ESPN's Mock WNBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ESPN - Link

Kelly looks like 1st rounder - link

I understand why the CT Sun would take Kelly with their pick, but does it help the team win a Championship? I don't think so even with all the intangibles and stats that Kelly would bring. What the Sun need is a guard or wing that can create her own shot and be able to score in tough half court defense. A consistent three point shooter would also help.

Kelly would help put fans in the seats and there's nothing wrong with that.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That mock draft looks suspicious to me. I will be surprised if Kelly is still on the board when the Sun pick. Besides that, I don't think she matches up well with their needs. The Sun's biggest need is a 3 who can score major points -- KML would be an obvious choice if she were in this draft. Their second need is for someone to help fill the void left by Asjha's summer off. That may be left to Kelsey Griffin, who may surprise us by how well she fills that role. She has a lot of similarities to Kelly (in terms of hustle and limited outside shooting accuracy), but she didn't face the same level of competition in college so she is late adjusting to the pro game.

I don't think Kelly is really the right person to fill either of those needs. I'm trying to think whether they can arrange a trade -- maybe for Kayla Pederson?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if Faris is on board that late in the draft...in Faris you get a tremendous defender who has great basketball IQ, good court vision/passing ability and doesn't everything well. Good rebounder, good spot up shooter--she isn't going to turn into a scoring machine or an all star, but you'll get a tremendous role player who IMO is one of the safest picks in the draft. I'd definitely take her over Rodgers/Mathies/Clarendon/Hill.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Interesting that 2 of them predicted the Sky would take Diggins over EDD. I find that as surprising as predicting Kelly drops to #11. Lindsey Moore? Carolyn Davis? Sugar Rogers? I'm sure they are talented players, but I just don't know about taking them ahead of Faris. Still, I've not evaluated all the players and don't know exactly what the GM's of each team feel their most urgent needs are.

I still harken back to Kalana Greene - went #13 in the draft (1st in the 2nd round) and is still a starter for the Sun, while 5 of the players selected ahead of her are either out of the WNBA or averaging next to 0 minutes if they are even on a team this year. I believe Kelly will be a better pro than Kalana. She will be a starter for someone in a few years.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
Kelly's college career was better than Tiffany's, and Tiffany was "6th person" in her first year at Atlanta, and started when Angel McCoughtry was unavailable for any of her numerous reasons. Kelly should do at least that well in her first year in the WNBA.

The other thing that you can be sure about with Kelly (as well as Tiffany and Kalana) is that she won't be a head case, which is not something that can always be said of others with more obvious basketball talent.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if Faris is on board that late in the draft...in Faris you get a tremendous defender who has great basketball IQ, good court vision/passing ability and doesn't everything well. Good rebounder, good spot up shooter--she isn't going to turn into a scoring machine or an all star, but you'll get a tremendous role player who IMO is one of the safest picks in the draft. I'd definitely take her over Rodgers/Mathies/Clarendon/Hill.
Exactly- it's the security of knowing what you're getting that I think will cause her to go higher than 11. She's simply going to play the right way and help you win ball games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If Kelly doesn't go in the first round then some GMs should be fired. If Kelly falls past 10 I would be surprised.
She is WNBA ready and brings incredible offensive efficiency with her. She is never going to be a 15 shot per game player and no one should want her to be, but she proved she can shoot a high percentage and her assists and offensive rebounding are what every team needs.
And as for defense - just phenomenal - ask the number three draftee, or a number of the other offensive stars about to be drafted.
And you will not find a better teammate.
People have underestimated her in college and they may be about to do the same in the WNBA.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
If the Sky takes Diggins over EDD. Pokey should be fired on the spot. EDD is like Chicago's Griner. No way in heck should she not be picked by the Sky.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I will say that Kelly will never have to buy a cup of coffee in this state now that she's not a collegiate player...so her wnba salary will go a longer way if she did end up with he Sun. :)

Reaction Score
With EDD being drafted, what prevents her from getting "homesick" & returning home as before?

Reaction Score
Seems like a good time to remind about one other mock draft...

http://www.wnba.com/mercury/news/siegel_mock_130410.html
I hope this is a bit off. Would love Kelly to fall to the Storm. we need a new uconn player now that Sue is out the year. not too many players play with the heart that Kelly does. Something to make me cheer during a difficult year (Jackson also out the season)

Oh and would Sveta please come back as well (she is still listed as on the storm roster)
Thanks

JoePgh

Reaction Score
One thing that surprises me about all of these mock drafts is that no one seems to think that any of the "other" Baylor seniors are potential first-rounders. I'm talking about Brooklyn Pope, Destiny Williams, Nene Hayden, and one other player whose name I am not recalling. I believe they are all 6-0 or more and good athletes. Why aren't they being considered?

Reaction Score
Doesn't ANYBODY else think Indiana would draft Kelly? if only for marketing purposes?
....anything she does on the court would be a bonus, no?

They ain't 'gonna get Skylar.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
If the Sky takes Diggins over EDD. Pokey should be fired on the spot. EDD is like Chicago's Griner. No way in heck should she not be picked by the Sky.

I keep thinking that the Sky might want "Sky"lar on their team for publicity purposes. :rolleyes:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Would love Kelly to fall to the Storm. we need a new uconn player now that Sue is out the year. not too many players play with the heart that Kelly does. ....

Kelly, I think, will have a similar career to T. Wright, who also was underapprecitated in college and also was known for her defense. She had to score more than Kelly because PState had a bigger need for more scorers; Huskies had plenty of better scoring options than Kelly, but it seems obvious to me that Kelly at this point has shown she can be an efficient scorer if called upon. Again, like Wright. Not a superstar, but very valuable and versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom