

Fight your habit of playing things safe. Let your emotions run through you. If the team and season fall apart, what is the worse that can happen to you. Your male part won't go flaccid because the team ts. You did that. If this season ends bad move on. If you carry it with you who is the moron. Not RutgersAl. Not some whiskey swigging hick. You are. If the season goes bad, take a good swig and begin the process of looking forward to next season or your next drink. It's that simple.

Laugh at 2006 and 2010. happens. Let George f#%@ing Mason be a celebration and not a dagger in your heart. Liquor is always better when we're happy. Think of 2006 and 2010 as karma. Spin those seasons this way. The gods were setting up all the JC naysayers who were celebrating his misfortunes. Whose laughing now.

So who is joining the redneck hillbillies, RutgersAl, the demi -god "Makers Muppet", Bluto Blutarsky, and myself, in getting excited about this season? Who feels like I do that this season is ours? Who is willing to put their necks on the line, hanging wise, and take the heat if the season craps out and be castigated as the anti mojos? Who understand that the only reason Makers Muppet is a hero is because fate let the team win in an extraordinary fashion? And had that not happened Makers Muppet would have been looked at like Gary Pariah Parrish? If you have the guts, then join me and be excited.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Your post is Dog worthy in length!
Just consider it an anti tweat. Never say anything in 140 characters or less if you can say it in 5000!

Bottom line is I'm not holding back on my exuberance. I was playing it that way before the addition of AD. So I'm not about to let logic get in my way now.

Reaction Score
Team oozes talent and po, but one remaining question is who gives us Kemba's "man of steel" impersonation. Who gives us his motor his sheer will and toughness. That's how lots of Big East games swing, not always to the most talented. I am hoping RB supplies maybe some of it. Big names don't guarantee we win games. I don't like this top 5 stuff.

Reaction Score
I doubt Boatright will come in as a frosh PG and give us the 'man of steel' type...I'd much rather see AO continue to step up as a leader and Shabazz come through as our floor general. Team captains for a reason.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Above all else, I'm a UConn Men's Basketball fan. I proudly slip on my National Flag Blue tinted glasses to read the schedule when it's announced, and every year, I look at each game as "we can win that one". I don't EXPECT to win 'em all. But I don't EXPECT to lose any, either. That's most seasons. This year, my expectations are higher. Why not?

Reaction Score
I just this is the kind of season everyone has to be able to enjoy no matter what happens - all should be gravy after a run like last year and it's just the kind of season you sit back and enjoy. It'd be great to see some repeats, but in one and done formats, so much can happen.
For me, it will only be enjoyable if we repeat. We EXPECT improvement in the team, based on experience and the added players, but seem to forget what we've lost. We NEED leadership, chemistry, and unselfishness, in addition to playing their guts out. If they can band together, leave all the egos outside the door, and apply themselves, I think they expect a repeat too.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm finding it hard to hold back as well. Last year was such a pleasant surprise. This upcoming season could set up many for disappointment if they don't live up to expectations. Eric has the bar at top 4 BE and E-8. I agree anything less than that would seem like a disappointment. I'm hoping for top 2 BE and an F-4. Of course I want to see us win the BE, BET and NCAAs and be a repeat national champion. The addition of Drummond certainly put that a greater possibility than it was, even though I still liked our team w/out AD.

I'm not about to predict anything but I am hopeful. A lot of things have to happen in one's favor to win it all. That's what happened last season. For it to happen back-to-back simply doesn't happen that often. It's not like UConn has a dominant team. There are a few equally if not more talented teams. That doesn't mean JC can't weave his magic again.

Reaction Score
A final 4 would be outstanding. A repeat would be beyond words.

Reaction Score
Whatever happens will be enjoyable. The NC last year was unexpected and wonderful and at least for me takes the pressure off this still very young team. They have an assortment of athletes, shooters, speed, defenders, size etc etc but they are still somewhat untested. None of them have played without Kemba yet and let's not diminish his value to that team. While I believe their depth and frosh can overcome many things KW brought to the table they need to see who can step up to put them on their shoulders when things aren't good.

I think they have the right attitude and will work hard. They will need to gain some sort of chemistry early on and that will not be easy as JC will be at his finest with the rope on the sidelines - after all look at the depth - the rope will be possibly shorter than ever. A nice easy OOC schedule is required to mature and it's there that helps. BUt it could also hurt this team as they need to be tested to see where they stand. As we know the BE will do that but there are many good teams.

Expectations - a solid season in the BE and a run in both tourney's is fine. Good fun basketball is all I ever want but as usual as they continue to win the expectations rise. Sweet 16, Elite 8 FF whatever as long as they play hard, grow and are fun to watch I'm good. They're kids - things happen on the way expecially when the expectations are too high.

Reaction Score
I've decided to go full steam ahead. My expectations are extremely high. I want to savor every moment of the season and that includes the preseason.

I made a similar decision before the anouncement by AD regarding his intentions this summer. I was psyched, and determined to be positive he was UConn bound. For a week I played it that way. And then he announced it was W&M. No big deal. I switched gears and got excited about Dunn. And then he announces he's PC bound.

Was I devastated. Heck no. Why should I have been. We still have JC. We still have 3 NC's. No one is taking them away. I've got my trophies. I'm satisfied. Everything else is icing on the cake.

I'm through playing it safe. I've got a good dose of Makers Muppet in me. And now that AD is in the fold I can look back and always know that I have one week up on most UConn fans in being positive about Andre. Can people who played it safe say that? no.

I'm through with waiting until the season is over before I let my emotions run wild. No more pressure. No more performance hang ups. No more downplaying my expectations to the cautious. The idiots who will scream bloody murder at the team should expectations fall short will do so whether we give them advice or not. So I'm not letting this type of fan impact me for one second.

I've joined the Kentucky fans, put on my bib overalls and unbuckled one of the straps. Ain't no one getting in my way for me to be rootin and tootin for my people. (Big wad of spit hitting the spittoon with that declaration). Heck if you have to be stupid to be excited, I'm joining the stupid clan. That clan makes the most out of life. If my cousin Spooner's still goes down, I'm headin across the border to rob a liquor store of its Jack Daniels. I'll just pour the bottle into one of my jugs and pretend it ain't crap.

You think it's smart to laugh at rednecks who holler and hoot about any and everything? I don't. How can it be smart spending a lot of energy fighting happiness. That's got to be one of the dumbest things man ever invented. So I'm telling my fellow Boneyarders, wake up every morning and read Maker Muppets post. Get it into your system. Start the refrain "I'm excited as hell and I'm not going to be a pansy ass about my teams anymore!"

And while your at it make a toast and take a swig from the jug for the greatest sports fan that ever set foot on this planet - RutgersAl. Can anyone claim they know someone who is more excited and ridiculous about the teams he roots for. He's my hero. He should be yours as well.

Yesiree, Southern fans, RutgersAl and Makers Muppet. Let them be your role models and not some whiney prepubescent fan who's got a turd stuck up his *ss because he was taught early in life that Spock is the role model and Dr. McCoy was blasphemy to the human race. I've got a secret folks. Spock is the alien.

Fight your habit of playing things safe. Let your emotions run through you. If the team and season fall apart, what is the worse that can happen to you. Your male part won't go flaccid because the team ts. You did that. If this season ends bad move on. If you carry it with you who is the moron. Not RutgersAl. Not some whiskey swigging hick. You are. If the season goes bad, take a good swig and begin the process of looking forward to next season or your next drink. It's that simple.

Laugh at 2006 and 2010. happens. Let George f#%@ing Mason be a celebration and not a dagger in your heart. Liquor is always better when we're happy. Think of 2006 and 2010 as karma. Spin those seasons this way. The gods were setting up all the JC naysayers who were celebrating his misfortunes. Whose laughing now.

So who is joining the redneck hillbillies, RutgersAl, the demi -god "Makers Muppet", Bluto Blutarsky, and myself, in getting excited about this season? Who feels like I do that this season is ours? Who is willing to put their necks on the line, hanging wise, and take the heat if the season craps out and be castigated as the anti mojos? Who understand that the only reason Makers Muppet is a hero is because fate let the team win in an extraordinary fashion? And had that not happened Makers Muppet would have been looked at like Gary Pariah Parrish? If you have the guts, then join me and be excited.

Where do I sign up? Sports should be fun. They shouldn't eat away at your soul like a national tragedy.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Personally - I subscribe fully to Bill Simmons and his "5 Year" theory. That being - Once a team has won a Championship, that they get a 5 year pass from the fans.
That said - Of course I am excited by the collection of talent assembled at Storrs for the upcoming season. The questions don't seem as numerous going into the season.

However, there are questions....

- How many of the incoming Frosh are going to be able to play defense the way JC demands - Not a simple task and one that will have significant ups and downs
- With so many scoring options - who will become the end of shot clock, half, and game shooter; and how successfully
- Who will have the hardest time adjusting to the demands of BE play (of the frosh mostly)
- Will there be enough playing time to go around to keep everyone happy (Chemistry Chemistry and Chemistry)
- Who (and it is always who, not if) ends up in JC's doghouse this season
- Given the early season schedule, how ready for BE play will the entire team be (and they were well battle tested last year going into BE Play)

Look I realize that there are multiple answers for each and every one of these questions, but I will watch and enjoy the team this season - because it is the how of the answering of those questions that I will follow most closely. The wins will come (easily at first, perhaps less so once BE play starts) but JC develops teams to be ready for March. Unfortunately that is what every team gets measured to (cheapening the regular season and conference standings).

As a fan since the freshman season of Corny Thompson, I have seen many different team compositions - This one is potentially stronger than any I have seen, maybe rivaling the 2006 squad (Gay, et all) and that team gave us one of our more painful losses. (and don't get me started on the Ray Allen UCLA game or Miss St or Florida, or (gasp) 1990's Dream Season)

Reaction Score
Personally - I subscribe fully to Bill Simmons and his "5 Year" theory. That being - Once a team has won a Championship, that they get a 5 year pass from the fans.
That said - Of course I am excited by the collection of talent assembled at Storrs for the upcoming season. The questions don't seem as numerous going into the season. quote]

I guess it depends on what kind of fan you are. Some fans expect to win it all every year and anything else is a massive disappointment. You would know this if you were a Yankee fan. Technically, you'd figure your teams obligation (in the pros anyway) would be to win the title once every 30 years or so, depending on how many teams are in the league. Thirty years ago, UConn would be beyond thrilled to witness a national championship just once in their life time. Now we are disappointed if we don't win one every five years or so. I guess that's what happens when you win three national championships in thriteen seasons. The bar is raised

Reaction Score
The only thing that tempers my expectations just a little is the fact we are giving the full reins to a soph at the point. I think Bazz will struggle a bit early and get into a groove later in the season. Taliek, Marcus, Ollie, Kemba all had growing pains in their second seasons.

Reaction Score
I've gotten more excited every day since AD committed. Anything less than another championship would be disappointing to me. Not nuclear meltdown disappointing, just the plain old "coulda had that". Everybody on this forum knows that this team has more than enough talent to win it all, and this is our most talented team yet in my opinion. Yes we have lost our best Husky ever, but we have another potential Husky great in RB, and two players I believe will be top line NBA guys after their time here.

Reaction Score
I dont think we`ve ever seen a uconn team bring back so much talent and then add such an elite recruiting class on top of it. i absolutely cant wait to see what this team is going to look like in action. i have visions of fastbreaks,blocked shots and alley oops dancing in my head.

Reaction Score
i don't think the expectations you listed for LAST season were all that reasonable. i personally did not expect them to even MAKE the tournament. for really the first time in his career, calhoun showed he could take a team of mostly freshmen and be successful. take all the support players from THAT team and add boatright, daniels, and drummond, and given the success calhoun had last year with young players, i think sky-high expectations are quite reasonable.

Reaction Score
For me, it will only be enjoyable if we repeat.

that sentiment is flat out ridiculous. the season starts in early november and doesn't end - based on your expectations - until the first week of april. you won't even know if your expectation can be met until after 5 months of basketball.

i'm flabbergasted at that statement.

Reaction Score
The only thing that tempers my expectations just a little is the fact we are giving the full reins to a soph at the point. I think Bazz will struggle a bit early and get into a groove later in the season. Taliek, Marcus, Ollie, Kemba all had growing pains in their second seasons.
el amin won it all his second season. just sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger