ESPN's "Way too early 2018/2019 Top 25" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN's "Way too early 2018/2019 Top 25"

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think that's a fair place for South Carolina to start. I think 15-25 is probably the low end expectation for the team. I think USC could finish anywhere from 1-6 in the SEC next league. Just remains to be seen what additions Dawn makes, what kind of progress the team makes over the summer, and how they want to play.

I think the SEC will be a scrum next season. I don't see an elite team, but I see a lot of pretty talented teams that will defend and may have good enough stars to beat you on a given night.

Missouri is probably fairly ranked, though I think their talent level is Sweet 16 level. They play hard and physical and Cunningham is good, but not sure there is much beyond that. I assume the PG is gone, which I think is a problem. Not sure how they will replace her, but maybe they have stuff coming in.

Tennessee certainly on paper could be that good, but they would need the weakness of their team become the strength and at this point I don't see any reason why you would expect Warlick to get the most out of the talent. Maybe she will yet, but its definitely show me time.

I think Miss State takes a bigger step back than that. I think they will probably still be good because they have some players and McCowan is a weapon of sorts. They have upper division talent, I think, but not elite. Vic will get them to play defense, but you would expect them to fall off across the board overall. I don't think McCowan will be able to anchor an offense. I don't think she's athletic enough to add anything off the dribble, I don't see any complicated post game coming, and I don't think she will extend her range. They will need someone to take the lead on scoring as I just don't think she will be great for them as the primary scorer against dedicated defenses.

UGA has a decent shot to win the league. They should be building on the progress they made and benefitting from what other teams lost.

TAMU is going to be a one woman show, it appears.

This is what I would’ve posted if I had the dedication lol..

Reaction Score
Missouri is probably fairly ranked, though I think their talent level is Sweet 16 level. They play hard and physical and Cunningham is good, but not sure there is much beyond that. I assume the PG is gone, which I think is a problem. Not sure how they will replace her, but maybe they have stuff coming in.
Have you seen something about their PG leaving? Mizzou's offensive system isn't as PG-centric as some, but the PG last season was KU transfer Lauren Aldridge, who has a season of eligibility left. She had already graduated before this past season and would be a second-year law student at Mizzou next year.
TAMU is going to be a one woman show, it appears.
Howard's transfer request was so unexpected that some are worried that this will literally be true! ;)

If everyone else stays, we need to do a better job of creating open looks for Danni Williams.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I laughed pretty good at tennessee at num 9..they will be lucky to be top 25 by the time sec play starts..

Reaction Score
Have you seen something about their PG leaving? Mizzou's offensive system isn't as PG-centric as some, but the PG last season was KU transfer Lauren Aldridge, who has a season of eligibility left. She had already graduated before this past season and would be a second-year law student at Mizzou next year.

Howard's transfer request was so unexpected that some are worried that this will literally be true! ;)

If everyone else stays, we need to do a better job of creating open looks for Danni Williams.

Nah. I didn’t realize she had two years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
No way Mizzou, Tenn, Georgia and Miss St will be better. Miss St loses 4 of their 5 starters and people still expect them to be top 10?? Stanford at #6 after losing 11 games this year and losing McPhee to graduation?? I'm not sold on Maryland as they always bow out early in the tourney and couldn't win their tourney in the weakest P5 conference. Tenn at 9?? I had to stop reading because I absolutely knew at that point it was a complete joke.[/QU

While I agree with you on Miss St and TN, I have to disagree on the other two (not that they absolutely will be better, but they have a good chance to be better). While GA does lose some experienced players, they have upgraded their recruiting and the replacing talent is higher rated (whether they live up to their rating remains to be seen). Mizzou loses only one starter, a forward whose name I can't remember: she was a good player, but not irreplaceable, and the freshman from Columbia (MO) should step into her place. I do agree that TN will be way down, especially in the frontcourt.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

She STILL has eligibility? Gosh.. seems like Williams has been at A&M forever!

Reaction Score
She STILL has eligibility? Gosh.. seems like Williams has been at A&M forever!
Danni and Anriel arrived in the same recruiting class; Danni was more highly rated but Anriel started as a freshman because Williams was behind Courtney Walker at the 2 guard. So you're impression is odd; Danni has only started for 2 seasons. She has been in the leaders in the SEC in minutes played per game.

I hope you're not getting Danni Williams and A&M's (or USF's) Courtney Williams mixed up!

Reaction Score
MW being anointed as. Borderline AA & “Kia-like” is insane. Kia was one of the best role players in program history. 13 a game, top 10 in the country in 3pt % & defensive player of the year isn’t something I see in Walker’s future. She is really slow laterally & a lazy defender.

I do think she is a good rebounder & slasher. I’m just worried about her feeling entitled because she was ranked #1. We need her to distribute next year, especially on fast breaks where I saw a lot of selfishness on her end. Her being our 4th leading scorer would be fine but you won’t see the balanced scoring attack from us like in years past. Lou & Pheesa will both average 20+ because their is a significant drop off in talent & Geno knows that so he will feed them the ball. I could see them splitting some NPOY awards as Maya & Tina did. This would be best case because it would mean we would be in contention for a title again.

Crystal will have to be our do it all PG. average 12-13, 5-6 assists, 2 steals & run the team. I see Christyn as stepping in as our starting 2 guard next year but you never know with freshman. Batouly I think is front runner for starting 5. Bruiser that doesn’t care about scoring & can certainly help Pheesa on the boards.

Reaction Score
I would put UConn at #2 behind ND.

Baylor plays in a very weak Big 12 so we’re not exactly sure just how good their guards are. Brown & Cox are good but I think they showed they aren’t all that. They were both abused by Gulich & Or. St.

Oregon is young & talented but can they really guard? Secondly, do you take Lou, Pheesa & Crystal or Ionescu, Hebard & Sabally?? I personally don’t think that argument is all that close.

Reaction Score
Danni and Anriel arrived in the same recruiting class; Danni was more highly rated but Anriel started as a freshman because Williams was behind Courtney Walker at the 2 guard. So you're impression is odd; Danni has only started for 2 seasons. She has been in the leaders in the SEC in minutes played per game.

I hope you're not getting Danni Williams and A&M's (or USF's) Courtney Williams mixed up!

There was a girl on A&M that was older then Danni and they looked a lot alike. Maybe that's why?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom