EVINA IS COMING BACK! [Merged Thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

EVINA IS COMING BACK! [Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
if she stays healthy this summer, I suspect next year, we may see the offensive threat she was at that gaudy orange school
Maybe, her decision makes me think that she fully expects to be better next year, further removed from her surgery. Many players don't fully recover until the second season. Her minutes could go down, but if she clearly is better due to being fully recovered it could still help her draft position.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
if she stays healthy this summer, I suspect next year, we may see the offensive threat she was at that gaudy orange school
I wish that could be true, but if we believe Shea Evina's knee surgery means she will always be managing her knees to keep them serviceable. That's something I didn't think she'd pull off this year. But pull it off she did. If we have the Evina we did this year that is good enough for me.

Reaction Score
I hope that is the case.
The '99-'00 National Championship team had TEN players who played double digit minutes per game, NONE played even 30 mins per game: Svetlana Abrosimova 28.4; Sue Bird 28.4; Swin Cash 20.7; Stacy Hansmeyer 10.6; Kennitra Johnson 22.3; Asjha Jones 17.5; Shea Ralph 28.4; Paige Sauer 11.5; Kelly Schumacher 15.6; and Tamika Williams 16.4. I do not believe Geno has had a team with ten players who played double digit minutes per game since that season. I believe all except for Kennitra Johnson played at least one season in the W. That was a deep team. Next year's team should challenge that record. (Source '00-'01 Media Guide , which had the number of games played and minutes for each player for that season).

Reaction Score
great that Evina is coming back. Uconn needs to start having a deeper rotation and a higher energy brand of basketball that keeps up high defensive pressure for 40 minutes. Evina will be part of that. Geno can also pull people out if they do not show courage. I look forward to a great season starting In the fall.

Reaction Score
I'm really shocked to read this but pleasantly so.............I have to believe she feels she missed out on playing in front of the roaring home crowds and more importantly lifting that NC trophy...........next year's team will have the additional size, scoring and experience to make that a distinct possibility......

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What exceptional news!!!!!!!!

I felt all along Evina would come back. I believe she really enjoyed playing this season. You could see those smiles during games. And she had the biggest smile when holding the Big East tourney trophy.

Character and leadership!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My guess is that they discussed every option after the season and worked out what was best for Evina
ESPN has E going in the top five of the draft. She will not do better than that next year, and may be challenged to even do as well. This isn’t about Westbrook staying school because she doesn’t have options. She does, very good ones. This is about Westbrook, who will be 23 next year, making the decision to play at UConn in a non-Covid environment and compete for a championship. She has my respect.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
her decision makes me think that she fully expects to be better next year
I like all the positive speculations about her coming back, and I think there's truth in all of them.

But on a very practical level this would make a lot of sense as her core reason and it bodes well for us. She's back because she wants to be here, sure. But also because she believes she is healing well and will have another quality year to enhance her value. This will be huge because I think despite all the praise she may have been the most under-rated player for UConn this year and I don't care if all the Freshman shine and all the Sophomores improve: an even stronger and more solid Evina Westbrook would be SuperGlue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom