Evina Westbrook Signed by Washington Mystics | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evina Westbrook Signed by Washington Mystics

Reaction Score
Great for E that she keeps getting picked up, but what in the Hell kind of magic does Hull have to be kept on a roster for the season? C'mon now...she's wearing out the wood on the bench while players like Dangerfield, Westbrook, Cunane keep getting thrown around the league. The W is a mess.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it looks like Evina’s contract is a seven day contract per several sources on twitter. Supposedly coach Mike wants to keep the roster flexible. This is crazy stuff. Hopefully Evina impresses big time!
Yeah its a 7 day I wonder what people will think of Coach T by next Monday ....Or actually this Friday or Saturday as that is the cut off date for guaranteed contracts that ARE NOT 7 day contracts.

Reaction Score
The Mystic did release a player last week. If she impresses, she could stick.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Evina needs to shoot when she is open - she did the same sort of thing at Uconn last year, passing up open shots. 24 second shot clock and better defense every night in the W means open players need to take the shot and not faffle around. Not complaining about passing to a more open shot, or a better shot, and don't want forced shots, but Evina got gun shy somewhere along the way at Uconn and has carried that into her pro career.

Hope some overseas exposure where US players are expected to be primary scorers might cure her.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Mystic did release a player last week. If she impresses, she could stick.
Apparently, besides a Hardship contract there are Extensions, Free Agents, And Entry Level contracts. I assume she has an Entry Level contract. Perhaps someone knows for sure besides E.

Unfortunately it looks like Evina’s contract is a seven day contract per several sources on twitter. Supposedly coach Mike wants to keep the roster flexible. This is crazy stuff. Hopefully Evina impresses big time!

Richard Cohen, who follows contracts on a pretty thorough basis, wrote about the flurry of waivers last week and subsequent pick-ups this week.

"The league has reduced the waiver period around the midpoint to 24 hours this year, so the deadline to cut players in order for them to clear waivers in time is Friday, June 24, at 5 p.m. ET. Expect to see at least a few moves around the league as teams release players on the end of their benches to open up salary cap space and roster spots to try players out on seven-day contracts instead. Or just to avoid committing themselves to money for players that they don't think are worth it."

I suspect Evina and others in her position from here on it will be signed to 7-day contracts and hope to just keep renewing them.
BTW, Cohen thinks that Crystal could be resigned closer to July 4th after missing one game for the Liberty (if she is indeed resigned).
Stay tuned.

BTW, Evina is getting bounced around this year, but I remember Megan Gustafsson doing the same for a season (or two). What helped her? Getting reps in games overseas. Knock on wood for her, Gustafsson has stuck with Phoenix this season.

Reaction Score
Richard Cohen, who follows contracts on a pretty thorough basis, wrote about the flurry of waivers last week and subsequent pick-ups this week.

"The league has reduced the waiver period around the midpoint to 24 hours this year, so the deadline to cut players in order for them to clear waivers in time is Friday, June 24, at 5 p.m. ET. Expect to see at least a few moves around the league as teams release players on the end of their benches to open up salary cap space and roster spots to try players out on seven-day contracts instead. Or just to avoid committing themselves to money for players that they don't think are worth it."

I suspect Evina and others in her position from here on it will be signed to 7-day contracts and hope to just keep renewing them.
BTW, Cohen thinks that Crystal could be resigned closer to July 4th after missing one game for the Liberty (if she is indeed resigned).
Stay tuned.

BTW, Evina is getting bounced around this year, but I remember Megan Gustafsson doing the same for a season (or two). What helped her? Getting reps in games overseas. Knock on wood for her, Gustafsson has stuck with Phoenix this season.
I read that a player can only have 3 seven day contracts for a team. Any more than that, she can do up to 3 seven day contracts for other teams too. This just seems a bit crazy to me, but the experience Evina gains with each team should help her in the future. Overseas will also be great experience. I saw a video where Evina was talking about interest in playing on the Mexican Olympic team too. It seems there is mutual interest.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I read that a player can only have 3 seven day contracts for a team. Any more than that, she can do up to 3 seven day contracts for other teams too. This just seems a bit crazy to me, but the experience Evina gains with each team should help her in the future. Overseas will also be great experience. I saw a video where Evina was talking about interest in playing on the Mexican Olympic team too. It seems there is mutual interest.
Does Evina have a Mexican Connection?

Reaction Score
At least she is playing and getting experience. She is a WNBA player now, no matter what type of contract(s) she has or had. No one can take that away from her. If she ever gets real consistency with her 3 ball and pull up she will have a long career barring injury. Her defense, determination and court sense are high level.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Washington playing Atl on ESPN2 7PM. Washington up 32-20 after 1Q. I guess it is too soon to think Evina will play in the game

It looks like the lights have come on for Naz Hillman

Reaction Score
I learned a lot about judging too quick with Evina. Unpopular here on the Yard, but I had my apprehensions about her coming to UConn. Worried about fit, etc.

I had nothing to worry about! Turned out to be one of my favorites!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This young woman has had an incredible 3 months. I'm happy she's getting another opportunity.

Reaction Score
Looks like Evina has been signed by Washington for a second 7 day contract. Hopefully she can get some playing time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom