Everyone at UCONN involved with FB needs to read this | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Everyone at UCONN involved with FB needs to read this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I meant across sports in general, not Rentschler specifically.

But in East Hartford We'd sell out a bigger building for 5-6 Big 10 teams we'd see on average one or two a year.

Maryland was just here.... didn't
really need any excess capacity that day. Rutgers?

The risk of being in the Big 10 is that UConn has an Indiana level program and you wouldn't need the 40k capacity that exists now if they go 4-8 every year.

I agree though - build it and see what happens - the state is already a fiscal nightmare what's a few hundy million more.

Unfortunately you need to draw from the opponent's alumni base, which I think makes the B1G a better draw than the ACC. The schools that have football cachet in the ACC (Clemson/FSU/Miami) are not heavily attended by NE folk (maybe Miami to some extent). Lots of Duke/UNC alums around but they aren't big on football really.

Reaction Score
Exactly. There aren't enough fans. End of story.

The fans r there, but this is CT and we ALL know we have the biggest "Fair weather fan base" in the history of sports! Give them a reason to come back, like a hot conference and some solid wins and the will!!! We started off pretty strong here in CT but look what drove the fans away.... We can fix that if we r committed and have a solid future in a good conference. Build it and they will come!!!!

Reaction Score
My point is this.... We really don't have any right to charge a $1500 seat donation prior to buying 4 chairback seats to the casual fan based on our performance and conference situation. As a result, most of our games look empty and generally like to those watching our game on tv. We need to make these events more accessable to the family of 4+ so that we can build our fan base to where we need it when we get into the B1G. Then we can jack the and people will then b able to justify paying large prices to see B!G time schools over Tulane and Memphis.

If you charged $0 donation for the chairbacks all you would do is lose revenue and move people from benches to chairbacks that already buy tickets. There are a LOT of reasons you don't get the family of four and while price is part of it, youth sports / other activities / interest are by far the larger factors. I have two sons. One comes to every game and the other wouldn't come if you paid him. Which means my wife doesn't come anymore because she stays home with him. So I have two empty seats for most games.

Mathematically - the only time you need to reduce the donations on the benches or chairbacks is when you've sold out the non-donation seats. And we don't do that.

Reaction Score
The fans r there, but this is CT and we ALL know we have the biggest "Fair weather fan base" in the history of sports! Give them a reason to come back, like a hot conference and some solid wins and the will!!! We started off pretty strong here in CT but look what drove the fans away.... We can fix that if we r committed and have a solid future in a good conference. Build it and they will come!!!!

Diaco has the entire school on his back at this point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know, I really appreciate this thread. I have had discussions about the high ticket prices before with posters like Whaler and such, and we're clearly on the same side of that issue. But I didn't realize that the majority of this board feels "brutalized" by the high prices. I felt bad in a way that I am a "3 game package" guy instead of a season ticket guy, because I have a one-income family. And as most of you know, I would remove a testicle for this school.

Consider this: We are the most fanatical of all the UConn Husky fans by about 1,000x! If we have a hard time stomaching the ticket prices, how on earth are we supposed to draw the casual fan?!? How on earth are we supposed to draw the family of 4, where the two kids grow up even more passionate about the team and school than their parents were?!?

This is the short-sighted behavior that will crush us over the long term as a program. I hope that someone from the administration is lurking...
Please consider using this quote under your avatar:

"I would remove a testicle for this school."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
C'mon Whaler... Tell me that you don't remember the 85-86 Adams Division playoffs here in Hartford??? You could not GIVE Whaler tix away that year until the Whale went on a SICK run starting in March and created "Whaler Mania!!" When we Bit*h slapped the Div Champs in the Nordiques that year in the first round. This was much like the 95' Lady Husky run as well as our NIT run which started this party back in the late 80's! These events changed the dynamic of fan support in this fair weather fan base here in CT!! At that point the Whale only really sold out when the Bruins/Rangers/Maybe the Isles and Flyers came to town depending on the day of the week. That run created a desire for access to see the winner that was the Whale, who was always the underdog until that time. We all know what happened with Claude "" Lemieux in double OT of game 7 at the Forum so lets move on. Anyway, It created a hype that everyone here in CT wanted to be a part of. I will admit that I was truly Blessed as a child, to be in a position where my family owned season tix from start to finish of the Whaler years here in CT. However, I STILL slept out for playoff tickets for both the Nordiques series as well as the Canadiens series that year! Why was that? Because I wanted to be part of the hype and be part of something special. I ended up selling those tix for face value to friends who wanted to go and those days were some of the last times the Civic Center shook to its core during an event due to the fan excitement. Long story short, make the tix affordable now and enjoy the return on investment when we get out of this $how of a conference and those people who enjoyed their experience prior, will be willing to anti up down the road. My point is this.... We really don't have any right to charge a $1500 seat donation prior to buying 4 chairback seats to the casual fan based on our performance and conference situation. As a result, most of our games look empty and generally like to those watching our game on tv. We need to make these events more accessable to the family of 4+ so that we can build our fan base to where we need it when we get into the B1G. Then we can jack the and people will then b able to justify paying large prices to see B!G time schools over Tulane and Memphis.

?

I think they should decrease season tickets and really try to move them. I think going to games is a habit and it's more likely someone with season tickets gets into the habit of going.

Based on my and other's inability to give away free tickets, there is a chance it doesn't move the needed much and all you end up doing is decreasing your revenue because the people that were already buying are paying less.

The Big 10 obviously would be great but I don't see it as automatic sellouts in an expanded stadium. Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State sure. Nebraska and Wisconsin sure but how often would you see them in a 16-18 team league with a geographic split? Once every 4 years?

Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern... they aren't selling tickets if UConn is 4-8 consistently. Virginia? Kansas?

Look at some of the Big 10 schedules this year and that is at 14. You get to 16-18 and they become even shallower.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There are a LOT of reasons you don't get the family of four and while price is part of it, youth sports / other activities / interest are by far the larger factors.

I completely disagree with this statement. If you think that the average casual fan (and I emphasize "casual", and not the type that are willing to lose cojones) is going to be willing to eat around $200 to bring his wife and two kids to a game EVERY game, then you're kidding yourself. (ticket prices + parking + concessions and MAYBE a Husky souvenir)

Price is the largest factor of all the factors that you've listed for the casual fan. The real question is how much lower the prices would need to be in order to draw them in, and I don't have an answer to that...

Reaction Score
It's my best post because I've set the bar very low in the past. That, and I also offered to give a testicle to UConn... :confused:

Ha! Not really ur best, I was exaggerating. Youve been the voice of sanity on many occasions over the years, I just liked ur reply.

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
I completely disagree with this statement. If you think that the average casual fan (and I emphasize "casual", and not the type that are willing to lose cojones) is going to be willing to eat around $200 to bring his wife and two kids to a game EVERY game, then you're kidding yourself. (ticket prices + parking + concessions and MAYBE a Husky souvenir) Price is the largest factor of all the factors that you've listed for the casual fan. The real question is how much lower the prices would need to be in order to draw them in, and I don't have an answer to that...

Casual fans wouldn't make the whole schedule if it was free, unless it is part of meeting up with a larger crew with the football being secondary. And yes, as price goes up it is less likely, since they are also dragging along wives and kids that half the time don't really want to be there.

It isn't price. It is price/time/opportunity cost/value. Value has gone down. Price has stayed the same or gone up (parking). The opportunity cost equation has gone way down. So they don't come.

There is no way to move price down low enough to compensate for the other issues for the casual fan. It would literally take "free beer" to make it work.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Casual fans wouldn't make the whole schedule if it was free, unless it is part of meeting up with a larger crew with the football being secondary. And yes, as price goes up it is less likely, since they are also dragging along wives and kids that half the time don't really want to be there.

It isn't price. It is price/time/opportunity cost/value. Value has gone down. Price has stayed the same or gone up (parking). The opportunity cost equation has gone way down. So they don't come.

There is no way to move price down low enough to compensate for the other issues for the casual fan. It would literally take "free beer" to make it work.

I would argue that we don't need the casual fan to come to every game. We just need more of them to come to more games than they are currently coming to, and that won't happen at current prices.

I would argue that if we found the price that maximized sell-outs instead of the price that maximized profits, we would do much better in the long-term. Michigan has a program. Ohio State has a program. We are building a program. There is a gigantic difference there. And the difference is that we haven't had the opportunity yet to generate multiple-generation fans, where coming to the games is as natural to the greater community as breathing air. But that happens by getting as many butts in the stands and creating as much of a lively environment as possible. There is a price where that can happen, and we aren't there...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
I would argue that we don't need the casual fan to come to every game. We just need more of them to come to more games than they are currently coming to, and that won't happen at current prices. I would argue that if we found the price that maximized sell-outs instead of the price that maximized profits, we would do much better in the long-term. Michigan has a program. Ohio State has a program. We are building a program. There is a gigantic difference there. And the difference is that we haven't had the opportunity yet to generate multiple-generation fans, where coming to the games is as natural to the greater community as breathing air. But that happens by getting as many butts in the stands and creating as much of a lively environment as possible. There is a price where that can happen, and we aren't there...

I kind of agree. But we had them. And they left. And it wasn't price that drove them away. Low prices might bring some new faces, but the product needs to be fixed. I want those fans back.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I kind of agree. But we had them. And they left. And it wasn't price that drove them away. Low prices might bring some new faces, but the product needs to be fixed. I want those fans back.

We really didn't have them to the extent you might think. All those early announced sell-outs were bogus. The chairbacks were never close to sold-out, but they were listed as sell-outs because they never went up for single game sale. Perkins botched the roll-out terribly.

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
We really didn't have them to the extent you might think. All those early announced sell-outs were bogus. The chairbacks were never close to sold-out, but they were listed as sell-outs because they never went up for single game sale. Perkins botched the roll-out terribly.

Tell me you wouldn't kill for those crowds for the 2014 season.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed at games compared to other schools is lack of fan involvement such as homemade signs. Why is that? Is there a rule against bringing signs (that are appropriate obviously)?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed at games compared to other schools is lack of fan involvement such as homemade signs. Why is that? Is there a rule against bringing signs (that are appropriate obviously)?

Yes. No signs or flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc