Examiner: UConn may be too good for it's own good | The Boneyard

Examiner: UConn may be too good for it's own good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I cannot dispute that UConn looks very, very good, and I doubt anyone would accept an even money bet against anyone else.

That said, Baylor looked pretty tough last year, and many thought they were close to a lock for a repeat. We all know what happened. The Chiefs gave up a 28 point lead yesterday. Stuff happens. Let's not plan the net cutting ceremony yet, and even if that does happen, let's not snooze until then. Enjoy every minute of it. If wbb gets better over the next decade, one of the main reasons will be coaches copying Geno as much as possible, and some coming close.

Reaction Score
I cannot dispute that UConn looks very, very good, and I doubt anyone would accept an even money bet against anyone else.

That said, Baylor looked pretty tough last year, and many thought they were close to a lock for a repeat. We all know what happened. The Chiefs gave up a 28 point lead yesterday. Stuff happens. Let's not plan the net cutting ceremony yet, and even if that does happen,

The only ones that seem to be planning the net cutting ceremony are outside of UConn.

let's not snooze until then.

The only thing I'm getting tired of are all these articles and commentary by supposed experts blaming the greatness of UConn for the supposed ills if WCB.

If wbb gets better over the next decade, one of the main reasons will be coaches copying Geno as much as possible, and some coming close.

Melissa McFerrin gets it.....

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As close at the Maryland game was in the first half it was the first game that KML and Tuck sat out and UConn built a lead...on the road....of over 20pts. If healthy the only way UConn loses IMO is they beat themselves. They are a machine that works very well together while most other teams of parts of a machine that don't always work together and break down. UConn is so far over the top and at a level that no team has ever been to in WCBB it hard to believe they could lose...but I do agree a fluke could happen and they could lose. For me UConn losing this season is almost unimaginable. They would have to forget they had a game and not show up to have a lose.

Why I don't think they will lose like Baylor did...is because Geno coaches defense and UConns perimeter defense is terrific. Also LVille banged up Griner pretty good to keep her from scoring and UConn has to many scorers so banging up one player wont stop UConns scoring. Evidenced by KML and Tuck sitting out and UConn still rolled over top teams.

Stop and think where would WCBB be without Geno and UConn. There was Texas LaTech and Tenn before them. But WCBB has never seen anything like what UConn has done. I don't think you could even dream that big. They are at a level and done things that no other teams previously has ever done. It is almost imaginable that they continue to reach new heights in WCBB and break their own records and there is not a team close to competing with them. Where would WCBB be without them? What happens to WCBB when Geno retires? Casual fans come to see the UConn circus look at Memphis's attendance yesterday. The AAC's attendance will be up when the UConn show comes to town making more people aware and more girls aware of WCBB and UConn. UConn is the draw. Much like Texas LaTech and Tenn before them UConn is what drives WCBB right now.

So what does happen when Geno retires? I expect UConn and WCBB will work out a deal where his retirement is over a period of time. The transition period with be to bring in another head coach who will work with and side by side with Geno to continue what we know as UConn WCBB at a top level. WCBB and the State of Conn need UConn and Geno. They need them to continue what they are doing for the game and they need them to remain as one of the top teams while other teams continue to develop and play catch up.

The chances of UConn losing this year are so slim its crazy to even consider it imo. Next season with KML and Breanna, as a one two punch and with the maturity of BB, MoJeff, Tuck, and Stokes. It will be very hard to beat UConn again. The following year will depend on who else Geno recruits but already he has a terrific base to work from. That's approx. 80 more games and a chance to set more records for NCs and wins. No one is stopping this train for a long time.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The only ones that seem to be planning the net cutting ceremony are outside of UConn.

The only thing I'm getting tired of are all these articles and commentary by supposed experts blaming the greatness of UConn for the supposed ills if WCB.

I like this women a lot. I think her team executed well. I think she had a good game plan. Her kids are very well coached and I think at some point Memphis will be a really good BB team.

Her interview was great. Giving credit and taking responsibility and knowing where her team is at. No excuses, and no blaming. She knows where her team is at and she knows what she has to do. Im very impressed with her. She's gonna build a great team at Memphis.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Well, that likely is not going to change until Stewart graduates. If you can land Wilson, that is likely not going to change until SHE graduates.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
The only thing that might beat us this year are injuries, which can always happen.

Reaction Score

The most interesting thing she said was regarding how quickly UConn picked up on, and then stopped, whatever plans they had. That is very good scouting, coaching, and play. Tough combo to beat.

Reaction Score
Well, that likely is not going to change until Stewart graduates. If you can land Wilson, that is likely not going to change until SHE graduates.
Wilson won't make or break us if we get Brown (2015) to go with the 4 wings/guards we have in 2014.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It shows that Geno and his staff are on a different level than everyone else.

I don't think the Huskies will get apathetic or overconfident.

Reaction Score
I like this women a lot. I think her team executed well. I think she had a good game plan. Her kids are very well coached and I think at some point Memphis will be a really good BB team.

Her interview was great. Giving credit and taking responsibility and knowing where her team is at. No excuses, and no blaming. She knows where her team is at and she knows what she has to do. Im very impressed with her. She's gonna build a great team at Memphis.
Very impressive. Great to have a coach like that in the AAC

Reaction Score

Oh yeah I know it's not gonna go away. I was just implying that that is the only thing I will be 'snoozing' on.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I would be shocked. Just sayin.

Melissa is in her early 50's. She coached at American for 4 years to a 50-70 record. In 5 years at Memphis she is a solid unspectacular 95-68, with 1 really good year, 2 good years, and 2 bleh, her first and last year.

I think she is a solid coach with a strong background in the W. She was one of the NY Liberty original assistants. I think Memphis will become competitive in the AAC, but I don't look for national competitiveness. That doesn't mean she doesn't "get it", just a reality of the world.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Wilson won't make or break us if we get Brown (2015) to go with the 4 wings/guards we have in 2014.

She may not break you, but she would "make" you. If you land her you are set for four years. She is 6-5 with guard-like skills, from what I have heard, much in the mold of Parker.

Reaction Score
As close at the Maryland game was in the first half it was the first game that KML and Tuck sat out and UConn built a lead...on the road....of over 20pts. If healthy the only way UConn loses IMO is they beat themselves. They are a machine that works very well together while most other teams of parts of a machine that don't always work together and break down. UConn is so far over the top and at a level that no team has ever been to in WCBB it hard to believe they could lose...but I do agree a fluke could happen and they could lose. For me UConn losing this season is almost unimaginable. They would have to forget they had a game and not show up to have a lose.

Why I don't think they will lose like Baylor did...is because Geno coaches defense and UConns perimeter defense is terrific. Also LVille banged up Griner pretty good to keep her from scoring and UConn has to many scorers so banging up one player wont stop UConns scoring. Evidenced by KML and Tuck sitting out and UConn still rolled over top teams.

Stop and think where would WCBB be without Geno and UConn. There was Texas LaTech and Tenn before them. But WCBB has never seen anything like what UConn has done. I don't think you could even dream that big. They are at a level and done things that no other teams previously has ever done. It is almost imaginable that they continue to reach new heights in WCBB and break their own records and there is not a team close to competing with them. Where would WCBB be without them? What happens to WCBB when Geno retires? Casual fans come to see the UConn circus look at Memphis's attendance yesterday. The AAC's attendance will be up when the UConn show comes to town making more people aware and more girls aware of WCBB and UConn. UConn is the draw. Much like Texas LaTech and Tenn before them UConn is what drives WCBB right now.

So what does happen when Geno retires? I expect UConn and WCBB will work out a deal where his retirement is over a period of time. The transition period with be to bring in another head coach who will work with and side by side with Geno to continue what we know as UConn WCBB at a top level. WCBB and the State of Conn need UConn and Geno. They need them to continue what they are doing for the game and they need them to remain as one of the top teams while other teams continue to develop and play catch up.

The chances of UConn losing this year are so slim its crazy to even consider it imo. Next season with KML and Breanna, as a one two punch and with the maturity of BB, MoJeff, Tuck, and Stokes. It will be very hard to beat UConn again. The following year will depend on who else Geno recruits but already he has a terrific base to work from. That's approx. 80 more games and a chance to set more records for NCs and wins. No one is stopping this train for a long time.
One of the elements of UConn's success is that they aren't reliant on just one player or just one thing. Baylor was a very formidable opponent primarily because of Griner though Sims is a fantastic player, as well. The uniqueness of Griner and what she did to destroy other teams psyche on both ends of the court but primarily on the defensive side was once in a generation or beyond. When she had a relatively poor game against Louisville in the tournament and Louisville shot unconscious from beyond the arc, it allowed the Cardinals to eek out a win. UConn's discipline on the defensive side and their balance throughout the lineup, exemplified by how they have played top ten opponents this year with KML and Morgan Tuck out of the lineup, tells you exactly how outstanding a team and how well coached a team UConn is. Baylor had nothing resembling UConn's balance and though Sims carried Baylor on her back against Louisville, it turned out not be quite enough. Then, of course, UConn, with their wonderful defensive prowess and the play of Dolson (through injury) and Breanna's coming out party, totally dismantled Louisville, after having done the same to Notre Dame. The only team I've seen that has anything remotely like UConn's skill level and discipline is Notre Dame and I think a bit of that started to be that they had somehow gotten into UConn's head. I think that element is gone with Skylar because in almost every game they played over the past few years, there was a time where UConn seemed to be on the verge of blowing the game open and then made bonehead (atypical) plays that got Notre Dame back into the game. I'm guessing those days are over.

Reaction Score
There are no sure bets. As proof look at the undefeated Patriots. Prognosticators were predicting scores of 42-10, 42-7. No one gave the Giants any chance of winning. All that 19-0 gear was sent to schools in South America where the kids had no idea what it meant. Notre Dame, Maryland and Stanford will provide the strongest test, should we meet them in the tournament. Remember, there is no "Sure Thing".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She may not break you, but she would "make" you. If you land her you are set for four years. She is 6-5 with guard-like skills, from what I have heard, much in the mold of Parker.
Agreed. If we get her, the 90-game win streak could be broken.

We almost had a line-up that included Tina Charles, Maya Moore, AND Elena DelleDonne. Plus Kalana Greene, Renee Montgomery, Tiffany Hayes, et al.

Reaction Score

I recently started thinking about what Stef Dolson brings to UConn and how essential she is to UConn's offense as well as their defense. On the offensive side, it seems that everything goes through her, almost every time down the court. She is like our quarterback with every play starting with her and with her distributing. She is such a threat down low and so she requires a lot of attention. When she gets a pass inside, it causes others to collapse on her and with her passing abilities she has the flexibility to distribute all through around the perimeter or even hit someone cutting inside. Then there's the potential she is going to spin and score with either her left or right hand, making defending UConn nearly impossible. Who's going to be doing anything like that next year????? Dolson is one of a kind and she is also someone who's personality keeps everyone loose on the team. Beyond that, she is a shotblocker and defensive force on the other end of the court. A really big loss for this team. Even last year, when she was hobbling at the end of the season, she fought through it and was a key to their championship. Had she not played against Notre Dame, who knows how that might have changed the game. Obviously Stewart played phenomenally but would she have been able to do the things she did with no Dolson there to distribute or occupy the defense????

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Agreed. If we get her, the 90-game win streak could be broken.

We almost had a line-up that included Tina Charles, Maya Moore, AND Elena DelleDonne. Plus Kalana Greene, Renee Montgomery, Tiffany Hayes, et al.

That would have been the best team EVER...hands down.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Maybe instead of plugging titles about how UConn is "too good" for its own or WCBB's good, maybe the attention should focus on how in the AAC the attendance on the road for teams like UCF and Memphis have jumped by 5 to 10 times as much as a standard game, and that some of those once-a-year fans there will likely be turning into more than once-a-year fans and that the BEasting of the AAC has begun and that other teams are going to be pulled along on the Husky sled ride.

And speaking of things many of us are tired about, the old line about Baylor being an overwhelming favorite until Louisville somehow had the bright idea to come up with the killer whack-a-BG defense. Baylor had seen that tough-love ploy many times before, and quite simply they did not execute well enough with other options while Louisville raised their game to another level for much of the 40 minutes. The game was still close at the end and could have gone either way because eventually Baylor did get the Simsulator going full bore. That should have happened for most of those 40 minutes and it had not been allowed to happen enough times earlier in the season to work well as a comfortable switch in emphasis.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The main point is simply incorrect. Honestly if I lived in CT, i'm not sure i'd attend every game since every game is televised. Is there any other team in WCBB that literally has every single game televised? Heck I live in San Diego and with my ability to get SNY, I've not missed a single game. Even the Oregon game, which I believe was on the Pac10 network, was a game I was able to see.

I know there's a student section already, but I wonder if any unsold tickets at game time could be given to students who want to attend the games? Publicize it on campus? Sure they'd be in the upper sections, but certainly a way to get more fannies in the seats...

Last edited:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Well....just maybe this year's UConn team can follow in the footsteps of the undefeated NCAA championship team Baylor team from last year. No way anyone was going to beat them!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Part of what perplexes me about stories like this is, they mention declining attendance - and yet, when I look for available tickets on the UConn website, I get the opposite impression. The "pick 3" package UConn advertises wouldn't allow me to select the Cincy game, and, when I look for seats at either venue, there is nothing that's not in nosebleed sections. So, either the website won't put decent seats available, or these seats are sold, but not sat in. Just speaking for myself, I've actively looked at going at more than the 2 games I've attended thus far, but haven't seen a seat that I wanted, other than extremely expensive ones on ticket resale sites.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sounds like more whining from the armchair coaches. The ticket issue is an excuse to complain about excellence.

Maybe journalist (if they are indeed journalists) start demanding other teams up their level of play. ND has done it and so has Stamford. Coaches need to be held accountable for mediocre seasons. And the universities and their AD's should also be held accountable.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
The main point is simply incorrect. Honestly if I lived in CT, i'm not sure i'd attend every game since every game is televised. Is there any other team in WCBB that literally has every single game televised? Heck I live in San Diego and with my ability to get SNY, I've not missed a single game. Even the Oregon game, which I believe was on the Pac10 network, was a game I was able to see.
How do you get SNY in San Diego?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom