2020 Recruiting: - Etienne considering reclass | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Etienne considering reclass

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone can answer this question at the moment. We'd need 2 scholarships, with only 1 likely to be open that we're aware of.
This is true. Let me rephrase the question then. As @husky429 said, Etienne & Sanogo aren’t very comfortable on the perimeter. Considering Akok will likely be out all year, is that scholarship needed more for a guy like Bruner or Etienne? For me, it’s a Bruner-type player and it’s not really close.

Reaction Score
This is true. Let me rephrase the question then. As @husky429 said, Etienne & Sanogo aren’t very comfortable on the perimeter. Considering Akok will likely be out all year, is that scholarship needed more for a guy like Bruner or Etienne? For me, it’s a Bruner-type player and it’s not really close.
If a top 50/60 player in his class whose an in state player wants to come to play for you, you find a way to make it work, especially given the reports of the team recruiting for 2 spots.

Reaction Score
Fluid movement overall. However, in the first video, he has used his left only 1x. Doubt that will work in the NBE.

Reaction Score
I though Javonte was really mobile. Etienne definitely looks and moves like Joakim Noah. I’d love both. Still, Sanogo is a beast. I want him too.

You and bmayuc have my comparison here on the board a couple weeks ago. Reminds me of the Boone/Noah combo and that's a real nice thing. We have a guy right now who now almost deserves his name compared here too, Whaley. Some say he understands the hedge D already so he does fit perfectly into Dan's defensive focus. Interesting rumor.

Reaction Score
One year of Bruner versus four years of Etienne? You’d get a lot more “lifetime value” out of Etienne.

Reaction Score
People are assuming we could get the forward from Yale. Coach may know things we don’t.

I’m also concerned that a team that likes playing four guards would. Without Gilbert or a backcourt replacement , go into the season with only 4 guards

If Gilbert goes, the plan is to add another guard, as they agree that would be a need. Also, they can make four guards playing together work ok if needed- and Hurley has in the past at a high level- but it’s not the preference. It can be an option, but it’s not the primary plan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course there will be, because the staff is more rational than the boneyard after a 6 point 5 assist game. I was being rhetorical.

Does 6 and 5 mean he didn't play all that well to you?

pj

Reaction Score
One year of Bruner versus four years of Etienne? You’d get a lot more “lifetime value” out of Etienne.

Get both of them, supposing Carlton were to leave to open up a scholly. Etienne at the 5 with Javonte Brown Ferguson and Whaley, Bruner at the 4 with Whaley and small (Andre Jackson) while Akok rehabs, then Akok is back when Bruner leaves.

Reaction Score
Javonte Brown Ferguson looks pretty slow and with low motor at times. It's so hard to judge with the bad competition level though

I’ll admit I haven’t seen him outside of highlight videos, but I highly doubt Hurley would recruit a guy who’s slow with a low motor...

pj

Reaction Score
I’ll admit I haven’t seen him outside of highlight videos, but I highly doubt Hurley would recruit a guy who’s slow with a low motor...

Javonte Brown Ferguson has +++ length. His speed remains to be proven, but strength and conditioning can help there. Motor is something Hurley believes he can coach. Javonte Brown Ferguson is a high upside, but not zero risk, recruit. He also may not be ready as a freshman to take big minutes.

Reaction Score
Javonte Brown Ferguson has +++ length. His speed remains to be proven, but strength and conditioning can help there. Motor is something Hurley believes he can coach. Javonte Brown Ferguson is a high upside, but not zero risk, recruit. He also may not be ready as a freshman to take big minutes.

Fair enough. However I think it’s important to keep in mind that Hurley would not be recruiting guys he doesn’t think will help rebuild a championship culture.

pj

Reaction Score
Fair enough. However I think it’s important to keep in mind that Hurley would not be recruiting guys he doesn’t think will help rebuild a championship culture.

True - and I'm very high on Javonte Brown Ferguson, he's a potential impactful player along the lines of Hasheem Thabeet or Hilton Armstrong. Like Hilton, he has work to do coming in and is not a sure thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great shape here.

Cuse fans who love to lurk here...not happening for you guys. Again. Thank you for Jim Boeheim.

Hurley with that eye of the tiger

1582900921982.gif

Reaction Score
If neither Etienne or Sanogo reclassify UConn will have at a minimum - Whaley, Springs, and Javonte Brown Ferguson as bigs next year which is an improvement in depth and hopefully skills over just Whaley and Carlton this year. If Carlton stays that is even more depth. Also could get Akok back toward the end of the season.

If Carlton stays would Hurley try to sell Etienne on the benefits of redshirting and developing his body and skills for significant PT with the graduation of Whaley and Carlton in 2021?

Reaction Score
It was a very solid game, probably the best game he played this season.
Al is very valuable when he dishes or plays off the ball for open shots. He is brutal most times when trying to create his own shot. Our guys are getting to open spots which helped Al against UCF. Next up get Josh to pass the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom