Evina Westbrook's journey underway | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Evina Westbrook's journey underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How so?

That would be nice.

Hmmm, no so sure about that. One she hasn't even played a game, or even practiced with UCONN. Two, Dangerfield, Williams, Walker.
Now this is just high grade trolling. Oh, and, you over reached. Come on, you know you did. That last sentence just pure ....hmmm, what word can I get by Nan and JS? There isn't an appropriate word that will survive ... but you know.
At least you gave me a "High Grade"!

Reaction Score
Now this is just high grade trolling. Oh, and, you over reached. Come on, you know you did. That last sentence just pure ....hmmm, what word can I get by Nan and JS? There isn't an appropriate word that will survive ... but you know.

I tend to like the term "bull-pucky" in this situation.:D

Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook undoubtedly is a star: when your decision to enter the transfer portal is "breaking news" and becomes a lead story on ESPN's bottom screen crawler, and subsequently your decision to transfer to UConn is flashed on ESPN as "breaking news", and then AP, ESPN, CBS Sports does follow up stories on your transfer, I think you'd pretty much have to say Westbrook is a star, or at the very least, has star quality and star appeal... Conversely, if Evina isn't a star, I'd be hard pressed and challenged to explain why she is garnering all this attention....

Reaction Score
I hope Evina does get clearance to play in the 2019-20 season, as I look forward to all the BYers' praise, accolades, and gushing about Evina "Star" Westbrook.
If and when she lives up the the status of the UConn "stars" that have come before her, we shall shower her with praise. If not, no worries. I believe she will contribute to the overall greatness that is UConn WBB.

Reaction Score
Evina is really good quality player. She was able to do a lot under the tutelage of a coach or coaches who didn’t have the ability to help players play to their full ability or at or around their ability or always had to coach effort. Now a star, I’d have to say not yet. I don’t think any current UConn player is a star. The stars of this past year were Ionescu, Collier, Gustafson, Durr, Ogunbowale (eye roll), McCowan, etc....she’s not a star yet, but anytime a player is a first team all conference player and the best player on their team, it will be breaking news especially if they transfer to UCONN. Don’t get me wrong, she’s definitely capable of being a star but we will have to see. Azura Stevens is an example of transitioning from a bad coaching system and going to a program that has very, very high expectations and playing with players who are just as good or better than you. This is a program where you don’t get to play based off what you did last year or in high school, you get to play based off how you practice at UConn. Let’s see if Westbrook has what it takes. I’m really hoping she does

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook undoubtedly is a star: when your decision to enter the transfer portal is "breaking news" and becomes a lead story on ESPN's bottom screen crawler, and subsequently your decision to transfer to UConn is flashed on ESPN as "breaking news", and then AP, ESPN, CBS Sports does follow up stories on your transfer, I think you'd pretty much have to say Westbrook is a star, or at the very least, has star quality and star appeal... Conversely, if Evina isn't a star, I'd be hard pressed and challenged to explain why she is garnering all this attention....
I have to disagree that Evina Westbrook is a star. Evina spent two years in the SEC and failed to make 1st or 2nd team all SEC in either season. Her teammate of the same HS class Rennia Davis at least made 2nd team all SEC. That ESPN now has a renewed vested interest in promoting all things UCONN vs TN would mostly explain that ESPN crawler. Also significant that Evina was the player who called for the firing of Holly. There was hardly a peep from ESPN when these former #2 players decided to transfer: Kelsey Bone, Diamond DeShields,Taya Reimer, Kaela Davis, Erin Boley, or Charli Collier.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree that Evina Westbrook is a star. Evina spent two years in the SEC and failed to make 1st or 2nd team all SEC in either season. Her teammate of the same HS class Rennia Davis at least made 2nd team all SEC. That ESPN now has a renewed vested interest in promoting all things UCONN vs TN would mostly explain that ESPN crawler. Also significant that Evina was the player who called for the firing of Holly. There was hardly a peep from ESPN when these former #2 players decided to transfer: Kelsey Bone, Diamond DeShields,Taya Reimer, Kaela Davis, Erin Boley, or Charli Collier.

Why do you think this? I understand that most point to the interview that Westbrook gave in which she was asked "if there were steps that need to be taken in the off season" and she answered "Most definitely, I just think off the court stuff, steps need to taken with our staff, and just overall off the court with this team". She then refused to give specific examples. I took this as Westbrook alluding to a problem with the culture and closeness of the team off the court, and that the coaching staff would have to find a way of addressing that issue. Maybe I am in the minority in my thinking, but I was just curious why you think that Westbrook called for the firing of Warlick?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Time will tell whether Evina is a star or not, but let’s be clear. She did not call for Holly’s firing. Following a disappointing loss in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament, following a disappointing season, a disheartened Westbrook was sitting in front of her locker when a reporter stuck a mic in front of her and asked an inappropriate question to a young player who responded out of frustration that steps need to be taken with our staff. When the reporter pressed Evina for clarification, she refused to add more fuel to the fire.

Most LV fans initially praised Evina for having the courage to take a bullet for the team by expressing what everyone in Knoxville already knew, that HW had run the team into the ground. It was only after Evina announced her intention to transfer and ended up at TN’s “hated rival” that many LV fans turned on her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn’t know she didn’t make first or second team either season. I just assumed she made 1st team in my post.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why do you think this?

Time will tell whether Evina is a star or not, but let’s be clear. She did not call for Holly’s firing.

"Before that, Westbrook was asked whether there are offseason steps that need to be taken.
“I just think off-the-court stuff, steps need to be taken with our staff and just overall off the court with this team,” she (Evina) said."

Asked about Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick, Evina Westbrook offers interesting response

As I said at the time well before Evina decided to transfer to UCONN and which I stand by today.
Players should play or transfer if they don't like the current situation. Steps (whatever they are) as it relates to a coaching staff was none of Evina's business or any player for that matter. "No comment" or "I can't speak to that" would have been most appropriate answers to the reporters question. BTW Geno has stated that he has spoken to Evina about those comments.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Before that, Westbrook was asked whether there are offseason steps that need to be taken.
“I just think off-the-court stuff, steps need to be taken with our staff and just overall off the court with this team,” she (Evina) said."

Asked about Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick, Evina Westbrook offers interesting response

As I said at the time well before Evina decided to transfer to UCONN and which I stand by today.
Players should play or transfer if they don't like the current situation. Steps (whatever they are) as it relates to a coaching staff was none of Evina's business or any player for that matter. "No comment" or "I can't speak to that" would have been most appropriate answers to the reporters question. BTW Geno has stated that he has spoken to Evina about those comments.

I don't believe for a second that the kid's distraught mumblings in the locker room had anything to do with Holly's dismissal. It was long overdue, but her chum buddy AD protected her until his shirt collar got too tight. Your opinion on this is very old school. Would your opinion be the same in the case of an abusive coaching staff? See, I believe it is very much the players' business about the quality of the coaching staff, because many of them are there looking to get coached up and made ready for a professional career. They weren't recruited to get crummy coaching and an endless parade of assistant coach changes.

MTC

Reaction Score
I tend to like the term "bull-pucky" in this situation.:D

I would say horse-feathers to be politically correct. But it is just noise right now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I’m not suggesting that Evina’s comments were appropriate. I’m saying she did not call for Holly to be fired. Young people sometimes make mistakes. One of the greatest benefits that Evina will receive at UConn has nothing to do with basketball. Geno, CD and her teammates will all help her grow as an individual to be a good person, capable of sound judgement and thoughtful responses to dumb questions from reporters.

Reaction Score

I took that as meaning that steps had to be taken by the staff to address whatever problem was occurring off the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't believe for a second that the kid's distraught mumblings in the locker room had anything to do with Holly's dismissal.
Nor due I.
Your opinion on this is very old school. Would your opinion be the same in the case of an abusive coaching staff?
Absolutely. The players would/should report the abuse. Hopefully the administration does the right thing and removes the coach. If the Administration does not do the right thing then the Student and the parents must leave. Abuse far different than bad coaching though.
See, I believe it is very much the players' business about the quality of the coaching staff, because many of them are there looking to get coached up and made ready for a professional career. They weren't recruited to get crummy coaching and an endless parade of assistant coach changes.
You can't have it both ways. A coaches ability should be factored into the decision to attend a University in the first place. So these "kids" are supposed to know when they are being poorly coached and the same kid becomes "distraught" after a tough game and can't be held accountable for an answer that they gave.
Evina had plenty of help making her college choice. Holly was not suddenly going to become a better (adequate?) coach once Evina arrived in Knoxville. The double digit losses by the Lady Vols in the two years before Evina arrived on the Knoxville campus should have spoke volumes.
"Made ready for a professional career" ? You got to be kidding me! Yea, that list of successful WNBA players who play at TN while Holly was the HC is so long and distinguished.
"They weren't recruited to get crummy coaching"? Now I'm confused, did Holly recruit these players or nah?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I took that as meaning that steps had to be taken by the staff to address whatever problem was occurring off the court.
There a tweet in the article from Jordan Crammer:

"Evina Westbrook got candid with us in post-game, said changes need to be made to the program off the court, specifically in the #LadyVols coaching staff.

In other tweets Jordan would also say that Evina was not the only Lady Vols player to share this opinion.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nor due I.

Absolutely. The players would/should report the abuse. Hopefully the administration does the right thing and removes the coach. If the Administration does not do the right thing then the Student and the parents must leave. Abuse far different than bad coaching though.

You can't have it both ways. A coaches ability should be factored into the decision to attend a University in the first place. So these "kids" are supposed to know when they are being poorly coached and the same kid becomes "distraught" after a tough game and can't be held accountable for an answer that they gave.
Evina had plenty of help making her college choice. Holly was not suddenly going to become a better (adequate?) coach once Evina arrived in Knoxville. The double digit losses by the Lady Vols in the two years before Evina arrived on the Knoxville campus should have spoke volumes.
"Made ready for a professional career" ? You got to be kidding me! Yea, that list of successful WNBA players who play at TN while Holly was the HC is so long and distinguished.
"They weren't recruited to get crummy coaching"? Now I'm confused, did Holly recruit these players or nah?

I believe our respective positions are now reasonably fully articulated. It would have been the wisest choice for Evina to say nothing and hit the chutes, in her own self interest. And I agree that kids who have signed up with Tenn in the last 4-5 years at least needed better advice and more homework. As far as "made ready for a pro career" I was referring generally to the HS 5 star grads who dare to dream and Tenn has been singing that song for a long, long time.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Kellie Jollie Harper she was one good PG for them her injury prior to the NC against UC may have cost them the NC.
I think you are thinking of another player, perhaps Ace Clements in 2000. Kellie played on three consecutive NC teams, from 1996 through 1998. In 1997, her return from injury turned the season around for UT, allowing them to beat a UConn team in the E8 that had recently been devastated by the loss of Shea Ralph. They went on to win the championship, despite having lost 10 games in the regular season. In 1999, UT was upset in the E8 by Duke. The 1998 team went 39-0, and should justifiably be "in the conversation" for greatest WCCB team of all time. A strong UConn team that year had little chance for an NC owing to the loss of Nykesha Sales late in the season.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I lurk but don’t post. But I felt the need to say, I have watched Evina’s games at Tennessee. She is a special talent and up to this point received no real coaching in college. I am excited to see what she can do with Geno and CD’s guidance.
Well, you've got a pretty good likes to messages ratio going. I urge you to post more.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There was a comment on Volnation that the decision to fire HW was made before the Westbrook interview by the AD Fullmer. HW protested because she wanted to work with the new players and bring in a new staff. So, it seems Westbrook's comments did not carry as much weight as many people think they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom