Expectations for 2020 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Expectations for 2020

Reaction Score
I want 4-3 (or better) home record. Re-establish our winning ways at the Rent

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Liberty's 8 wins are against some absolute bottom feeders. Highly inflated record.
Your avatar goes perfectly with your comment. Not that Liberty is the late-90's Yankees, but I can practically hear George scoffing at Bernie Williams, "...in six games."

Reaction Score
Ok, so I just looked up the schedule again so I could respond with a little knowledge and not just a gut sense (or hope). I expect to see 5-7. I'd like to see us do better with a few WTF upsets in there or at least quality wins against decent opponents, but that might be adding too much. Likely we'll have a surprise loss too. (Is there such a thing now?) If we go less than 5-7 with this schedule I'll be disappointed. It has some tough games, for sure, but also a LOT of games that should be winnable. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Less than five wins would be disappointing. UMass, ODU, Lib, SJSU, MTSU, & Army were a combined 24-50. Add ME and these are seven very winnable games.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Competitive in all games is #1. No more blowouts! We saw how the men basketball team was able to get over the hump after all those close games.

No more blaming the players. He has cleaned house and has only his "RKG". No more throwing players under the bus.

In all honesty with this schedule and knowing what I know we are lucky to go 4-8. Wins should be UMass, Old Dominion, Maine, and Liberty for sure. Anything more than that would be a success to me. We just have so many holes and depth issues I can't see it go away. End of games we will lose steam if we can't guys rest.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 1.24.57 PM.png

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I had not looked that closely at next year's schedule, but it sets up nicely for a decent win total year. The team could show minimal improvement on the field, but show significant improvement in win totals.

Guesses assume some overall improvement.

Probable win (75% chance): UMass, Maine, ODU
Maybe win (50% chance): liberty, @SJSU, Mid Tn, Army
Probably not (25% chance): @Illinois, Indiana
Not gonna happen(0% chance): @Virginia, @North Carolina, @Ole Miss

I am probably being generous with Illinois and Indiana.

So...baseline is 3 wins...already an improvement over last year. Get 2 of the 4 maybes and you are at 5. That feels about right.

Reaction Score
5 seems right but who can say for sure. Somebody loses their quarterback or one of our guys makes a huge stride in the off season or something breaks right and who knows. Best is probably 8 and that would take remarkable luck but at some point we will get some good luck. Worst should be 4 5-6 is likely I think.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
At my normal spot for this time of year; my expectations are low, but my hopes are high. I hope we'll be better but it's not like lat year made me confident that we are on the right track.

FWIW, 4 wins Randy is on the hot seat. 5 he'll be back but on a short leash. 6 or more, he's our guy.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
First - this is a pretty great schedule. Sure it could be a little better, but really its pretty good.

Second - I have no feel for what this team will be in 2020. If the QBs can improve, then perhaps 4 to 6 wins is possible, but if they don't - then its probably another 2 or 3 win type season. I do think the D will finally be better because the bodies are maturing. I worry however that perhaps the OL won't be better and that will cause the O to struggle. This season is a big test and a big opportunity, to see of the offensive coaches have legit chops. Can the O coaches make the QBs better, can they make the OL jell, can they create an effective offense? Fair or not, I have some confidence the D will make that step forward.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

First - this is a pretty great schedule. Sure it could be a little better, but really its pretty good.

Second - I have no feel for what this team will be in 2020. If the QBs can improve, then perhaps 4 to 6 wins is possible, but if they don't - then its probably another 2 or 3 win type season. I do think the D will finally be better because the bodies are maturing. I worry however that perhaps the OL won't be better and that will cause the O to struggle. This season is a big test and a big opportunity, to see of the offensive coaches have legit chops. Can the O coaches make the QBs better, can they make the OL jell, can they create an effective offense?
Over-all the schedule is fine. The home slate is poor other than filled with wins for Randy to keep his job. The downside is if he doesn’t win these games - it’s going to be tough just writing it off as the players not executing.
My other observation is, for attendance purposes, having two late November games, is taking a pretty big risk.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Going back to the original question, Randy has done such a great job managing expectations that I literally have no expectations anymore. I agree with what I see as the consensus that he needs 5 wins, minimum.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Over-all the schedule is fine. The home slate is poor other than filled with wins for Randy to keep his job. The downside is if he doesn’t win these games - it’s going to be tough just writing it off as the players not executing.
My other observation is, for attendance purposes, having two late November games, is taking a pretty big risk.

Okay - but its not like this program with a $41MM budget deficit is in position to go bribe schools to come to the Rent in 2020 and bribes (ahem cash for visiting) is what its going to take to get anyone with a brand on short notice because this schedule was put together 5 months ago rather than 3-6 years ago like most schedules.

I like the UMass, Indiana, Maine and Army games. Yes, ODU and Mid Tenn are sort of duds, but they are winnable duds and that's what I want...I want wins. Of the home slate, I'm least looking forward to Liberty...I don't want to lose to those guys and we probably will.

Really - I just want wins. Wins against any program in FBS, even if it means we beat merely programs 129-123 to get seven wins.

C

Chief00

Okay - but its not like this program with a $41MM budget deficit is in position to go bribe schools to come to the Rent in 2020 and bribes (ahem cash for visiting) is what its going to take to get anyone with a brand on short notice because this schedule was put together 5 months ago rather than 3-6 years ago like most schedules.

I like the UMass, Indiana, Maine and Army games. Yes, ODU and Mid Tenn are sort of duds, but they are winnable duds and that's what I want...I want wins. Of the home slate, I'm least looking forward to Liberty...I don't want to lose to those guys and we probably will.

Really - I just want wins. Wins against any program in FBS, even if it means we beat merely programs 129-123 to get seven wins.

I think we are both saying the same thing - the home scheduled is filled with “winnable duds”. So if we lose the games we are suppose to - is beating these “winnable duds“ sign of a turnaround?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think we are both saying the same thing - the home scheduled is filled with “winnable duds”. So if we lose the games we are suppose to - is beating these “winnable duds“ sign of a turnaround?

‘I’ll take “winnable duds” Alex for 200.’

Yeah after nine or so losing seasons I’ll take a six win season vs a soft schedule. Winning is the only thing that will bring the fans back and boost recruiting. Got start somewhere. 2021 will have a good deal more promise if we get to 6 or 7 wins in 2020. Unfortunately I did not see enough positive things out of the program last year to give me confidence we could magically get 6 wins this year against a “typical” high G5 schedule.

Reaction Score
It kind of is. First of all in the casual fans mind I’m not sure Liberty, ODU and Middle Tenn are that much different from Tulsa Tulane and ECU. People seem to like Army for reasons that are beyond me. And UMass is an hour away and we have history, if ancient, it is history none the less. If we win 5 or even 6-7 games it will be seen as a major step in the right direction and it will be. This was essentially the model that Beamer used at VaTech and Schiano1 used at Rutgers and really Randy 1 used at UConn. Trying to build a program in a league with 3-4 ranked teams is really tough. This is much more manageable. And if you somehow get an upset at Ol Miss or Carolina or one of the Big 10 teams it will be a huge boost.

Reaction Score
From CFN:

Liberty Football Schedule 2020 Prediction, Best Case Scenario
8-4: The Flames build on their breakthrough season with a great first half of the year. They win four of their first six games, and they’re at least competitive against Virginia Tech, Syracuse and NC State on the road. They beat both the FCS teams on the slate, and they roll past UConn and UMass to get above six wins and once again go bowling.

Liberty Football Schedule 2020 Prediction, Worst Case Scenario
4-8: LU loses at WKU and drops the home date against FIU for a 1-3 start. They don’t come close in any of the games against the ACC teams, and they lose the home date to Southern Miss to get to six losses – a killer with the two FCS teams to play. There’s another misfire somewhere along the way either at UConn or Bowling Green.

Liberty Football Schedule 2020 Ranking Hardest To Easiest
2020 preseason ranking of the Liberty football schedule from the hardest-looking games to the easiest.

1. Sept. 5 at Virginia Tech
2. Nov. 21 at NC State
3. Oct. 17 at Syracuse
4. Sept. 19 at WKU
5. Oct. 24 Southern Miss
6. Sept. 26 FIU
7. Oct. 10 ULM
8. Oct. 3 at Bowling Green
9. Oct. 31 at UConn
10. Nov. 28 UMass
11. Nov. 14 Western Carolina
12. Sept. 12 North Carolina A&T

UConn will be the ninth game in a row without a break for Liberty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2 of their wins were against New Mexico State, with others coming over New Mexico, Hampton and Maine. Real murders row.
Remind me again, who did UConn beat in 2019? Just in case you missed it, New Mexico State was rated ahead of UConn for 2019 FBS schools as was New Mexico by Massey.
Just to cover FCS looked at Maine, they were 147 out of 256 Div 1 teams, UConn was 177. So one of the scrubs of FCS the Liberty beat was way better than UConn in 2019. If Liberty played UConn in 2019 it would have LOWERED Liberty's SOS!

Reaction Score
Liberty won't get a week off til after they play UConn. UConn will have three home games(Indiana, ODU and then Maine), a week off then at Ole Miss leading up to the home game with Liberty. I like UConn's chances vs liberty. I like UConn's chances for a minimum of 5 wins and a possibility for 7 wins.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Remind me again, who did UConn beat in 2019? Just in case you missed it, New Mexico State was rated ahead of UConn for 2019 FBS schools as was New Mexico by Massey.
Just to cover FCS looked at Maine, they were 147 out of 256 Div 1 teams, UConn was 177. So one of the scrubs of FCS the Liberty beat was way better than UConn in 2019. If Liberty played UConn in 2019 it would have LOWERED Liberty's SOS!
You’re right, 2019 Liberty is essentially Bama and the 1985 bears combined. We don’t stand a chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom