Everyone's Mad Right? Ok, Say Ollie goes at some point.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Everyone's Mad Right? Ok, Say Ollie goes at some point....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Fair enough but is Omar ahead of expectations? As we said a nice piece when he scores but he couldn't even find a shot last night on his own when we needed someone else. Great rebound for a hoop but we need more of him, instant offense stuff. And he's not that unless others are. Like where he is, but 2 games in a row very little.
I had 0 expectations. :)

Reaction Score
No, it isn't. That happened literally one time, and if you recall, it was after one of the most embarrassing and inexplicable losses in program history.
I was clearly using the most extreme example. Go back and see when UConn was most highly regarded nationally. Then ask yourself, how many times did NBA prospects have to come back because of poor play. This is no silver lining. UConn, as a national brand, is far better off by consistently getting guys into the NBA.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Id like to throw my hat into the mix as the lead coach on fouling. Ill show you how to properly undercut a beotch, how to step on a guys foot when attempting to rebound, how to use your hips to incur damage to your opponent and most importantly how to foul with purpose when it counts. Maybe after a few years under my belt ill be able to pull off the "Leatner Stomp".

Reaction Score
Fair enough but is Omar ahead of expectations? As we said a nice piece when he scores but he couldn't even find a shot last night on his own when we needed someone else. Great rebound for a hoop but we need more of him, instant offense stuff. And he's not that unless others are. Like where he is, but 2 games in a row very little.

Omar is shooting 47% from the field, 43% from 3 and matching or exceeding his per 40 numbers from Freshman year in almost every category. If that doesn't exceed your expectations after the past 2 seasons, I'm not sure what you were expecting. I swear, it seems like some people won't be happy until the entire team is made up of All-Americans.

Reaction Score
Omar is shooting 47% from the field, 43% from 3 and matching or exceeding his per 40 numbers from Freshman year in almost every category. If that doesn't exceed your expectations after the past 2 seasons, I'm not sure what you were expecting. I swear, it seems like some people won't be happy until the entire team is made up of All-Americans.

Don't need All Americans but need people to be the player expected when they get in the game consistently. He's played great and shot great, stats are good. But what is he supposed to do? Score

Last 2 games 29 minutes, 4 shots - 6 pts. What's his job? Score right? shoot the ball. He needs to get shots off, that's his job. He had 2-3 games where he played well, got on the scouting report and now he needs to find a way because they are paying attention. He hasn't the last 2.

Don't get me wrong he exceeds expectations once in a while, then he doesn't. He's not in there to defend, although he's been better but gets beat off the dribble a lot. He's in there to score, he needs to get more than 4 shots off in 29 minutes. I know John Gwynn would have.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't need All Americans but need people to be the player expected when they get in the game consistently. He's played great and shot great, stats are good. But what is he supposed to do? Score

Last 2 games 29 minutes, 4 shots - 6 pts. What's his job? Score right? shoot the ball. He needs to get shots off, that's his job. He had 2-3 games where he played well, got on the scouting report and now he needs to find a way because they are paying attention. He hasn't the last 2.

Don't get me wrong he exceeds expectations once in a while, then he doesn't. He's not in there to defend, although he's been better but gets beat off the dribble a lot. He's in there to score, he needs to get more than 4 shots off in 29 minutes. I know John Gwynn would have.

I personally think his job has transitioned to being a solid fillin D and rebound guy from the perimeter. Also, to add some all around variety to the offense. Scoring bursts are a luxury with Omar, he just needs to be a semi respected option on O.

Reaction Score
Nobody saying he is, but I'm sorry, this guy isn't the coach most think he is, guess we'll see. More and more these games are becoming a habit, routine, what ever, not a WTF LOSS.. UCONN or any other program has never won a thing with a dribble happy team that has not got a clue on how to run any set plays, but yeah I'm psyched, let's go win a NC.

There's too much logic and not enough blind homerism for a post like this to get any kind of traction. Most people on here are still under the impression that Gibbs is some megastud PG/leader who spent the last 2 years dishing like 7 apg for 2 really good Seton Hall teams.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Listen up faces. Kevin Ollie isn't going anywhere ... and if you want him to, you should probably be given a swirly.

This is a guy in his 4th year of coaching at a major level. He has a .689 winning percentage. He has a national championship. He is pulling in stud recruits.

Maybe he's having a bit of a lapse as he's presumably still learning the ropes. I seem to remember another Hall of Fame coach losing to teams like St Bonaventure and Rutgers. Oh but Kevin's not living up to the expectations of some sad crusty sack on an internet message board. Let's ask Tom Izzo if Kevin is living up to expectations. Or Billy Donovan. Or Jay Wright. Or John Vincent Calipari. They'd probably wish Kevin Ollie didn't walk into their lives as their teams got teabagged by our '14 championship team.

But you know what, you're right. Let's get rid of that guy.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Nobody gets a scholarship ever again unless they're the son of Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier. Note I said and, not or. That might appease the angry rabble tonight.

Son of Kemba and Shabazz? Pretty sure that's not possible.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If Ollie goes I fear we are done

I think losing KO would be a disaster. I support him even if I don't agree with everything he does. I didn't agree with everything Calhoun did as well, but you take the bad with the great with these guys.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Mau, I think the last 2 games are still a touch above what I expected from Omar. The rest of the season has definitely exceeded expectations. I didn't expect John Gwynn

Reaction Score
Mau, I think the last 2 games are still a touch above what I expected from Omar. The rest of the season has definitely exceeded expectations. I didn't expect John Gwynn

That's cool, I disagree though. He showed he can score again, so to me you need to get more than 4 shots off in 29 minutes since that's your focus coming in. But that's just me. He had numerous passes to him with a look at a 3 and elected to ball fake and do little with it. Needs to be "shooting" ready at all times, after all he's a shooter!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's cool, I disagree though. He showed he can score again, so to me you need to get more than 4 shots off in 29 minutes since that's your focus coming in. But that's just me. He had numerous passes to him with a look at a 3 and elected to ball fake and do little with it. Needs to be "shooting" ready at all times, after all he's a shooter!

Hahahaha everybody on the team does this. Never thought I'd say it but we need a chucker.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Hahahaha everybody on the team does this. Never thought I'd say it but we need a chucker.

In hindsight do you not just love Rashad? You'd constantly be yelling at him through the TV when he was here but I still miss him to this day.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't think a single person has said they want him fired. I think the majority have accepted the fact that he needs time to grow as a coach. I know he's a great recruiter, I know he loves UConn, I'm not worried about him leaving, especially not in the immediate future :), I just think he needs time to find his game.

When I look back at JC's career, Northeastern was not very good for something like his first 6 years in coaching. Everything after that is legendary.

K? same thing.

Dean Smith? ditto

John Wooden? nothing remarkable to begin with, didn't win a championship until his 16th or 18th season

it's hard to replace a legend, we all feared that for at least a decade, but KO had a remarkable start and we may have become a tad bit delusional

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The Temple game pi$$ed me off quite a bit. Over the past couple of days however I started thinking about other games in past seasons that pissed me off 9there have been quite a few). My conclusion was that I have to go back to ~ 1985 to find a season where I wasn't pi$$ed at some point during the season and that was because I had become so numb to the product that getting pi$$ed was not worth the effort.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Listen up faces. Kevin Ollie isn't going anywhere ... and if you want him to, you should probably be given a swirly.

This is a guy in his 4th year of coaching at a major level. He has a .689 winning percentage. He has a national championship. He is pulling in stud recruits.

Maybe he's having a bit of a lapse as he's presumably still learning the ropes. I seem to remember another Hall of Fame coach losing to teams like St Bonaventure and Rutgers. Oh but Kevin's not living up to the expectations of some sad crusty sack on an internet message board. Let's ask Tom Izzo if Kevin is living up to expectations. Or Billy Donovan. Or Jay Wright. Or John Vincent Calipari. They'd probably wish Kevin Ollie didn't walk into their lives as their teams got teabagged by our '14 championship team.

THIS. Ollie is still learning the college game, he's done more than anyone could have thought in his time here so far... it seems like winning the NC so early was a bad thing... we have high expectations as we should but people need to put away the pitchforks for a long time... Ollie will and should be here for a long time

Reaction Score

Dickfaces? What are we 12? You can't debate with someone without resorting to childish names? KO did a magical job in the 14 NCAA Tourney and has started to recruit very well. With that said, we've witnessed a lot of head scratchers the past year and a half, including what at times has been a disengaged and somewhat clueless coach. It's not out of line after a very bad home loss for people to at least raise the discussion about whether he's the right guy to lead the program longterm. Kids love him, academics are improved, and he carries himself with a lot of class. From a character standpoint, this is absolutely the type of guy we want leading the program the next twenty years. Like in any other career though, performance is what ultimately dictates that. I don't think it's unreasonable to put the odds at 50/50 that he's the guy for many years to come.

Reaction Score
THIS. Ollie is still learning the college game, he's done more than anyone could have thought in his time here so far... it seems like winning the NC so early was a bad thing... we have high expectations as we should but people need to put away the pitchforks for a long time... Ollie will and should be here for a long time
I agree except winning the NC gave Coach more rope. Had we lost that ST Joes game there would be louder rumblings by now. And we might not have quite as strong a 2016 recruiting class. Tonite's game will show what kind of fight is in these dogs. Not a must win but close.
Still think Ollie is the man for the job. Who else could bring in the class we have coming in next year? I bleed blue but scratch my head as to why a top recruit would want to play in the AAC

intlzncster

Reaction Score
In hindsight do you not just love Rashad? You'd constantly be yelling at him through the TV when he was here but I still miss him to this day.

True. But I never complained when he jacked one. Always a heat check and I was cool with it. Especially at the end of games. "Give it to Rashad. Give it to Rashad!"

intlzncster

Reaction Score

And realistically, who the duckck would you replace him with? Exclude HOF lifers, and I can't think of anybody. Sean Miller? Eh, I'm happy with Ollie, especially as he continues to get us together the next few years.

His job in navigating us out of the muck since 2011 has been phenomenal.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I agree except winning the NC gave Coach more rope. Had we lost that ST Joes game there would be louder rumblings by now. And we might not have quite as strong a 2016 recruiting class. Tonite's game will show what kind of fight is in these dogs. Not a must win but close.
Still think Ollie is the man for the job. Who else could bring in the class we have coming in next year? I bleed blue but scratch my head as to why a top recruit would want to play in the AAC
Bc of our tradition, alumni, our coach and fans, the tournaments and OOC games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky