Expectations for 2020 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Expectations for 2020

Reaction Score
While the optimist in me would like to say 7 wins, the pragmatist maxes out at 5 wins. Compare this season's team to HCRE's inaugural team at the RENT. The 2020 team has too many question marks at too many positions.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The "liberty debate" began because someone assumed a UConn win over liberty. Nobody said they were Bama, but they aren't an automatic win for UConn.
They aren’t an automatic win, but people assume they’re great because they won 8 games but they were mainly against teams ranked in the bottom of FBS football.

Reaction Score
Any ranking system that ranks a mid-tier FCS program ahead of FBS programs is what they used to call GIGO...garbage in garbage out. There is a reason why virtually every time an FCS team wins one ofvthose matchups it is considered not just an upset but a huge upset. That is even more true if the game is later in the season. The difference in scholarships = significantly less depth, the players overall are not as good and they have worse training facilities etc. the simple length of the season would take its toll, too. Could North Dakota beat a bunch of FBS teams? Sure. Could Maine? Not likely. One game? Anything can happen but over 11-12 games the most FCS teams would be beaten up pretty badly by the end.

Reaction Score
You’re right, 2019 Liberty is essentially Bama and the 1985 bears combined. We don’t stand a chance.
You are right, UConn is Clemson and Liberty who won a bowl game in 2019 has no chance in 2020 against the UConn juggernaut. Lets get past mighty UMass in the 1st game before all you HCRE2.0 but monkeys (but the team was so young, but who could win against such a tough schedule, but we didn't lose every game by 50, but who could know Crocker's defense wouldn't work, but who can scheme to make any 3rd's and 1, but who could win more than 2 games a year when players have no eye discipline) start with the excuses.

Reaction Score
Your fans that say "go bowling" should take a deep breath. You are going into unknown territory where you are now an independent and most bowls are affiliated with specific conferences. You aren't guaranteed a bowl bid even with a winning season.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
They aren’t an automatic win, but people assume they’re great because they won 8 games but they were mainly against teams ranked in the bottom of FBS football.
Yeah...no one assumes they are great....just that they aren’t an easy W.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Your fans that say "go bowling" should take a deep breath. You are going into unknown territory where you are now an independent and most bowls are affiliated with specific conferences. You aren't guaranteed a bowl bid even with a winning season.
Thanks Captain Obvious. Here’s something else that is obvious, Boeheim is ancient and hurting your squad.

Reaction Score
look at Liberty's November.

Mr Benedict is doing a great job of USING the UCONN brand to get us better games - at the margin. And that 2020 schedule is darn good & a noticeable heartbeat buzz beyond the AAC. The AAC is a damn good conference and that gets you nothing but a Flat TV rights contract for 13 years … falling desperately behind 5 other conferences.

I care about Army. That has to be one of the games we should target annually. I would throw in Navy - I would love to play them soon. Then Buffalo, UMASS, Temple, Rutgers, Old Domininon … We found out something about football playing in Texas & Louisiana & Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Recruiting wise you'll still want to play in Florida and Texas. It doesn't have to be every year but often enough. Louisiana too as long as it's a huge payday for UConn at LSU. :)

Reaction Score
I think I may have been the one who said UConn should beat Liberty("If they don't beat all three of UMass, Maine and Liberty there is a serious problem") and I stand by it. UConn had a lot of underclassmen that saw time on the field last year and now they will be a year older, stronger and experienced. That has to count for something, including our young QB's. Like others have said the D should take a step up. Almost half of the new class participated in Spring ball and the rest, at least by appearances, seem to be an improvement from classes past. Time will tell but one of these years luck and favor have to shine the Huskies way. A new era for this program(independence), could signal new hope, new enthusiasm and new found success. Why not this year?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am ecstatic with the move to Independent. Ecstatic. F Tulsa, Tulane Houston Memphis and the rest of the AAC who think the TV contract was good. It was - for them. But not for UConn - who is now controlling its own destiny. We will play in buy games, we will go to areas we recruit, we will have teams in the Rent that fans can relate to. And we will make more money doing it while protecting and growing a once proud and successful brand.

Considering scheduling is done so far out, kudos to AD David Benedict and his team for putting this together. We aren't UMass (and if you think we are go take a ride to Amherst and then tell me you see the same football commitment). We aren't BYU but are closer to them in terms of independent than UMass, New Mexico or the other Independents.

As for wins and losses- until you see who returns and who is coming in, an 8 win team in 2019 could be an 11 win or a 3 win team in 2020. Same for a 1 win 2019 team and same for UConn. You play the players on the field, not the uniform. SO saying x school is a win or loss, do some research. FYI,anyone watching the demise of Notre Dame pre Kelly could see that the Jimmies and Joes weren't up to the gold helmet standard.

As for the RE haters - nothing short of an 8 win season and beating some big boys won't change your minds. So nothing to discuss there. NOTHING. But I will say this: the kids and coaches who are still in the program and those coming in have the right attitude and are busting their butt for themselves and UConn. They don't deserve to be shat upon and the constant negativity is draining to anyone who cares about the program.

I can't go see the other teams I support on a whim(other than to a game) but I can go to UConn, or make a call and see a practice or talk to a coach. There is value in that and it allows you to see things a little differently than just as an outsider.

I am jumping off my soap box now!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hurley is new. We have to give him some time. Edsall has been here in two time periods. We have already given him time. Now he has to produce.
Ridiculous answer
Is Hurley new to coaching? No - his recent success was a result of a series of injuries that forced him to play Whaley and with a workable big man who could catch the ball and score (unlike Akok and Carleton) it freed up CV to do what he needed to do. If Akok was still healthy I am willing to bet the ranch that Whaley would not have stepped on that floor for any meaningful minutes, Did Whaley just turn on the light switch? No - many players said he was doing well in practice offensively all along and was rebounding with power but DH would not play him.
Just because Randy has been here before means squat - how many of these guys are ones he recruited - is UConn still in the OBE football league as when he left? No
Randy has produced in the past
Who is being paid the 2Mill plus salary? Thats the guy who better produce beyond expectations

C

Chief00

Ridiculous answer
Is Hurley new to coaching? No - his recent success was a result of a series of injuries that forced him to play Whaley and with a workable big man who could catch the ball and score (unlike Akok and Carleton) it freed up CV to do what he needed to do. If Akok was still healthy I am willing to bet the ranch that Whaley would not have stepped on that floor for any meaningful minutes, Did Whaley just turn on the light switch? No - many players said he was doing well in practice offensively all along and was rebounding with power but DH would not play him.
Just because Randy has been here before means squat - how many of these guys are ones he recruited - is UConn still in the OBE football league as when he left? No
Randy has produced in the past
Who is being paid the 2Mill plus salary? Thats the guy who better produce beyond expectations
Quite frankly, sometimes coaches are forced into the “right“ decision. But, the player still liked the coach well enough to hang around, worked in the gym and weight room and the coach was analytical enough to not double down. Chief has been around many teams over the years, the effort passes the eye test as does the buy in with Danny and MBB.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, sometimes coaches are forced into the “right“ decision. But, the player still liked the coach well enough to hang around, worked in the gym and weight room and the coach was analytical enough to not double down. Chief has been around many teams over the years, the effort passes the eye test as does the buy in with Danny and MBB.
It isn't like Hurley had many options beyond Whaley. Eric Cobb and Kassoum Yakwe aren't running through that door anytime soon.

C

Chief00

It isn't like Hurley had many options beyond Whaley. Eric Cobb and Kassoum Yakwe aren't running through that door anytime soon.
Generally true, but compare Whaley’s minutes to Sid’s.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I see 7 winnable games on the schedule, but with Randy as HC and an OL Coach as OC I'll go with 4 wins. Its an improvement for sure, but with this offensive brain trust in charge the ceiling is always going to be really low.

If we are talking straight numbers then 5 is the bare minimum. However, I think the number is far less important than the eyeball test.

I agree there are 7 winnable games, but keeping the P5 games close would be also be seen as a step forward. We can't have a 2-3 win season, but 4 home wins and a bunch of close losses without getting blown out will still look pretty good to most fans.

I think the most important bar to clear will be whether or not the fanbase has hope for the full season that there is a chance to win every game. Playing teams like Tulane knowing we are likely to lose is the killer.

Reaction Score
I expect the Qb position will be graded much better than 127 of 130.

I expect Kevon Jones to play more like Julius Williams. Edsall has been keen on his potential. I hope they have someone else on the otherside that can play like an emerging Witten. Edsall has a history of having good DEs. Cant keep playing zone without pressuring the Qb.

I expect an improving Lb corp.

I expect better special teams play especially on the returns. He found that somebody in Fl

I expect better interior OL play.

First game will tell a lot.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Last year we were close against Houston and ECU. This year, at least at home, we need to win close games. As for the road, we have to be in the games first and then look for the wins second.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom