ESPN's WAY too early next year's top 25 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN's WAY too early next year's top 25

Reaction Score
Other than Owusu, who is in the MD backcourt next year? Miller is good, but is a wing. Sellers impressed me, but not at an elite level. Who’s the transfer?
I suppose it depends on how you define backcourt. If backcourt is just "players that don't set up in the post," then it would be Owusu, Miller, Lavender Briggs (Florida transfer), Shyanne Sellers and maybe Abby Meyers.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't like the look of that top 25... especially when it comes to out neighborhood :oops:

Johnson was highly rated (just behind Azzi), but she’s coming off an injury and will be inexperienced. Can she get up to speed next year, while Boston is still there?

I was impressed by Rivers’ highlights, and she plays good defense and handles the ball well. But she’s an atrocious shooter. 3% from the arc. That’s not a misprint. How much can she improve her shooting and how fast?

Well if Rivers can get her percentage up to 6%.... that's marked improvement ;)

Reaction Score
I suppose it depends on how you define backcourt. If backcourt is just "players that don't set up in the post," then it would be Owusu, Miller, Lavender Briggs (Florida transfer), Shyanne Sellers and maybe Abby Meyers.
The Terp fans are pushing very hard for Abby Meyers and I think she is listening.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Terp fans are pushing very hard for Abby Meyers and I think she is listening.
College Park is close to home for her. And Brenda got Benzan from Harvard. I wouldn't be surprised.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I would exclude Miller, based on the original question about the UConn backcourt comprised of Paige and Azzi. Which of those other players, combined with Owusu, gives Maryland a top 2-3 pair of guards?

Reaction Score
I would exclude Miller, based on the original question about the UConn backcourt comprised of Paige and Azzi. Which of those other players, combined with Owusu, gives Maryland a top 2-3 pair of guards?
If the Terps are able to land Meyers, I would count Owusu and Meyers over the Notre Dame duo. They will have the experience advantage.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I am interested to see if Haley Jones pulls an Aliyah Boston in the offseason and decides to be the best player in the nation next year. She'll have great players around her (especially in the post) but I think she's the toughest matchup in the country if she wants to be.

Reaction Score
I am interested to see if Haley Jones pulls an Aliyah Boston in the offseason and decides to be the best player in the nation next year. She'll have great players around her (especially in the post) but I think she's the toughest matchup in the country if she wants to be.
If UCONN had her they win 2 championships. So it's not all about the centers.

Reaction Score
Until she gets a reliable outside jumper and fine-tunes her handle, her ceiling will be relatively limited. But her floor is very, very high.

Reaction Score
Every team is regrouping except SC and Standford. Clear top two teams early. I would consider us top two if we didn't lose two of our best defenders and so much unknown with Aubrey and uncertainty of Amari and Paith. Will Geno
Stay with playing the bench or go back to 6 players only.

Transfers will definitely make an impact on this early ranking list.

Glad to see that SEC isn't dominanting the top 25.

If you read the article Creme is confident that a red shirt freshman coming off an ACL can fill Henderson's role at pg. SCar needs to find a pg in the event that Johnson isn't ready to run the offense. SC is No 1 because of Boston.
Creme has a habit of making a case full of holes.

Reaction Score
ONO is going to be tough for you guys to replace. Dorka is not on her level as a defender or a passer. Williams was also your best two-way perimeter player. Azzi can replace her point production, but not sure about her defense.

My guess is that Raven Johnson, Saniya Rivers and the freshman Talaysia Cooper will be the 3 players that will see most duties at PG for SC next season. Rivers has shown that she has really nice court vision, but her shooting was atrocious this season.

ONO did a lot of good things except one, showing up in big games. She had 4 years to learn to shoot ft's and never did it. She leaves UConn looking too much like the player that arrived.

If Raven Johnson returns healthy from a torn ACL, Dawn Staley will also have her at point guard to replace Destanni Henderson.

Charlie assumes she's 100% and then assumes that a freshman can "replace" Henderson. Johnson could end up as freshman of the year but it's rare for a team to go into a season as No 1 without a starting pg.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Williams was also your best two-way perimeter player. Azzi can replace her point production, but not sure about her defense.

CW's defense was up and down as Geno publicly mentioned, and her offense was very poor against the best competition UConn faced. Fudd's a better defender when healthy, imo.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ONO did a lot of good things except one, showing up in big games. She had 4 years to learn to shoot ft's and never did it. She leaves UConn looking too much like the player that arrived.

Should be noted ONO's free throw percentage this year wasn't far behind CW's or EW's.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Why should 3 seniors' ft shooting even be a topic here?

I dunno. You brought ONO's up. I'm just pointing out that others were just about as poor. And it's not really accurate that ONO didn't improve from the line. She was 53% and 55% her first two years, 67% this year. Not good, but better.

Reaction Score
The roster already has six post players. Do you folks ever notice that when you start dreaming about the transfer portal? Besides, how much tougher can one get when Alijah is already there. My goodness gracious.
She had 2 rebounds in 38 minutes. Are you sure we can’t do better? Evina had 4 in only 19, against the same players.

Reaction Score
I dunno. You brought ONO's up. I'm just pointing out that others were just about as poor. And it's not really accurate that ONO didn't improve from the line. She was 53% and 55% her first two years, 67% this year. Not good, but better.

My comment wasn't clear. What I was trying to say was that by the time a UConn player is in her 4th season she should be an excellent ft shooter. If she isn't then it's because they choose not to practice it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
My comment wasn't clear. What I was trying to say was that by the time a UConn player is in her 4th season she should be an excellent ft shooter. If she isn't then it's because they choose not to practice it.

You sure about that?

Reaction Score
You sure about that?
They should be 70% in HS. I hate ft's. "The school figures of bb". I'd do away with them. There was no excuse for a UConn starter to shoot under 70%. It's a matter of putting in the time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
They should be 70% in HS. I hate ft's. "The school figures of bb". I'd do away with them. There was no excuse for a UConn starter to shoot under 70%. It's a matter of putting in the time.

Shaq and Wilt shot about a billion free throws and were never good at them. I don't think practice guarantees efficiency with this skill. Probably helps in many situations but not a sure thing.

Reaction Score
Shaq and Wilt shot about a billion free throws and were never good at them. I don't think practice guarantees efficiency with this skill. Probably helps in many situations but not a sure thing.
Exactly. Bad outside shooters don't become 70% foul shooters because they have ingrained bad shooting mechanics. You can practice bad mechanics all day but you're not getting any better.

Reaction Score
The roster already has six post players. Do you folks ever notice that when you start dreaming about the transfer portal? Besides, how much tougher can one get when Alijah is already there. My goodness gracious.
Totally agree. While the lack of rebounds was the major headline in the finals, most seem to ignore that UConn got shredded by drives from forwards and guards throughout the playoffs. I am equally concerned with Stanford's Haley Jones next year as Brink. Most focus on South Carolina's Boston but they are stacked at guard and forward. I can picture Dorka and Edwards guarding the bigs but wonder who out of the starters (we need to give Aubrey time to get back to the game) will stop the others.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Here's a quick comparison with what The Athletic posted yesterday. Interesting omissions on ESPN list and vice versa. Clearly these lists were made without any of the transfers announced in last 24 hrs (MD)

1649254847174.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom