"Everybody's got lawyers looking at re-openers and all kinds of things." | The Boneyard

"Everybody's got lawyers looking at re-openers and all kinds of things."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"UConn athletic director Warde Manuel, who cast the vote on behalf of the AAC, said the school was 100 percent in line with the conference."

Interesting. Why would the AAC vote against this proposal when the Big 12 not expanding would mean more stability for the American?

I've been trying to figure out that vote since the news broke yesterday. Even thought Warde might've gone rogue lol

Reaction Score
At least half the league wants to go to the Big 12
I guess that has to be why, but realistically there's only 4 or 5 teams with any chance of being picked up (UConn, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, maybe one of the Florida schools) and I would've expected the others to vote for stability.

Reaction Score
I think people have lost sight at just how much of a longshot this was and how impressive it is that we got to the Big 12's doorstep.

Until Boren over at OU started making waves about 8-10 months ago, there was no indication that the Big 12 was interested in expanding. Additionally, all the public statements that the conference had put out even heading into the vote yesterday was that they did not want to be forced to expand and wanted to hold their title game at 10 teams.

Even after people started talking about expansion, UConn was rarely mentioned. You had BYU and Cincy, then Cincy and UCF and Cincy and Houston. All logical choices based on football pedigree and geographical/cultural reasons.

I would even say that 90% of us here never fully expected to be in the conversation for Big 12 expansion.

Then when suddenly expansion seemed to be a real possibility UConn jumped right into the conversation thanks in large part to the mobilization of the fanbase and journalists publicly and the actions and maneuvering of the administration behind the scenes.

We are a much stronger position today than we were 12, 6 or even 3 months ago and I personally believe you don't get to the doorstep like this and take your foot off the gas.

President Herbst is going to get some sort of victory out of this situation. Best cased scenario it's networking with OU and WV to somehow get a Big 12 invite, at the least it's maybe getting our tier 3 TV rights back (which is what I am reading as "re-openers").

Either way as evident by Boren's comments and Herbst here, I don't think the dust has settled from this vote by a long shot.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
"UConn athletic director Warde Manuel, who cast the vote on behalf of the AAC, said the school was 100 percent in line with the conference."

Interesting. Why would the AAC vote against this proposal when the Big 12 not expanding would mean more stability for the American?

I've been trying to figure out that vote since the news broke yesterday. Even thought Warde might've gone rogue lol

I think it's literally along the lines of what he said. We've made decisions based on everyone needing 12 for a conference title game. Why should the B12 be any different... meaning: "You f--kers forced us to take Tulsa and Tulane, why are you so special!" I'm pretty sure ESPN wasn't paying any extra because we picked up the Tulsa market.

Reaction Score
I think it's literally along the lines of what he said. We've made decisions based on everyone needing 12 for a conference title game. Why should the B12 be any different... meaning: "You f--kers forced us to take Tulsa and Tulane, why are you so special!" I'm pretty sure ESPN wasn't paying any extra because we picked up the Tulsa market.

100%

Reaction Score
Good point, but sour grapes don't help the AAC as a conference in this instance, so I still think the vote was strange

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think people have lost sight at just how much of a longshot this was and how impressive it is that we got to the Big 12's doorstep.

Until Boren over at OU started making waves about 8-10 months ago, there was no indication that the Big 12 was interested in expanding. Additionally, all the public statements that the conference had put out even heading into the vote yesterday was that they did not want to be forced to expand and wanted to hold their title game at 10 teams.

Even after people started talking about expansion, UConn was rarely mentioned. You had BYU and Cincy, then Cincy and UCF and Cincy and Houston. All logical choices based on football pedigree and geographical/cultural reasons.

I would even say that 90% of us here never fully expected to be in the conversation for Big 12 expansion.

Then when suddenly expansion seemed to be a real possibility UConn jumped right into the conversation thanks in large part to the mobilization of the fanbase and journalists publicly and the actions and maneuvering of the administration behind the scenes.

We are a much stronger position today than we were 12, 6 or even 3 months ago and I personally believe you don't get to the doorstep like this and take your foot off the gas.

President Herbst is going to get some sort of victory out of this situation. Best cased scenario it's networking with OU and WV to somehow get a Big 12 invite, at the least it's maybe getting our tier 3 TV rights back (which is what I am reading as "re-openers").

Either way as evident by Boren's comments and Herbst here, I don't think the dust has settled from this vote by a long shot.
I think the dust has settled for now, for Boren to get the B12 to do what he wants it to do will have to take a couple years.

But I concur with your assessment that UConn was on the outside as recently as last summer. I even wrote a post saying the UConn fanbase shouldn't delude themselves that we had a realistic shot at the B12. Berry Tramel's reporting thankfully put that to rest. Although - whether UConn would be choice 1A, 1B, 2A or 2B depends critically on whether the LHN can be transformed into the B12N which - who knows) But we saw the #UConn6thBorough campaign which is obviously a statement about NYC. Yeah, it's probably targeted more at the alumni than at B12 presidents, who would be receiving the information regardless. But it's a sign that the leadership is being proactive. Which is a little bit reassuring.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The takeaway is....she doesn't know what the Big 12 is going to do.

If they do nothing, we make the best of it.

Her comments about the cable industry are a bit odd; the changes in the cable industry are yet another boulder we'll have to push up the hill.

I have no idea why the AAC voted against the change, but I agree with the thinking. The Big East was originally raided so that the ACC could have a title game - that rule has caused havoc previously.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Her comments about the cable industry are a bit odd; the changes in the cable industry are yet another boulder we'll have to push up the hill.

I was hoping someone could decipher her quote about the cable industry.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was hoping someone could decipher her quote about the cable industry.

I think she was trying to reassure us by suggesting that the P5 would not continue to enjoy the advantage they currently do.

If so, she's batty.

Reaction Score
Good point, but sour grapes don't help the AAC as a conference in this instance, so I still think the vote was strange

By the time those votes were cast, I imagine all involved knew what the outcome would be. The "No" vote didn't cost the AAC or the ACC anything. Both were forced to go to 12 to get a championship game, why cave for the Big XII?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think she was trying to reassure us by suggesting that the P5 would not continue to enjoy the advantage they currently do.

If so, she's batty.

Maybe it is a reference to the AAC contract with ESPN. I know this board loves their "exposure", but $27MM a year in subsidies has to be causing some unrest on the Board of Trustees, since a big chunk of that is for a football program that draws 20-25k to a game. There has to be a better way to monetize UConn athletics than essentially handing it to ESPN for free. It sounds like Herbst is thinking outside the box on revenue. Good.

Reaction Score
Apparently Susan is not familiar with the BY.
"There's a lot more comfort and sophistication out there than you might think from reading some of the more hysterical stuff," Herbst said. "In my position, I talk to the biggest cross-section of faculty, staff, alum, donors than anybody … there's not a sad resignation."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"There's a lot more comfort and sophistication out there than you might think from reading some of the more hysterical stuff," Herbst said. "In my position, I talk to the biggest cross-section of faculty, staff, alum, donors than anybody … there's not a sad resignation."

She is perfectly familiar with the Boneyard.

I point you to the reference to the "more hysterical stuff."

I would also add that the people who are not hysterical are not paying attention. We're in the right here.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

If so, she's batty.
I'm probably reading between the lines by squinting so hard I see squiggles... but her quote on "all kinds of things" that I put in the thread title could be what? Aresco trying to renegotiate a few more bucks out of ESPN? UConn getting back some of their Tier3? Some schools figuring out how to run an end-around GORs?

Reaction Score

She better start reading the BY. This is the pulse of the fanbase, or at least the ones that really care. When BY stop caring, UCONN sports are in big trouble realignment or not. Conference affiliation is a big problem for UCONN right now and we need to address it ASAP. We all agree AAC is not the place we should be now or in the future.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
She better start reading the BY. This is the pulse of the fanbase, or at least the ones that really care. When BY stop caring, UCONN sports are in big trouble realignment or not. Conference affiliation is a big problem for UCONN right now and we need to address it ASAP. We all agree AAC is not the place we should be now or in the future.

Let's be clear, you think they aren't addressing it? Is Warde still sitting in the Virgin Islands "monitoring the situation" or however that story goes?

Reaction Score

What she is saying is similar to what she said after Louisville:

"I realize that this is aggravating to hear, but as in all things, we can only affect what is in our control. As a result, we strive for excellence at UConn daily across all departments, something very much in our control. We stand tall at UConn and we need not beg, plead, nor despair. That is not who we are, and my reading of our university history -- from 1881 to today -- conveys the pride of every generation, in good times and bad."

Reaction Score
I'm probably reading between the lines by squinting so hard I see squiggles... but her quote on "all kinds of things" that I put in the thread title could be what? Aresco trying to renegotiate a few more bucks out of ESPN? UConn getting back some of their Tier3? Some schools figuring out how to run an end-around GORs?

If I had to guess, "re-openers" probably refers to big TV's attempts to adjust previously negotiated future rights fees based on lower ratings, screaming advertisers and PO'd shareholders. It's not the first time. Won't be the last.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If I was working at ESPN, I would think that the four scariest competitors out there are Apple, Amazon, Netflix and direct to consumer.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks SH or WM needs to read the BY to understand we are not in an ideal conference is, well, um, challenged

My sense as t her comment on reaction is that while we all want a better conference, the B12 is 5th of the P5. In order, probably folks are near unanimous as to BIG, then ACC, then winning powerball (which is more likely than a PAC or SEC invite). The B12 was an opportunity, but it is not what she has been working towards these past few years.

The B12 still has an issue - they have a chafing member out east who is still clamoring for an eastern partner. The vote simply allows them to not rush in to expansion, but at some point they need expand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom