Expectations for Carlton | The Boneyard

Expectations for Carlton

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Last year he averaged 4.4 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 0.8 blocks.

This year I see him going for 9.5 points, 6 boards, and a block.

Will he be able to keep up in this “Pressure Man Defense” that Hurley always talks about? Will he be a consistent threat on offense?

Reaction Score
Those are difficult questions. I think some patience is required with Carlton, he's coming off a freshman season where he had no coaching. He will stumble. He's not going to be dominant, and will face opponents that push him around for sure. A lot depends on if he gets himself in shape, and I'm sure this is being addressed.

pj

Reaction Score
Those are difficult questions. I think some patience is required with Carlton, he's coming off a freshman season where he had no coaching. He will stumble. He's not going to be dominant, and will face opponents that push him around for sure. A lot depends on if he gets himself in shape, and I'm sure this is being addressed.

Coaching during the season is built on team play. With a new coach he would have to learn that anew anyway. Summer is when individual teaching is done and he's getting that. He had his first taste of D1 competition so he knows where he struggled. He'll take a big leap. Conditioning is critical for him to play long minutes.

Reaction Score
As said, I think it is all about the conditioning. He has some skill. But he was so mechanical and plodding in everything and those skills were mitigated. My expectations are that he is Rod Sellers-ish by the time he is a senior. This year, I think we see Cobb become a player and Carlton backs up at the 4 and 5.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Carlton’s biggest problem is his limited athleticism. So he has to become a bruiser if he is going to make improvements.

Hand strength and conditioning have to be high priorities for the next 3-4 months.

Reaction Score
For me, Carlton being able/coached to play extended minutes without fouling would generate the biggest leap forward in his game. All the other stats would fall into place based on team play. Where I think he has the most to offer is generating assists playing through him with big to big passing down low, and kick outs for open perimeter shots. I really think 3-5 assists from him is probable if he can stay on the court and if he was used for that skill. I think his scoring will still be situational based on put backs and receiving passes where his defender is forced to slack away to provide help defense. Rebounding should improve, but, improvement will be limited until he can play those extended minutes without fouling. Greater strength helps, but you stop being aggressive when your next foul takes you out of the game and you've only played 2 minutes at a time. Fouling was his most important weakness in my view. Hurt his ability to play instinctively and aggressive enough.

Reaction Score
Carlton’s biggest problem is his limited athleticism. So he has to become a bruiser if he is going to make improvements.

Hand strength and conditioning have to be high priorities for the next 3-4 months.

What Carlton does have going for him is excellent footwork.

He demonstrated more high low post IQ than any big we've had in a while.

I have high hopes, not sure if he'll get to 9 pts/6 reb. this year though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I look at Carlton’s season in two halves:

In the first 16 games of the season, Carlton never played more than 17 minutes in a game.

Per-game stats for first 16 games of season: 10.8 minutes, 2.5 points, 2.8 boards, 0.9 blocks

In the last 16 games of the season, Carlton played 20+ minutes in 9 games.

Per game stats for last 16 games of the season: 19.5 minutes, 6.4 points, 4.6 boards, 0.6 blocks

Based on this a per game average of 7 points/5 boards is fair to expect if he continues to get about 20 minutes/game.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score

I think his motivation was a problem as well. He played with much more energy in high school. Coach Hurley and staff should be able to correct this.

Reaction Score
Many "ifs" with Mr Carlton and many will be answered from his work ethic from and of last year to beginning of this coming season. Hurley's style may not be perfect for him if indeed we do get out and run it but he will have a place always as he has some skills others do not possess. I do't expect a huge increase in production but like Ricker said if he can stay out of foul trouble he will gain a point or 2, rebound or 2 for that reason alone.

the Q

Reaction Score
For me, Carlton being able/coached to play extended minutes without fouling would generate the biggest leap forward in his game. All the other stats would fall into place based on team play. Where I think he has the most to offer is generating assists playing through him with big to big passing down low, and kick outs for open perimeter shots. I really think 3-5 assists from him is probable if he can stay on the court and if he was used for that skill. I think his scoring will still be situational based on put backs and receiving passes where his defender is forced to slack away to provide help defense. Rebounding should improve, but, improvement will be limited until he can play those extended minutes without fouling. Greater strength helps, but you stop being aggressive when your next foul takes you out of the game and you've only played 2 minutes at a time. Fouling was his most important weakness in my view. Hurt his ability to play instinctively and aggressive enough.

1) totally right on the fouling

2) you need one big who at least a threat to hit the 15 footer to be able to make some of that high/low passing work. FT line to block passing can 100% work if they have to respect the high post shooter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Last year, once he got the ball he was on his own. This year, with his game as part of an integrated offense I'm convinced his production will improve significantly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll keep it simple.

1. Get stronger
2. Defend the post better (see #1)
3. Rebound better
4. Set better screens and be able to catch and score on the pick and roll

His interior offense is fine, and #1 will help him play through contact more effectively.

pj

Reaction Score
1) totally right on the fouling

2) you need one big who at least a threat to hit the 15 footer to be able to make some of that high/low passing work. FT line to block passing can 100% work if they have to respect the high post shooter.

Hitting 5 footers reliably would be good. Just make sure his man can't stray too far when he's out of the paint but adjacent to it.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
For me, Carlton being able/coached to play extended minutes without fouling would generate the biggest leap forward in his game. All the other stats would fall into place based on team play.
Interior fouls are usually generated by two things -- having to reach to offer any resistance because you are out of position, and trying to play physical when you have never been taught how to. Playing a physical, 'high contact' game inside is very tough to do, because establishing/maintaining your position against a player as big as or bigger than you, looks an awful lot like pushing if you're not really skilled at it. Both of those skills are teachable if you have a decent bigs coach and a plan.

Where I think he has the most to offer is generating assists playing through him with big to big passing down low, and kick outs for open perimeter shots. I really think 3-5 assists from him is probable if he can stay on the court and if he was used for that skill.
3 to 5 dimes per game out of the 4 or 5 position is a pipe dream. Name a UConn interior player who has averaged even TWO assists for a season.

Reaction Score
I really think 3-5 assists from him is probable if he can stay on the court and if he was used for that skill.
To put that in perspective:

AAC players w/ 3+ assists a game: 14 last year, 15 the year before, 10 the year before that, 10 the year before that.
AAC players w/ 4+ assists a game: 5 last year, 8 the year before, 5 the year before that, 5 the year before that
AAC players w/ 5+ assists a game: 1 last year (Shamet), 1 the year before (Jalen Adams), 1 the year before that (Nic Moore), 2 the year before that (Moore and Anthony Collins)

Most assists/game by a forward/center in the last four years in the AAC:

17-18: Rashard Kelly (2.5)
16-17: Dedric Lawson (3.3)
15-16: Trashon Burrell (2.7)
14-15: Ben Moore (1.9)

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
About 20-22 mpg

8-9 points
5-6 rebounds
.3 assists
.3 blocks

He can be an asset down low on offense. Several posters have noted he has good hands, footwork and patience.
If opponents go small ball he becomes a major liability guarding on the perimeter. He will have several games of 15 points and 8-9 rebounds. He'll also have some 3 points, 2 rebound games.

A work in progress who will continue to improve as a junior and senior.

Reaction Score
You’re all forgetting that someone has to pass him the ball consistently. That won’t help with two guards looking to pad stats for the next level.

Reaction Score
Not a big sample size but from tourney games for RI last year it did seem Hurley likes to get the big guys touches. That alone is a huge mental benefit for Carlton who as a result will be more engaged.

Also, if he rebounds better ‘particularly on the offensive side, his point production will have a nice spike because of the good fundamentals of keeping the ball high and being locked into a shooting position quickly

Reaction Score
There are a lot of potential minutes to be shared at the 4-5 spots. I do think Carlton ends up getting more than most and should be good for something like the numbers you're putting there, though.

Reaction Score
Where I think he has the most to offer is generating assists playing through him with big to big passing down low, and kick outs for open perimeter shots. I really think 3-5 assists from him is probable if he can stay on the court and if he was used for that skill.

Carlton has a nice feel out there. But I've been watching UConn for 30+ years and we've never had a big generate those asst numbers. I'm supremely confident that Carlton will not be the first.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley will determine that Carlton needs to play a lot because of his touch and skills. My guess is 8 points per game which will be skewed because of games where he scores 2 or 4 points because of foul trouble but several games scoring in the teens

the Q

Reaction Score
Carlton's BBIQ is a legit question.

He was making the same mistakes in november as he was in March.

particularly the travels and moving screens.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Most assists/game by a forward/center in the last four years in the AAC:

17-18: Rashard Kelly (2.5)
16-17: Dedric Lawson (3.3)
15-16: Ricky Tarrant Jr (3.2)
14-15: Ben Moore (1.9)

Kelly is a 3, so not comparable, and isn't Tarrant is a 6-2 point guard?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom