Expectations for Carlton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Expectations for Carlton

Reaction Score
Ultimately depending on others improvements as well as the impact from the likes of Whaley, Cobb, Diarra and Kwakwe (sp?) I think match ups will determine minutes played quite often. Hurley likes bigs (or not so big) that can guard people and get out on the perimeter to do so, maybe that gives others a slight edge at times. Good news is we have options I'm very interested to see who steps it up this summer and comes back a new guy because someone will. Hopefully they all do!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Ultimately depending on others improvements as well as the impact from the likes of Whaley, Cobb, Diarra and Kwakwe (sp?) I think match ups will determine minutes played quite often. Hurley likes bigs (or not so big) that can guard people and get out on the perimeter to do so, maybe that gives others a slight edge at times. Good news is we have options I'm very interested to see who steps it up this summer and comes back a new guy because someone will. Hopefully they all do!

that sounds like a big edge for whaley.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Coach Hunter, who I believe is working on his development, developed Greg Monroe. I can see Carlton being a Greg Monroe if he can gain some weight he have a nice basketball frame.

Reaction Score
I'll grant that truly averaging 3-5 assists a game isn't going to happen because there will be plenty of games that drag the average down. I think Bill Walton in his Trailblazer years with Maurice Lucas was probably the best passer ever from the high post and he averaged 5.5 assists in his Sr yr, so my 3-5 assists is just resorting to hyperbole to make a point that he can be an effective passer if used that way.

I haven't got the inclination at the moment to research which game, but in one game last year in just 3 possessions over 2 minutes he had made 2 back door passes to cutters for hoops and then kicked out the ball for an open 3 that was missed. Then he didn't see the ball again. He is capable of generating because he 'sees', and has poise with the ball. We went through him 3 times in a row successfully and my point is that can be a good use of his skills. I doubt if you can find even that small sample of success from any other similar UConn 4-5 players, which is why I think he holds more potential.

The fact that we haven't had a UConn player do that isn't too relevant because we haven't tried to play through a post player as a facilitator that I can recollect. Corny Thompson was also earthbound and would be asked to shoot more than Carlton but could pass and had 2.4 assist year. Travis Knight had at least 1 year in the 2-3 assist range. Other non-guards over 3 assists a game were versatile forwards.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't offer any expectation, but I'd really like it if he has a better year than both Enoch and Durham, if only to make this a more pleasant place.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don't offer any expectation, but I'd really like it if he has a better year than both Enoch and Durham, if only to make this a more pleasant place.
I have a feeling that Enoch is going to be a beast. Same with Vance Jackson.

pj

Reaction Score
I'll grant that truly averaging 3-5 assists a game isn't going to happen because there will be plenty of games that drag the average down. I think Bill Walton in his Trailblazer years with Maurice Lucas was probably the best passer ever from the high post and he averaged 5.5 assists in his Sr yr, so my 3-5 assists is just resorting to hyperbole to make a point that he can be an effective passer if used that way.

I haven't got the inclination at the moment to research which game, but in one game last year in just 3 possessions over 2 minutes he had made 2 back door passes to cutters for hoops and then kicked out the ball for an open 3 that was missed. Then he didn't see the ball again. He is capable of generating because he 'sees', and has poise with the ball. We went through him 3 times in a row successfully and my point is that can be a good use of his skills. I doubt if you can find even that small sample of success from any other similar UConn 4-5 players, which is why I think he holds more potential.

The fact that we haven't had a UConn player do that isn't too relevant because we haven't tried to play through a post player as a facilitator that I can recollect. Corny Thompson was also earthbound and would be asked to shoot more than Carlton but could pass and had 2.4 assist year. Travis Knight had at least 1 year in the 2-3 assist range. Other non-guards over 3 assists a game were versatile forwards.

Nadav Henefeld averaged 2.9 assists.

Reaction Score
Carlton’s biggest problem is his limited athleticism.
Disagree.
His "limited" athleticism is a "problem" if he wants a career in basketball.
We've have plenty of athletes who have had respectable UConn careers without having Carlton's level of athleticism. Antric, Sellers, Knight, Cyrullic, and others come to mind.

As a team, I don't see "athleticism" as being a problem for us, at all.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Travis Knight had at least 1 year in the 2-3 assist range.

Senior year, he averaged 9.1 points, 9.3 boards, 2.1 assists, 2.0 blocks.

For comparison's sake (really more for shock value) Johnnie Time averaged 0.3 dimes for his 2 year career. I was kinda surprised it was that high. 71 games X .3 dimes per game means he had 22 assists. I'm stunned that he even passed the ball 22 times in two years. I'd have guessed single digits. But he'd still be the starting power forward on this team.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Disagree.
His "limited" athleticism is a "problem" if he wants a career in basketball.
We've have plenty of athletes who have had respectable UConn careers without having Carlton's level of athleticism. Antric, Sellers, Knight, Cyrullic, and others come to mind.

As a team, I don't see "athleticism" as being a problem for us, at all.
Klaiber being respectable is a stretch. Gerry Besselink, Jeff King.

Reaction Score

Jake was very good with the ball too, maybe not a lot of assists but he could be used at the top with the ball looking for open players. I was never nervous when he had the ball, having said that we haven't had anyone in quite a while I can say I wasn't nervous about with the ball away from the basket, big men that is.

Reaction Score
Even if he does pass well, I don't see crazy assist numbers happening--especially with a poor shooting team like this.

A lot of times, bigs ball movement is to kick it, step to the high post or short corner to allow for a drive--no assist. Or just to get a good repost opportunity--no assist. Or to reset the offense.

Anything but am automatic shoot (good or bad) is better than most bigs, and I think Carlton has it.

Reaction Score
You’re all forgetting that someone has to pass him the ball consistently. That won’t help with two guards looking to pad stats for the next level./QUOTE]

Do you actually believe that any guard looking to pad stats would benefit from doing so?

Reaction Score

Easy to get assists when your team averages 85 points a game and you are passing to Ray Allen

Reaction Score
Those are difficult questions. I think some patience is required with Carlton, he's coming off a freshman season where he had no coaching. He will stumble. He's not going to be dominant, and will face opponents that push him around for sure. A lot depends on if he gets himself in shape, and I'm sure this is being addressed.
Interesting the no coaching point. I believe it and would love for Durham, Enoch and Jackson to level with us

Reaction Score
Carlton's BBIQ is a legit question.

He was making the same mistakes in november as he was in March.

particularly the travels and moving screens.

That may have been a matter of coaching or lack thereof.

As for high post passing - Wilt Chamberlain was pretty good at it at times (for old timers like me who saw him play).

Reaction Score
He had a better year last hear than either of those guys

Reaction Score
Everyone has said this already but conditioning is number 1...not just him but EVERYBODY. KO didn’t seem to have the conditioning levels that JC had. He did a great job prepping Jalen for 39 minutes a game but we shouldn’t need or want that from him until a tournament scenario exists.

Back to Carlton,
I have loved him since his commitment. I always thought he was extremely undervalued because he played on DeMatha with DJ Harvey, BeeJay Anya, and Markelle Fultz while attending, he clearly wasn’t the diamond recruiters were going to dematha for. He has excellent hands, good/great footwork, but is slow with the ball and not aggressive enough at the rim.

Conditioning will help the foul issue, but don’t expect much until his junior year. It takes bigs a couple years(Think about the jumps Adrien, Thabeet, G.Edwards, Hilton, Boone made from SO to JR...Okafor is an outlier).

Prediction, 7.5 ppg, 5 rpg, 1.5 blks, 1.5 apg

the Q

Reaction Score

That may have been a matter of coaching or lack thereof.

As for high post passing - Wilt Chamberlain was pretty good at it at times (for old timers like me who saw him play).

I’m concerned about his coaching for years before Uconn. Those are hs level mistakes.

the Q

Reaction Score
Have you heard of Dematha? Don't be too concerned.

How did this happen then?

Did he get away with those screens in hs and aau?

Again, these are some pretty basic mistakes.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that Enoch is going to be a beast. Same with Vance Jackson.
Vance could shoot even as a freshman. What were we bad at last year and what is questionable for us this year?

Reaction Score
How did this happen then?

Did he get away with those screens in hs and aau?

Again, these are some pretty basic mistakes.

Basic mistakes, yet extremely common for young bigs.

I watched a lot of his HS tape after he committed, and I don't recall him doing a ton of screening. Regardless, I do know this - someone - his dad, his coach, someone - drilled it into his head to keep the ball high on the offensive end. So someone did a great job there.

If your concern is not improving over the course of a season, that mirrors a lot of our guys (particularly bigs) over the past few years. It's not the HS coaches you need to be looking at.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom