OT: - ESPYs | The Boneyard

OT: ESPYs

Reaction Score
As soon as I saw Danica Patrick trying to deliver some funny stuff I stopped tuning in. What are they thinking?

Like watching the All Star game with Joe Buck talking to IFs and OFers alike while they’re playing. Sports TV is really lame these days.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
As soon as I saw Danica Patrick trying to deliver some funny stuff I stopped tuning in. What are they thinking?

Like watching the All Star game with Joe Buck talking to IFs and OFers alike while they’re playing. Sports TV is really lame these days.

The tiger woods and Ben Simmons jokes I saw on Twitter were funny.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thought the Arthur Ashe award was pretty amazing!
Was that the military guy and his disaster team? Would liked to have seen that.

Reaction Score
The tiger woods and Ben Simmons jokes I saw on Twitter were funny.

There was a LeBron hair transplant joke that didn't land in the room AT ALL but I thought was funny. And it was followed up by a JR Smith joke that killed.

The other 15 jokes were mostly misses.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There was a LeBron hair transplant joke that didn't land in the room AT ALL but I thought was funny. And it was followed up by a JR Smith joke that killed.

The other 15 jokes were mostly misses.

A lot of it's delivery. A pro like Bill Burr could have crushed that. He would have added some better jokes too of course.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Didn't even remember they were on. I watch a DVR of UFC from Saturday night.

Truth be told, I stopped even respecting the ESPY's when Jenner got the Ashe Award. It even taints the Jimmy V speech a little.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I liked it also. Hard to pay attention I bet. My best laugh. Machado playing SS. Batter gets up, hits a double. Stands on the bag. Here comes Machado over to second base, takes out his cell phone and takes a selfie with him...lol Looked like the players were having fun. The way an all star game should be.

Reaction Score
The ESPYs are not my thing, at all, and I would have preferred abstaining from them entirely if not for the fact that I was in a room with a TV and no place else to go. That said, I get the sense that they're very constrained in what they can do and I don't blame Danica at all for some of the disastrous skits they attempted (the repeated attempts to inject gender into the skits were especially cringe worthy, and I say that as someone who has no problem with that sort of thing if it works). She's not a professional comedian, obviously, but she has the right temperament to host and that alone is half the battle.

The emotional stories are candid and well delivered, but it just doesn't make for great TV. I could also do without being force fed the new "survivors" label or however they're referring to sexual assault victims these days. I get that they're attempting to empower people who have endured horrific atrocities and deserve to be commended for their courage, but it's way too transparent and comes across as hollow. The purpose of the word survivor is literally to convey something completely different than what this suggests.

Reaction Score
Didn't watch, but I like Danica. She's a trooper. While she may or may not have had some doors opened for her that wouldn't have for others...she's also had to face some stuff others probably haven't.
Seems to be a tough kid...and I like her. Not enough to watch the ESPYs...but hopefully she did OK.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
A lot of it's delivery. A pro like Bill Burr could have crushed that. He would have added some better jokes too of course.
Oh man, old Billy would be a great ESPYs host

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Doesn't taint it. Flat out disrespects it though.
Not trying to turn this into a cesspool thread, but how does it disrespect it? Jenner being a garbage human being aside, to come out at live openly as transgender when you're such a masculine figure in a sports world that is very much behind the times when it comes to LGBT acceptance took amazing courage and guts and is something I can be sure none of us dorks on TBY would have the courage to do.

Reaction Score
Not trying to turn this into a cesspool thread, but how does it disrespect it? Jenner being a garbage human being aside, to come out at live openly as transgender when you're such a masculine figure in a sports world that is very much behind the times when it comes to LGBT acceptance took amazing courage and guts and is something I can be sure none of us dorks on TBY would have the courage to do.

Handing out an award for courage in the first place is asking for a political fight. People have far different definitions of the word. Enduring cancer treatment isn't an act of courage, it's a brutal consequence of something out of your control. They are victims. Soldiers are victims. People who are sexually assaulted are victims. If Jenner had killed herself like a lot of trans people unfortunately do, she would be a victim, and in my mind, equally worthy of the award.

Attempting to quantify these things is very problematic, especially when they are enforced in diametrically different ways. Our instinct to personify cancer - treating it like a mortal enemy that needs to be destroyed or conquered - as something other than a faceless disease only promotes the sort of infighting that will ultimately destroy us.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
People have far different definitions of the word.

I'll say...

Enduring cancer treatment isn't an act of courage, it's a brutal consequence of something out of your control...

That may be, but maybe enduring cancer treatment was never under consideration as the example of courage. "The brutal consequence of something out of your control," as you put it, has a binary result. The example of courageousness in this hypothetical is what one does when/how one handles facing (near certain) death.

Reaction Score
I just cant believe you guys watch this ESPYs crap! No offense to anyone but BSPN has become unwatchable since every other news story is on someone with cancer or social injustice. We`ve all had loved ones who had to deal with this terrible disease or some sort of injustice and i dont know about you guys but i like to watch sports as an escape from all the crap going on in the world and its like tuning in to BSPN your reminded every 5 minutes of it. Its like man ffs! i just want to see some scores and highlights i dont need a buzz kill of some kid who died or is dying or another #metoo victim.

Reaction Score
I could also do without being force fed the new "survivors" label or however they're referring to sexual assault victims these days. I get that they're attempting to empower people who have endured horrific atrocities and deserve to be commended for their courage, but it's way too transparent and comes across as hollow. The purpose of the word survivor is literally to convey something completely different than what this suggests.

I made a similar comment to the fiancé about "Survivor" feeling forced/weird there. Interesting to see I wasn't the only one, as it didn't go over well when I mentioned.

Reaction Score
I just cant believe you guys watch this ESPYs crap! No offense to anyone but BSPN has become unwatchable since every other news story is on someone with cancer or social injustice. We`ve all had loved ones who had to deal with this terrible disease or some sort of injustice and i dont know about you guys but i like to watch sports as an escape from all the crap going on in the world and its like tuning in to BSPN your reminded every 5 minutes of it. Its like man ffs! i just want to see some scores and highlights i dont need a buzz kill of some kid who died or is dying or another #metoo victim.

You are so right about sports being an escape. I know many people who battled cancer that watched sports as a distraction of sorts. I like that sports is being used to help fund the battle but the unintended consequence of people facing that battle not being able to escape it, even for a couple of hours, kinda sucks. Maybe take the awareness and fund raising outside of the events themselves? The way they are doing it now feels like virtue and victim signaling and the current victims are being robbed of their ability to escape through something they love.

Another thing that turned me off was when one of the "survivors" had to drag race into an issue that has NOTHING to do with race.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom