Expectations Going Forward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Expectations Going Forward

Reaction Score
It appears Hurley has been playing for the future in terms of playing Carlton over Cobb. He hasn't even been giving Cobb the opportunity to improve his D in the cupcake games. Not playing your best frontcourt offensive player and rebounder (of games against good comp) against the biggest game of the season is basically throwing in the towel on this year.
I don't know enough about Cobb's current predicament to have any real thoughts on this. To me it seemed like Hurley was just going with the hot hand during games, which to me is playing to win. Last couple games excluded.

Reaction Score
I don't know enough about Cobb's current predicament to have any real thoughts on this. To me it seemed like Hurley was just going with the hot hand during games, which to me is playing to win. Last couple games excluded.

Cobb was the hot hand the beginning of the season, then he got less than 10 minutes during numerous games. Its glaring. I really hope he's either injured, sick or kicked Hurley's dog.

Reaction Score
Cobb was the hot hand the beginning of the season, then he got less than 10 minutes during numerous games. Its glaring. I really hope he's either injured, sick or kicked Hurley's dog.
I don't remember it that way. To me what kept happening is he'd get into the game, make a couple bad plays on defense, carlton would go back in and play well and would get the majority of minutes the rest of the game. and then for some reason it was flipped against better competition.

Reaction Score
I don't remember it that way. To me what kept happening is he'd get into the game, make a couple bad plays on defense, carlton would go back in and play well and would get the majority of minutes the rest of the game. and then for some reason it was flipped against better competition.

So then you bench him the whole game when its against better competition? We have an egregious front court and you don't play the person that went 13 & 13 in our only decent win of the season? Even in the cupcakes when he's made mistakes you give him more than 10 mins to develop, unless you're solely bent on developing for the future. Its been painfully obvious, and it didn't give us a fighting chance today. There's definitely something really wrong with this situation.

1545533891071.png

Reaction Score
So then you bench him the whole game when its against better competition? We have an egregious front court and you don't play the person that went 13 & 13 in our only decent win of the season? Even in the cupcakes when he's made mistakes you give him more than 10 mins to develop, unless you're solely bent on developing for the future. Its been painfully obvious, and it didn't give us a fighting chance today. There's definitely something really wrong with this situation.

View attachment 37643
honestly it seems like Cobb only plays well against people his size. maybe it's mental. maybe it's a foot speed issue.

Reaction Score
Cobb has showed up in EVERY big game this season. I like Hurley, but it's ridiculous that he kept Cobb out today. Next to Cuse, this was our biggest game of the year. I don't care what Cobb did or didn't do in practice. I'm incredibly disappointed with Hurley.

Reaction Score
honestly it seems like Cobb only plays well against people his size. maybe it's mental. maybe it's a foot speed issue.

Perhaps, but we didn't get a chance to see how well he'd play against people his size today did we? Instead we got a whopping 12 pts and 11 rebounds from the 4 bigs that were graced with the pleasure of being allowed to play today.

Reaction Score
expectations? since day one of this season, I expect us to be in the ncaa's. nothing has changed. a blowout loss to the defending champions? in December? with a new coach? meh. by 1 or 101, it's still an L. saw enuff bricks from everyone today to build a sweet pizza oven. when everyone is that bad, no ONE is to blame. a real stinker. didn't a #1 seed lose the opening game in the tourney last year? some days chicken, some days feathers. don't have a cow, man. conference play hasn't even started, and if you listened closely, clark Kellogg gave big props to AAC this year. you'll seeeeeeeeeeee.
Your expectations have not changed, and you expect us to make the Ncaa's? After yet another game that should make us realize the limitations of this team, no one should be making this statement for this year's Huskies. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. The REALISTIC expectation should be a 19-20 win regular season, 1 or 2 wins in the AAC tournament, and an NIT appearance.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind other teams are either improving, stagnant or becoming worse. The good teams obviously are improving. Thankfully we are not getting worse, and still working with newness (coach, players and latecomers). But we're running out of time, and we have very little confidence building wins excluding mid-majors.

We will probably have to wait a season or two, because even if we perform better we appear to be leaderless, lack a proven sharpshooter, and lack big men who consistently produce. I haven' seen our conference foes, but if they are getting their acts together it could be a painful season.

Nonetheless, we are already better than last year.
Not getting worse??? What game did you watch today? Our "star" player is in a multi-game funk now, to be kind, our starting center has about the same averages as me against teams w a winning record, we value the ball as if it's toxic, and we haven't beaten a good team yet this Year headed into conference play. Exactly how are we not getting worse??

Reaction Score
Have to say, some of Hurley’s decisions today were inexplicable to me. No Cobb; leaving Adams on the court; no improvement on movement on O; continued over penetration by guards, sloppy passing and ball handling...head scratcher. I’d figure this stuff would start getting cleaned up.

Reaction Score
Then play that guy against the good competition, Carlton has certainly proven he can't play against good competition. I'm not exactly sure what it is with Cobb but he's in the doghouse. Jalen can putz around and he never rides the pine. Carlton can go whole games without getting a single point or rebound and he's in there.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The same as the season started 5 games over 500

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Your expectations have not changed, and you expect us to make the Ncaa's? After yet another game that should make us realize the limitations of this team, no one should be making this statement for this year's Huskies. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. The REALISTIC expectation should be a 19-20 win regular season, 1 or 2 wins in the AAC tournament, and an NIT appearance.
can I still build that pizza oven?

Reaction Score
I dont think it was the Syracuse win that enhanced everyones expectations. I think its the performance vs the cupcakes that had a lot of people, myself included, drinking the kool aid. As many have already pointed out, these same guys struggled to beat Monmouth and Columbia in OT last year, and only beat Stony Brook by single digits. This season, we are consistantly scoring in the 90’s in the buy games and winnning by 20-30.

Its just frustrating that we hit a wall vs Villanova and the other power 5 teams. I still say 11-7 is a realistic goal for conference play. I just cant see us losing to ECU, USF, Tulane, or even SMU. That would put us at 20 wins heading into the conference tournament. Lets see how we play vs the top teams in the league like Cincy, Houston, and Temple. There is still a lot of basketball to be played. Im not giving up yet.

Reaction Score
Expectations going forward?

That we actually recruit players into this program that at least resemble the type of players who put 4 National Titles up to the rafters in terms of mindset and talent level? There are almost none on this team.

Everything you need to know about the current bunch of UConn players. Down 79-54 against a good but certainly not great team with just 2 mins left to try to get out of there without humiliating themselves any further, they gave up a rebound off a missed free throw and allowed themselves to be posterized. That's who they are. That's what they've done to this program. That's the current culture. I don't even care who you want to blame for this, the players, Ollie, Jalen's head band, Hurley's facial expressions, that's the program we currently are. For those that lived with nothing other than 1990-2014, this is hell.

Reaction Score
As I read all these threads on projected lineups for next year and posters that want to cut Christian's minutes from what we've seen so far he's the only player that deserves to start next year. I'm not only disappointed now but already worried about next year. Hope we can convince more players to come here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Damn near everyone's exceptions preseason were way outsized. Caught up in the excitement.

We need to have our culture completely changes, and all poor habits eliminated. This takes longer than people give credit for. Then we need talent. Not a lineup full of 3-stars. I mean, people are even ripping and/or frustrated with Gilbert for 'not getting it'. Kid has played what, all of a half a season of MCBB basketball healthy? Settle down.

Preseason, I expected us to win 18, and consider that a good season given personnel and all the changes going on in the program. I do NOT expect the NCAA tournament, barring some miracle in the AACT.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
expectations? since day one of this season, I expect us to be in the ncaa's. nothing has changed. a blowout loss to the defending champions? in December? with a new coach? meh. by 1 or 101, it's still an L. saw enuff bricks from everyone today to build a sweet pizza oven. when everyone is that bad, no ONE is to blame. a real stinker. didn't a #1 seed lose the opening game in the tourney last year? some days chicken, some days feathers. don't have a cow, man. conference play hasn't even started, and if you listened closely, clark Kellogg gave big props to AAC this year. you'll seeeeeeeeeeee.
Clif's Spliffs?
You're an avatar away...

Expectations going forward?

That we actually recruit players into this program that at least resemble the type of players who put 4 National Titles up to the rafters in terms of mindset and talent level? There are almost none on this team.

Everything you need to know about the current bunch of UConn players. Down 79-54 against a good but certainly not great team with just 2 mins left to try to get out of there without humiliating themselves any further, they gave up a rebound off a missed free throw and allowed themselves to be posterized. That's who they are. That's what they've done to this program. That's the current culture. I don't even care who you want to blame for this, the players, Ollie, Jalen's head band, Hurley's facial expressions, that's the program we currently are. For those that lived with nothing other than 1990-2014, this is hell.
Do you know the meaning of the word "expectations," or was this just some 'meta' exercise in demonstrating how some of the people who post here mirror the drop-off?

Reaction Score
As a ray of hope, I would mention a game played in NYC on Jan. 2, 1990. Final score: St. John's 93, UConn 62. It put UConn at 10-3, but after an earlier homecourt loss to Villanova, it gave them an 0-2 start in the Big East. Calhoun had won the NIT in 1988, but after a very disappointing 1988-89 season, the debacle at St. John's had the doomsayers in loud chorus.

That was the Dream Season. UConn finished 31-6 with both Big East regular season and tournament titles, a #1 NCAA seed, and an Elite Eight finish, stopped short of the Final Four only by Laettner's overtime buzzer beater.

More to the point, it began the Calhoun dynasty that was to being four NC flags to the rafters of Gampel Pavilion. On the morning of January 3, 1990, there weren't too many die-hard loyalists assessing the St, John's loss and extrapolating that outcome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom