ESPN's "Way too early 2018/2019 Top 25" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN's "Way too early 2018/2019 Top 25"

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Funny you say that...I was writing in defense of MM a while back regarding her not wining the other NCOY award......I was about to say look how well ND has done with only seven players and even those are not all that highly ranked.....then when I really looked at the individual players I was reminded that according to ESPN these kids weren't exactly chopped liver

Yup. Only Koko Nelson was not a McDonald's All-American. Pretty good ingredients for the proverbial meal.

Reaction Score
I would have UConn at #2 and slide Oregon and Baylor down one each. This may sound like brown-nosing but in my mind UConn is always #1 until proven otherwise.

Obviously, ND has to be #1 given that they return 4 starters from a national championship team and the 5th starter will be an All-American returning from injury. But I think UConn is pretty much 1a.

I expect Walker will make the leap to being a star. Post presence will be an issue but UConn will be able to beat all but the very elite teams on the strength of Dangerfield, Walker, Williams, KLS, and Collier. The rest are so good that basic competency will be all that is required of the bigs. I think Camara and ONO will be able to provide at least that. ND made a national final with Turner starting at Center as a true freshman (with a busted shoulder). It's certainly doable and we all have seen that ONO has the talent.

it's simply impossible to rank UConn right now without knowing how remaining sophs will play and with two highly touted but untested incoming freshmen.............four seems a bit high to me, I would think top ten but any number would work because frankly what does it matter.............

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What exactly is a star?

In this instance, I meant it as "not only a starter, but a very good starter". I think she'll play well enough to be bandied about as an All-American candidate (but not get AA because Napheesa and KLS will get the UConn votes). Basically around the level Kia was this year, maybe a half-step worse.

Reaction Score
That may say more about that Washington team being underrated than Maryland being overrated.

Aside from being too early, it should also be noted that in ranking anything, the numerical rank loses a lot of information, like the size of the gaps and the uncertainty in the metric being ranked. I see the teams below 6ish being a big pick 'em of massively overlapping error bars.

Along those lines, I have no idea who the favorite should be in the SEC next season, much less the B1G, which I watch much less often. This past year we saw Miss State clear of the pack with 6 other teams with the potential to get the double bye in the SEC tourney. SC with A'ja was, IMO, in a different class than the other 5. Next season I see MSU and SC probably coming back to the pack, but the other 5 have their own issues. Georgia was the surprise of 17-18 but IMO Engram was a big part of their success. Mizzou I've addressed above. A&M's questions are obvious; so are Tennessee's. LSU loses Raigyne and Mickie DeMoss. I would be surprised but not shocked if Bama or Auburn moved up next season. Maybe not enough to contend, but enough to be spoilers. Every team's best-case scenario is rosy. I can construct one for A&M even without Anriel. But while best-case scenario is great for us as fans, objectively it's a sucker's bet.

I agree I just tend to think SC has more to work with then Miss St. if Howard stays at A&M they should be favored, if not they will fall back. Tenn will likely have to most turnovers again. Hayes & Westbrook at the PG position combined for 236 turnovers, in what world is that a positive? And he expects more freshmen to come in and help? Georgia had a better year then expected and Caliya is good but their guard play is subpar and they didn't bring anyone to help. They will win a lot of games because of their defense but I don't expect them to be contenders. Same with Mizzou, Cunningham is fantastic but outside of her who is a threat? FGCU displayed that in the tourney. I think SC has the best guard play and best PG in the league and that's what you need to win not only in the SEC but the NCAA tourney as well.

Reaction Score
Davis is capable of being a big time scorer. I do agree with that. Also Westbrook and Hayes should be better.

Yes players typically improve over time, but those guards benefited from all the extra attention Mercedes drew. That will not be the case next year.

In previous years, i have thought TN could be good given their talent. But this coming year I don’t see it. Who is going to get all the RBs that the TN offense requires?

2-3 years when they are juniors and seniors I could see. But next year not so much.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes players typically improve over time, but those guards benefited from all the extra attention Mercedes drew. That will not be the case next year.

In previous years, i have thought TN could be good given their talent. But this coming year I don’t see it. Who is going to get all the RBs that the TN offense requires?

2-3 years when they are juniors and seniors I could see. But next year not so much.
I think these guards are very skilled. They have a year of playing. Now they also have a off season to work on thier game. As far as guards I think Tennessee will be fine. Inside is the question. I think it will be how Kasi developes.

Reaction Score
In this instance, I meant it as "not only a starter, but a very good starter". I think she'll play well enough to be bandied about as an All-American candidate (but not get AA because Napheesa and KLS will get the UConn votes). Basically around the level Kia was this year, maybe a half-step worse.
It snowed a few inches in Storrs today, and there's not a snowball's chance in hell that Walker is even close to what Kia was. Not this year. Maybe not ever.

Reaction Score
Nobody is beating ND next year. That team is absolutely stacked!

Reaction Score
I think Megan Walker will have a really good collegiate career. I think she has the potential to do some really positive things on both sides of the floor next season. Next year Crystal Dangerfield will be the star player for UConn. Meaning in late game situations she will be in control on who takes the last shot. I expect a more aggressive and assertive Dangerfield. It pains me to say it but I honestly believe she will be the best point guard in college next season.

Reaction Score
I am quite comfortable with a pre-season #4 ranking for the Huskies, and I am most assuredly NOT one of those who think the sky is falling for this program. This team lost two games over the course of two seasons, both by a bucket in overtime, has three outstanding returning starters, and two previously ranked #1 recruits in the country to fill in holes left by graduation and all-of-a-sudden we’re feeling it’s gloom-and-doom time? In what universe do we reside?
I am especially amused and mystified by the oft-expressed notion that Megan W is a bust. Are posters here so oblivious to the historic realities of UConn WBB that they are willing to succumb to this type of thinking? I saw the very same sentiments posted about Crystal at this time last year. Geno routinely beats down his Freshman players in an effort to make them more complete players down the road...unless he needs their contribution right away. How many times do we need to see this movie before we accept the plot as real?
CW, on the other hand, will be depended upon as a Freshman, as will Ono, and will therefore be handled accordingly.
Had UConn won the NC, and if Z had still elected to leave, we wouldn’t be witnessing all this hand-wringing. The team missed out by a bucket, folks. No panic required.

Reaction Score
Being I've been one of those a bit skeptical about MW's development ahead, I need to respond and clarify to your amusement and mystification.
Yes, CD had a somewhat similar freshman season which was also quite uneven. Yet it was never really in question that she was the second sub in. While she was also very highly ranked coming out of HS, she wasn't the exalted #1.
I have never stated nor do I believe ( apologize for the double negative here) that she's a bust. Only that she hasn't yet earned a thing.
We criticize here frequently the anointing before the season of Wilson as #1 and now the more than occasional snide remarks about ND, who beat U Conn fair and square. Yet, we just assume MW will follow in the footsteps of many, maybe most highly ranked HS players and her sophomore jump is assumed or somehow guaranteed. Sorry I just don't blindly accept that. Is it possible? Surely and if it happens I will be very pleased and admit I was wrong. Until then, I will continue to question her being given a starting spot, becoming an AA and even NPOY.
I won't go into it again why I think it's at least possible she will be a good player, maybe even a very good one, but maybe not close to KLS or anywhere near the Big Three.
Other than that I think their placement as #4 is close to where they belong. I am not sure about Oregon as even though they are a very talented, deep, young and well coached team, they still haven't crossed the hump to winning truly big games. While I love Ionescu and think her and KLS will be amongst the likely NPOY candidates, she surely had an uncharacteristic bad game. Yes she surely tried to do too much, when her teammates didn't do their parts either. Again I need to see it from Oregon as I need to see it from MW, before any anointing at least here.
Sorry to be so snarky and trying to remain a bit realistic.
Bronx23

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Stanford a tad high at #6 (I have them at #11).
Tennessee too high at #9 (I'd have them somewhere around #15).
Oregon State too low at #12 (I have them at #6).

I think South Carolina will be better than #15. Yes, they looked a hot mess whenever A'ja wasn't on the floor, but they know going into next season they need others to step up and I think they have the personnel to do so. Jennings, Herbert-Harrigan, and Grissett bring size and experience and athleticism, even if none of them are A'ja Wilson. Cuevas-Moore and Te'a Cooper will be added to the mix as well. Tyasha Harris had her ups and downs this year, but she'll still be one of the best PGs in the SEC.

I'm sorry, but UCLA should not be a preseason top-25 team.

I have a feeling that both Nebraska and Minnesota will spend some time in the top 25 as well. Both were vastly improved this season and have most of their firepower coming back.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sometimes posters get what they deserve around here, especially when we are fans from other schools.
And sometimes they don't, but some of us are trying. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Being I've been one of those a bit skeptical about MW's development ahead, I need to respond and clarify to your amusement and mystification.
Yes, CD had a somewhat similar freshman season which was also quite uneven. Yet it was never really in question that she was the second sub in. While she was also very highly ranked coming out of HS, she wasn't the exalted #1.
I have never stated nor do I believe ( apologize for the double negative here) that she's a bust. Only that she hasn't yet earned a thing.
We criticize here frequently the anointing before the season of Wilson as #1 and now the more than occasional snide remarks about ND, who beat U Conn fair and square. Yet, we just assume MW will follow in the footsteps of many, maybe most highly ranked HS players and her sophomore jump is assumed or somehow guaranteed. Sorry I just don't blindly accept that. Is it possible? Surely and if it happens I will be very pleased and admit I was wrong. Until then, I will continue to question her being given a starting spot, becoming an AA and even NPOY.
I won't go into it again why I think it's at least possible she will be a good player, maybe even a very good one, but maybe not close to KLS or anywhere near the Big Three.
Other than that I think their placement as #4 is close to where they belong. I am not sure about Oregon as even though they are a very talented, deep, young and well coached team, they still haven't crossed the hump to winning truly big games. While I love Ionescu and think her and KLS will be amongst the likely NPOY candidates, she surely had an uncharacteristic bad game. Yes she surely tried to do too much, when her teammates didn't do their parts either. Again I need to see it from Oregon as I need to see it from MW, before any anointing at least here.
Sorry to be so snarky and trying to remain a bit realistic.
Bronx23
If she is Hayes or Strothers like, I'm all good with that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What exactly is a star?
A supa star.

ee7f297254378e8ca801f36c44a22e96.jpg

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Nobody is beating ND next year. That team is absolutely stacked!

And they’ll have Brunelle to make it a three-peat the following year ;)....

Lol... kidding. I know, I know.. wrong thread. Just stirring the pot.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, he says we would have been #1 if Z had stayed. I would have thought #2, maybe #3.

Saying Z would have made us #1, is another back-handed slam for her extended, semi-final bench time. IMHO. Also, it denies ND's loaded team, the rules not allowing all of Muffet's stars to play at once, that implies some kind of confusing South-Bend, All-American traffic jam.

Reaction Score
And they’ll have Brunelle to make it a three-peat the following year ;)....

Lol... kidding. I know, I know.. wrong thread. Just stirring the pot.

They will definitely get Brunelle but they lose a lot(of good players) that year. I also think Brunelle is extremely over-hyped.

Reaction Score
What's your take on the Gamecocks #15 ranking? Thoughts about other teams? @SCGamecock @cockhrnleghrn @shiverz45 @Gamecockfan77

Honestly, I think that's a fair place for South Carolina to start. I think 15-25 is probably the low end expectation for the team. I think USC could finish anywhere from 1-6 in the SEC next league. Just remains to be seen what additions Dawn makes, what kind of progress the team makes over the summer, and how they want to play.

I think the SEC will be a scrum next season. I don't see an elite team, but I see a lot of pretty talented teams that will defend and may have good enough stars to beat you on a given night.

Missouri is probably fairly ranked, though I think their talent level is Sweet 16 level. They play hard and physical and Cunningham is good, but not sure there is much beyond that. I assume the PG is gone, which I think is a problem. Not sure how they will replace her, but maybe they have stuff coming in.

Tennessee certainly on paper could be that good, but they would need the weakness of their team become the strength and at this point I don't see any reason why you would expect Warlick to get the most out of the talent. Maybe she will yet, but its definitely show me time.

I think Miss State takes a bigger step back than that. I think they will probably still be good because they have some players and McCowan is a weapon of sorts. They have upper division talent, I think, but not elite. Vic will get them to play defense, but you would expect them to fall off across the board overall. I don't think McCowan will be able to anchor an offense. I don't think she's athletic enough to add anything off the dribble, I don't see any complicated post game coming, and I don't think she will extend her range. They will need someone to take the lead on scoring as I just don't think she will be great for them as the primary scorer against dedicated defenses.

UGA has a decent shot to win the league. They should be building on the progress they made and benefitting from what other teams lost.

TAMU is going to be a one woman show, it appears.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom