Expectations Going Forward | The Boneyard

Expectations Going Forward

Reaction Score
NIT maybe. I expect a lot of AAC losses after seeing what I just saw. There will be some decent games that lift spirits but we’re going to also continue to see a lot of ugliness from time to time. We usually know by December’s end what we really have and we pretty much know now. Just not very good.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind other teams are either improving, stagnant or becoming worse. The good teams obviously are improving. Thankfully we are not getting worse, and still working with newness (coach, players and latecomers). But we're running out of time, and we have very little confidence building wins excluding mid-majors.

We will probably have to wait a season or two, because even if we perform better we appear to be leaderless, lack a proven sharpshooter, and lack big men who consistently produce. I haven' seen our conference foes, but if they are getting their acts together it could be a painful season.

Nonetheless, we are already better than last year.

Reaction Score
I think UConn will get at least 11 wins in the aac and get to 20 wins but it won't always be pretty. Maybe one or two more blowouts around 15 to 20 points, a wtf loss, an upset, maybe even two and lots of growing pains. 9-4 ooc was the most realistic expectation for the team pre season and an improvement over the record they would have if Ollie were still coach (7-6 best case, possibly even 6-7 with close and/or overtimes wins among the 6 or 7 likely wins. Anyone who thought UConn was going 11-2 or better with that ooc was nuts and setting themselves up to be disappointed but 10-3 could have happened ...that zona loss hurts. Still outside of maybe keeping either the Iowa or Nova game 10 points closer and winning zona they are right where they should be. If that Iowa game is a 8 or 9 points loss, Nova 12 and they beat zona no one would be going crazy now.

Reaction Score
With a win expectations would have probably been to high as in this lose probably to low.

For me play above your heads a few games and finish 4th in AAC, things go great maybe better.

More importantly start finding an identify with those staying and get those top recruits.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind other teams are either improving, stagnant or becoming worse. The good teams obviously are improving. Thankfully we are not getting worse, and still working with newness (coach, players and latecomers). But we're running out of time, and we have very little confidence building wins excluding mid-majors.

We will probably have to wait a season or two, because even if we perform better we appear to be leaderless, lack a proven sharpshooter, and lack big men who consistently produce. I haven' seen our conference foes, but if they are getting their acts together it could be a painful season.

Nonetheless, we are already better than last year.
Today was a big step backward and although I think we are better than last year a 25 point loss to an unranked team is pretty bad. Hurley has allowed everyone to shoot from everywhere and that has to stop. He’s been feeling out his new roster but now he has to take control of it.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on just going into total rebuild mode? Starting Wilson, giving B Adams more minutes, Playing Diarra major minutes when he comes back, off season type workout routines....

Reaction Score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on just going into total rebuild mode? Starting Wilson, giving B Adams more minutes, Playing Diarra major minutes when he comes back, off season type workout routines....
Nah. Go out every game with the intent to win. It's college basketball. Crazy things happen. You don't go into rebuild mode before conference play.

Reaction Score
I kno it’s a building process and there will be bumps , but today’s performance was very disheartening - no two ways around it. They had a perfect chance to go into the Xmas week on a high note. Saturday game, national tv, the garden, xmas weekend , criowd packed with uconn fans. And again, just like manhattan Game- flashbacks to last year. Like someone said earlier- besides cuse , when was the last time we beat a team that was favored. God. I can accept the Iowa game as a letdown game, FSU was better than us and zona Gabe we shudda won but tiday was just inexcusable. Nova not even that good right now at this point in season. No where near last years title team. Smh

Reaction Score
My expectation has not changed at all. We've won every game we should have and based on projected chance we were likely to win around 1 of the 5 games against the top 50 teams, which we have. KenPom had us pre-season 100 and I said I thought we were a bit better than that since Gilbert wasn't being properly considered (around 80). Big loss today puts us at 88, but I still think we'll settle around 80. I had us between 20 and 22 wins. A few of the AAC teams (like Tenple and Tulsa) seem slightly more competent than I thought, so I think the lower end of that spectrum seems reasonable. KenPom has us projected for 19 right now,

With our schedule and quality, I've been consistent that the NCAA tournament would be tough without winning the conference tournament. I still think we'll have a chance to do that with continued growth from Wilson and Gilbert.

Basically, the real season starts now.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
expectations? since day one of this season, I expect us to be in the ncaa's. nothing has changed. a blowout loss to the defending champions? in December? with a new coach? meh. by 1 or 101, it's still an L. saw enuff bricks from everyone today to build a sweet pizza oven. when everyone is that bad, no ONE is to blame. a real stinker. didn't a #1 seed lose the opening game in the tourney last year? some days chicken, some days feathers. don't have a cow, man. conference play hasn't even started, and if you listened closely, clark Kellogg gave big props to AAC this year. you'll seeeeeeeeeeee.

Reaction Score
Nah. Go out every game with the intent to win. It's college basketball. Crazy things happen. You don't go into rebuild mode before conference play.

Yup. This isn’t the pros. Anyone can leave and there are no draft picks. Who wants to play for a coach that is looking ahead to next year anyway.

Reaction Score
My expectation has not changed at all. We've won every game we should have and based on projected chance we were likely to win around 1 of the 5 games against the top 50 teams, which we have. KenPom had us pre-season 100 and I said I thought we were a bit better than that since Gilbert wasn't being properly considered (around 80). Big loss today puts us at 88, but I still think we'll settle around 80. I had us between 20 and 22 wins. A few of the AAC teams (like Tenple and Tulsa) seem slightly more competent than I thought, so I think the lower end of that spectrum seems reasonable. KenPom has us projected for 19 right now,

With our schedule and quality, I've been consistent that the NCAA tournament would be tough without winning the conference tournament. I still think we'll have a chance to do that with continued growth from Wilson and Gilbert.

Basically, the real season starts now.
agreed. If we go into the AAC tournament with 20 wins, it's a good year for this team.

Reaction Score
Absolutely none. At this point just hoping for better than the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
The expectations are the same as they were coming into this game. A bad half doesn’t change anything for me. Finish top 3 in the conference. Win the conference tourney or make it to the finals and give ourselves a chance. I’d be ecstatic with an NIT birth

Reaction Score

Calhoun did this in 2010

Reaction Score

It appears Hurley has been playing for the future in terms of playing Carlton over Cobb. He hasn't even been giving Cobb the opportunity to improve his D in the cupcake games. Not playing your best frontcourt offensive player and rebounder (of games against good comp) in the biggest game of the season is basically throwing in the towel on this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom