Expansion Study | The Boneyard

Expansion Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Redhawk on Landthieves posted the link to the Google Doc below. Not sure who to give credit to.

Redhawk said:
According to this study:
The largest Fanbases are:
1) BYU
2) UCONN
3) USF
4) UCF
5) Boise St

This list suggests the order of the Big 12 additions should be:
1) BYU
2) UCF
3) UConn
4) USF
5) Cincinnati

I'm not sure a conference with a school in Provo, Morgantown and Orlando Florida makes any sense.

Reaction Score
Pretty cool put-together. Missing some key info though like reach of cable subscriptions and academic profile. Most of this info is based on alumni and fan base. Not saying this info is not important but it's of secondary importance, IMO.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Total enrollment for UConn 2015 is 31624, which would put us at 6 not 9 in that category. Doesn't really matter, but good to see how we are stacking up.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Total enrollment for UConn 2015 is 31624, which would put us at 6 not 9 in that category. Doesn't really matter, but good to see how we are stacking up.

I thought our number looked low. They're obviously only counting Storrs.

Reaction Score
Interesting; but, does not take into account the value of a fan base with respect to cable boxes and also the academic factors, which is a strong consideration with at least 1 conferrers - the B1G.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Good stuff. Between the fanbase info and other factors used like TVs, academics and actual on-the-court/field success, it's extremely difficult for anyone with a rational mind to argue against UConn being a Top 2 candidate.

Reaction Score
Hard to imagine UConn and BYU not being the first two off-the-table when the B12 expands.

Reaction Score
For us to be #1 in the AAC in fan base size for football with no national championships, no major bowl wins, low double-digit years, no double-digit win seasons, the Paul Pasqualoni and George DeLeone era while in the top tier of college football is enormous.

Reaction Score
I thought our number looked low. They're obviously only counting Storrs.

Should it count anything else, though? I don't really consider a Waterbury or Stamford grad a UConn Alum.

Reaction Score
Should it count anything else, though? I don't really consider a Waterbury or Stamford grad a UConn Alum.
Could be, but the overwhelming majority of branch students who continue their studies and graduate in Storrs may prefer not to be included in your narrow, inaccurate perspective. As stated on their diplomas, they are absolutely graduates of the University of Connecticut. Just a fact!

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Why wouldn't they count? Every other school counts its branch students.

Reaction Score
Could be, but the overwhelming majority of branch students who continue their studies and graduate in Storrs may prefer not to be included in your narrow, inaccurate perspective. As stated on their diplomas, they are absolutely graduates of the University of Connecticut. Just a fact!

But don't the people who move from the branches to Storrs get counted in the Storrs numbers? So those people are already accounted for.

Reaction Score
I found it interesting that you could sign up for classes at the Harvard Evening School and when you got your degree it would say it was from Harvard University. I intended to enroll for a 2nd degree when I was abruptly transferred to another city years ago. Talk about an incredible opportunity to get a degree in any discipline that would open doors on Wall Street among a million other places.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong or perhaps things have changed. UConn is one University so all diplomas are from UConn. I thought the branches offered first and second year courses while all students eventually studied at Storrs. Either way, they are not separate colleges, just locations.

Reaction Score
My Daughter got her letter congratulating her and welcoming her to UCONN, but at this time there is no room at the main campus. So they offered her one of the other campuses until there is room at the main one. She ending up going to UHART. Her GPA was 3.9, so they gave her a good Scholarship. anyways I would say they are still UCONN students

Reaction Score
I may be wrong or perhaps things have changed. UConn is one University so all diplomas are from UConn. I thought the branches offered first and second year courses while all students eventually studied at Storrs. Either way, they are not separate colleges, just locations.

You can do either. The options aren't as large at the branches, though.

I just hated how everyone would come in from the branches with inflated GPA's and got the same degree as me. The branches aren't nearly as difficult as a Storrs equivalent course. I also don't understand why someone that graduates a branch gets a University of Connecticut degree that counts the same as someone who graduates from Storrs - again, the course load and difficulty of the courses don't really compare.

Reaction Score
Redhawk on Landthieves posted the link to the Google Doc below. Not sure who to give credit to.

But I'm not sure you can really even say UCF'S massive student body and alumni are part of their fanbase. Most people are likely way more passionate about FSU or UF.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I'm guessing it BYU generated since some of the categories only have BYU responses and yet are still used for computing the "weighted average."

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Stop looking where UConn scores, and spend a minute or two looking at the header titles. "Most powerful alumni" lol. "Distinguished Alumni". It looks to me to be a set of criteria used to put BYU on top of the list. Its an inane spreadsheet. Might as well ask who has the best dairy bar as a selection criteria. At best its part of a larger whole but at worst its basement homebrew.

Let's think for a minute. The big 10 is going to go "Hmmm, The BYU distinguished alumni index is awesome!Lets overlook their difficulties outside Utah and Sunday!"". More importantly, what's omitted? The things that matter to a television provider. It's market, market, market. It's academic performance to cover that you aren't grabbing somebody just for the money. It's football ratings and potential to be a competitive partner long term. It's geography and content. Half this spreadsheet is useless. And I am not discrediting BYU. I think they are well supported in Utah and in their religious demographic and a good athletic program. they may be number one in the real measures.

And I hate you all for making me post in a realignment thread. I am going to start drinking and cavorting with unsavory women. I am unclean.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Stop looking where UConn scores, and spend a minute or two looking at the header titles. "Most powerful alumni" lol. "Distinguished Alumni". It looks to me to be a set of criteria used to put BYU on top of the list. Its an inane spreadsheet. Might as well ask who has the best dairy bar as a selection criteria. At best its part of a larger whole but at worst its basement homebrew.

Let's think for a minute. The big 10 is going to go "Hmmm, The BYU distinguished alumni index is awesome!Lets overlook their difficulties outside Utah and Sunday!"". More importantly, what's omitted? The things that matter to a television provider. It's market, market, market. It's academic performance to cover that you aren't grabbing somebody just for the money. It's football ratings and potential to be a competitive partner long term. It's geography and content. Half this spreadsheet is useless. And I am not discrediting BYU. I think they are well supported in Utah and in their religious demographic and a good athletic program. they may be number one in the real measures.

And I hate you all for making me post in a realignment thread. I am going to start drinking and cavorting with unsavory women. I am unclean.

People can manipulate data anyway they see fit. This BYU guy did some good work. Give him credit for that. But you're spot on - what the hell is a "powerful alumni"? "Distinguished alumni"? Every other school is listed as N/A. What's the criteria used to determine who is powerful/distinguished? Also, the football records are conveniently using the past 5 seasons. UConn's football in the last 5 years is obviously bad (thanks Hathaway/Pasqualoni!). If I'm not mistaken, Navigate used 10 years of data. UConn's football data (record, attendance, bowls, etc) is MUCH better than what is represented on his document.

Anyway, this guy did a good job painting BYU in a good light. My own personal opinion is that UConn and BYU present the best data of all the candidates. It's hard to poke holes in anything that doesn't come to the same conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom