Evina Westbrook's journey underway | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Evina Westbrook's journey underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have to disagree that Evina Westbrook is a star. Evina spent two years in the SEC and failed to make 1st or 2nd team all SEC in either season. Her teammate of the same HS class Rennia Davis at least made 2nd team all SEC. That ESPN now has a renewed vested interest in promoting all things UCONN vs TN would mostly explain that ESPN crawler. Also significant that Evina was the player who called for the firing of Holly. There was hardly a peep from ESPN when these former #2 players decided to transfer: Kelsey Bone, Diamond DeShields,Taya Reimer, Kaela Davis, Erin Boley, or Charli Collier.

Two small points. Charlie Collier has not transferred. And there was plenty of talk and publicity when Diamond transferred (as opposed to hardly a peep).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's a strange twisted history of Holly and Evina that is getting started; begun by a "journalist" in Nashville. At no time did she outright call for Holly to go. It's understsandable that @Coco Husky would say "Also significant that Evina was the player who called for the firing of Holly." She said "steps" had to be taken with staff - off the court. For all we know that meant get a better assistant skilled in offense, or they needed a better ankle wrapper (ok, maybe not that!).

Reaction Score
Well, whether she liked or approved of Holley's coaching skills or not, she is in for an eye opener when she begins Geno's practice sessions. This is a whole different world in contrast to many other programs with playing time key to practice enthusiasm. If she is a star or not, she will have plenty of opportunity to prove this with four other fine players on the floor at the same time who buy into the system.

She has skills. The program will teach. Then it is up to her to live up to her potential.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree that Evina Westbrook is a star. Evina spent two years in the SEC and failed to make 1st or 2nd team all SEC in either season. Her teammate of the same HS class Rennia Davis at least made 2nd team all SEC. That ESPN now has a renewed vested interest in promoting all things UCONN vs TN would mostly explain that ESPN crawler. Also significant that Evina was the player who called for the firing of Holly. There was hardly a peep from ESPN when these former #2 players decided to transfer: Kelsey Bone, Diamond DeShields,Taya Reimer, Kaela Davis, Erin Boley, or Charli Collier.
Well you make some good points about ESPN's interest in Evina as a ratings bolster of the upcoming UConn-TN game, but I disagree that Evina's post-game comments "called for the firing of Holly." That would be a broad and almost distorted view of what she actually said. Certainly that might have been your own interpretation, but you can't say she called for Holly's firing as a literal quote... And the fact that Evina did not make the SEC's 1st or 2nd team only speaks to the conference's talent of level. As a comparative, you would no doubt agree that overall, the SEC is a far stronger conference than the AAC, so if you consider Crystal Dangerfield a star who averaged 13.7 and 6.2 in a weaker conference, while Evina averaged 14.9 and 5.3 in the stronger SEC with relatively similar non-conference foes, either one has to devaluate Dangerfield to a non-star status, or Evina must be elevated to the "star" realm...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well you make some good points about ESPN's interest in Evina as a ratings bolster of the upcoming UConn-TN game, but I disagree that Evina's post-game comments "called for the firing of Holly." That would be a broad and almost distorted view of what she actually said. Certainly that might have been your own interpretation, but you can't say she called for Holly's firing as a literal quote... And the fact that Evina did not make the SEC's 1st or 2nd team only speaks to the conference's talent of level. As a comparative, you would no doubt agree that overall, the SEC is a far stronger conference than the AAC, so if you consider Crystal Dangerfield a star who averaged 13.7 and 6.2 in a weaker conference, while Evina averaged 14.9 and 5.3 in the stronger SEC with relatively similar non-conference foes, either one has to devaluate Dangerfield to a non-star status, or Evina must be elevated to the "star" realm...
"Evina Westbrook got candid with us in post-game, said changes need to be made to the program off the court, specifically in the #LadyVols coaching staff. "

Don't believe my interpretation is broad or almost distorted. A narrow interpretation might be the one offered by some that Evina might be talking about an assistant coach(es). If Evina was talking about an assistant coach nobody would hardly care and this would not be news. In fact very few people even know or care who the LadyVols assistants are. The way it works is the head coach gets to pick the staff. An "almost" distorted view would be one which says Holly was not part of the LadyVols staff and THE main person whose job was in jeopardy-& rightfully so.

Don't believe this hype and this is not a fact: "The fact that Evina did not make the SEC's 1st or 2nd team only speaks to the conference's talent of level." Here is an actual fact: It is players like Maci Morris at Kentucky , and T'ea Cooper at South Carolina that kept Evina from making an all SEC 1st or 2nd team.
Here are my opinions about that previously disclosed fact: 1) You can't call Evina a "star" if she can't out perform Maci or T'ea. 2) No need to bring Crystal into this comparison, the fact is Crystal has already outperformed both Maci & T'ea.

How about we wait to elevate Evina to "star" status once she makes 1st team all AAC which will likely not happen until after Crystal is suiting up in the W.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When is Evina eligible for the WNBA draft?
According to the rules of the WNBA, individuals must be at least 22-years-old and have graduated or will graduate in the next three-months from a college or university, so I believe Westbrook would be eligible after the 2019-2020 season...

Reaction Score
According to the rules of the WNBA, individuals must be at least 22-years-old and have graduated or will graduate in the next three-months from a college or university, so I believe Westbrook would be eligible after the 2019-2020 season...
...Or rather the 2020-2021 season. Sorry bad math ")

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know that the WNBA enforces the part about "have graduated or will graduate in the next three-months" at least that was not the case for Jewell Loyd.

Reaction Score
I don't know that the WNBA enforces the part about "have graduated or will graduate in the next three-months" at least that was not the case for Jewell Loyd.
Loyd was 22 before the start of that WNBA season so she was eligible...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Loyd was 22 before the start of that WNBA season so she was eligible...
The full rule is turn 22 in the year that the WNBA draft is conducted. Jewell Loyd's DOB is Oct 05, 1993 so she did not turn 22 until after her first WNBA season was over.

I think the eligibility criteria is "either graduated or is 22 years of age"...
Pretty sure that is not the case since this would make all graduate transfers eligible. Anriel Howard would not have needed to transfer to Mississippi State for her final season for example.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The full rule is turn 22 in the year that the WNBA draft is conducted. Jewell Loyd's DOB is Oct 05, 1993 so she did not turn 22 until after her first WNBA season was over.

Pretty sure that is not the case since this would make all graduate transfers eligible. Anriel Howard would not have needed to transfer to Mississippi State for her final season for example.
  1. Who’s eligible to be drafted?
The league requires draft entrants to be at least 22 years old during the year in which the draft takes place and has no remaining college eligibility or renounces any future college eligibility.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes. Let us not forget as well the coaching factor. Holly is the first coach that I can remember that failed to take a number 1 overall recruit and turn them into a first (or even second) team AA. To me that speaks volumes. EW to me is a star in the making. However, to be so it ain't gonna be easy. I am personally waiting for that shell shocked look after a Geno practice when he brings out a chair and tells her "At least guard this".

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

Is it possible that even though Howard (and perhaps others) were draft-eligible a year earlier than they actually entered the draft, they deliberately chose not to "renounce" their remaining college eligibility so that they could burnish their credentials to make themselves more attractive to the WNBA (and to overseas teams) a year later?

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what Evelyn Adebayo is thinking.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is it possible that even though Howard (and perhaps others) were draft-eligible a year earlier than they actually entered the draft, they deliberately chose not to "renounce" their remaining college eligibility so that they could burnish their credentials to make themselves more attractive to the WNBA (and to overseas teams) a year later? I wouldn't be surprised if that is what Evelyn Adebayo is thinking.
It is entirely possible. Anriel Howard DOB is May 6, 1997 by age she was not eligible for the 2018 WNBA draft. She also had not completed her degree by the time of that draft which was April 2018. A better example of a player WNBA eligible but returning to school & hoping to improve their stock is Beatrice MomPremier who was eligible for the 2019 WNBA draft by age but chose to return to Miami. This graphic from WNBA PA lays out the eligibility criteria definitively.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Evina Westbrook got candid with us in post-game, said changes need to be made to the program off the court, specifically in the #LadyVols coaching staff. "

@CocoHusky I love yuh, but you continue to mistakenly believe what you read from the so called "press'. She didn't even say coaching staff. She said staff. My own supposition is she was upset about the small and fusty smelling towels in the locker room post game. The above quote is just a small sample of the bad stuff now called media coverage. In truth, it's far less than journalism. Why you continue to quote this stuff in the face of video saying something different I don't know. Did she wanna say "Fire the B*t*h", well I should hope so, but why we drag the Lady Vols dirty laundry here - and perpetuate BS I don't know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@CocoHusky I love yuh, but you continue to mistakenly believe what you read from the so called "press'. She didn't even say coaching staff. She said staff. My own supposition is she was upset about the small and fusty smelling towels in the locker room post game. The above quote is just a small sample of the bad stuff now called media coverage. In truth, it's far less than journalism. Why you continue to quote this stuff in the face of video saying something different I don't know. Did she wanna say "Fire the B*t*h", well I should hope so, but why we drag the Lady Vols dirty laundry here - and perpetuate BS I don't know.
Luv you too... That quote appears in multiple places but I suppose multiple reporters could have gotten it wrong. BTW Evina response to a follow up question to that quote far more daming. See for yourself.
Tennessee Lady Vols firing Holly Warlick was necessary after Evina Westbrook quotes

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Luv you too... That quote appears in multiple places but I suppose multiple reporters could have gotten it wrong. BTW Evina response to a follow up question to that quote far more daming. See for yourself.
Tennessee Lady Vols firing Holly Warlick was necessary after Evina Westbrook quotes
Caleb Calhoun is a blogger from TN that is looking for clicks. He’s attempting to frame a story to create controversy by implying far too much significance to Evina’s comment, “I don’t know” when asked to comment about Holly’s future.

The question should never have been asked by the reporter in the first place. Calhoun’s suggestion that TN had to fire HW because of Evina’s reply to the question is absurd. To quote Willie Shakespeare, “It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Caleb Calhoun is a blogger from TN that is looking for clicks. He’s attempting to frame a story to create controversy by implying far too much significance to Evina’s comment, “I don’t know” when asked to comment about Holly’s future.

The question should never have been asked by the reporter in the first place. Calhoun’s suggestion that TN had to fire HW because of Evina’s reply to the question is absurd. To quote Willie Shakespeare, “It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”
I supposed we misinterpreted Evina "Sorry, not sorry" remark as well. Hate when that happens.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I supposed we misinterpreted Evina "Sorry, not sorry" remark as well. Hate when that happens.
Coco, I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make by continuing to drag up every comment that a young person made during an emotional one month period including the end of a disappointing season, the decision to transfer and a commitment to a new school. Thank god you and I didn’t grow up during a time when social media, bloggers and fan forums recorded, interpreted and amplified our every thought.

Let me say it again. Evina did not call for, nor was she responsible for HW’s firing. LV fans and alums had been calling for HW’s ouster for years and the heat on Phil Fulmer to do something was building throughout the single worst season in memory, culminating in a disastrous first round exit in the NCAA’s, a tournament the LV’s probably should not have been invited to in the first place.

Evina is a Husky now and she gets a clean slate as far as I’m concerned. I have great confidence in Geno, CD, Shea & Jasmine to bring out the best in her, not only as a player, but also as a person.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam