ESPN2 double header 2/20 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

ESPN2 double header 2/20

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nina's stock is dropping. What did it say that Mulkey had Cohen and Cox playing before her at the end of the game? Cox was ready to pull the trigger on the outside jumper, which Nina still cannot shoot.

I was pleased to see Baylor win a big game without major contributions from the seniors. This bodes well for next season. Brown and Cox are going to be better than Coates and Wilson, if they aren't already.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Texas with brutal finishes in back-to-back games. They lose on a last-second 3 to Oklahoma, then miss a game-tying last-second 3 against Baylor.

What a coming-out party for Kalani Brown. (I know she's had other big games, but none this big or against this good of an opponent.) Her stat line was downright ridiculous. I'm not sure what's more impressive: 10 of 12 from the field or 11 of 12 from the foul line. This was a Liz Cambage-like dominant performance.
Actually 15-16 from the line for low 60's shooter- very impressive. I think the loss of Lang hurt and I am not sure why ACG didn't play much in second half. And while Holmes telaent is undeniable, she plays too much one on one, dribbles far to much and needs to work the passes on the break. Last is the incessant foul trouble that plagues her in big games. As Karen matures as a coach and delegates assignments to her staff, the smaller things will improve. While I understand your 5 loss comment, they are battling for the supremacy in the state of Texas and Big12 and all that talent. I certainly understand the stakes. Still not sure why Kim is so sensitive though as she's been Queen for a long time.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thanks ETT, a few of us were ready to post an APB on you! If you could, what's the back story on Kim and Karen, I thought Aston was an assistant on Kim's staff yet there was bad blood last year. I also know the Texas fans were a tad obnoxious last night which I attribute to Tex-Baylor rivalry.Kim seems overly sensitive here considering her bonafides. Thoughts?

Well, I think that was a jab at all those those who had been crowing about UT being the new king of the hill after UT managed their first win in 7 years against Baylor. I don't think that was a jab against Aston, but it surely was not well received by her. I think the comment was nothing more than a fiery coach giving an honest emotion after a big win.

Aston was the assistant for one year. Maybe in that one year there was not much love lost between the two. One year sure is a short stint.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Actually 15-16 from the line for low 60's shooter- very impressive. I think the loss of Lang hurt and I am not sure why ACG didn't play much in second half. And while Holmes telaent is undeniable, she plays too much one on one, dribbles far to much and needs to work the passes on the break. Last is the incessant foul trouble that plagues her in big games. As Karen matures as a coach and delegates assignments to her staff, the smaller things will improve. While I understand your 5 loss comment, they are battling for the supremacy in the state of Texas and Big12 and all that talent. I certainly understand the stakes. Still not sure why Kim is so sensitive though as she's been Queen for a long time.

She was shooting 69% coming into the game, just a bit better than low 60s. Brown has very good form and i expect her FTs to fall.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gotta appreciate the modesty.

That remark is actually an admission she's felt the breath on the back of her neck. Guaranteed she still feels it. She's always been a prickly little thing.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That remark is actually an admission she's felt the breath on the back of her neck. Guaranteed she still feels it. She's always been a ly little thing.

That game last night was MUCH bigger than just one conference game. Of course she feels UT nipping at her hills. There are some big time recruits in the state who will most likely be choosing between UT and BU very soon. Kim wanted to send the message that Baylor is still the college to choose if you want to play for the Big 12 champion and bragging rights of the state.

This is going to be one of the biggest WCBB rivalries in the next few years. I fully expect UT to win the Big 12 championship next season unless the Baylor freshmen can have an immediate impact.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wait, you just beat Tulane by 3 points and you are turning up your nose at a Baylor win on the road without their leading scorer against a top 5 team?

Bigger PLEASE!

Anyone who follows WCBB knows that Texas came out slow and lost 4 games but has since been one of the hottest teams in the country. Would UCONN have beaten Texas had they had played them instead of Tulane? Doubtful.
Ease off, cowboy. You're a visitor here.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Wait, you just beat Tulane by 3 points and you are turning up your nose at a Baylor win on the road without their leading scorer against a top 5 team?

Bigger PLEASE!

Anyone who follows WCBB knows that Texas came out slow and lost 4 games but has since been one of the hottest teams in the country. Would UCONN have beaten Texas had they had played them instead of Tulane? Doubtful.
Would they have played the same way? I doubt it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Aw shucks. There goes my swelling head. :)
Oh boy, bro-fest going on! Dare I add to this by saying I too agree with most of what Plebe says and always I well it is written. :cool:

Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell has been Maryland's nemesis the past two years, because Brenda's preference for an open-floor game plays right into Kelsey's strengths. She is lighting them up.
What is "an open-floor game" ? Not up on all the BB language. And yes Kelsey was lighting it up!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That game last night was MUCH bigger than just one conference game. Of course she feels UT nipping at her hills. There are some big time recruits in the state who will most likely be choosing between UT and BU very soon. Kim wanted to send the message that Baylor is still the college to choose if you want to play for the Big 12 champion and bragging rights of the state.
This is going to be one of the biggest WCBB rivalries in the next few years. I fully expect UT to win the Big 12 championship next season unless the Baylor freshmen can have an immediate impact.
Why, because everything is bigger because it's Texas. But don't believe the hype. UCONN has beat both of those teams already and you are on a UCONN board so by definition it's not bigger. Good win by Baylor coming back from double digits on the road. Brown played like an AA. Hope Alexis Jones is OK. I was watching the game not really paying attention when she got hurt.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Why, because everything is bigger because it's Texas. But don't believe the hype. UCONN has beat both of those teams already and you are on a UCONN board so by definition it's not bigger. Good win by Baylor coming back from double digits on the road. Brown played like an AA. Hope Alexis Jones is OK. I was watching the game not really paying attention when she got hurt.

No, as explained, it was bigger than just one game because of the recruiting implications. These HS girls are watching these games and formulating opinions on each and with Baylor and UT being on near comparable footing at this point this one win has implications far more reaching than just winning this game.

I didn't say it was bigger than UCONN. Not sure where that came from.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Did Geno make silly swashbuckling comments after the Tulane game to brag about how no one had knocked them off the mountaintop yet?

Plebe

Reaction Score
What is "an open-floor game" ? Not up on all the BB language. And yes Kelsey was lighting it up!

Lots of fast-paced, transition basketball, up and down the court, shots taken before all 5 players have made it back to set up in half-court offense/defense. For example:

“It really was [the best game of his career],” said UMass coach Derek Kellogg. “That’s actually a good [type] of game for him to play, when it’s kind of a free-wheeling, open floor game, not a lot of sets and he usually thrives in that kind of setting.”
Javorn Farrell has career game in big UMass victory

Reaction Score
That's where you knock out all the wall around the kitchen and open it up to the family room.
Open planning. Why shouldn't that work in BB.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Nina's stock is dropping. What did it say that Mulkey had Cohen and Cox playing before her at the end of the game? Cox was ready to pull the trigger on the outside jumper, which Nina still cannot shoot.

I was pleased to see Baylor win a big game without major contributions from the seniors. This bodes well for next season. Brown and Cox are going to be better than Coates and Wilson, if they aren't already.

For my money, Brown is already a far better back-to-the-basket offensive post player than either Coates or Wilson. With Brown's size and girth and ability to bury her defender under the bucket, I wasn't kidding when I compared her to Liz Cambage.

I think Coates is probably a better rebounder, and possibly a better defender. Wilson has much greater versatility at the 4 position with her ability to shoot, pass or drive from 15 feet.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Lots of fast-paced, transition basketball, up and down the court, shots taken before all 5 players have made it back to set up in half-court offense/defense. For example:

“It really was [the best game of his career],” said UMass coach Derek Kellogg. “That’s actually a good [type] of game for him to play, when it’s kind of a free-wheeling, open floor game, not a lot of sets and he usually thrives in that kind of setting.”
Javorn Farrell has career game in big UMass victory

AKA, run and gun.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Did Geno make silly swashbuckling comments after the Tulane game to brag about how no one had knocked them off the mountaintop yet?

Your original intimation was that a 3 point win on the road against a top 5 team IS nothing to brag about. Whether or not it was "classy" of Mulkey to brag is a different story. Geno had no reason to brag about UCONN's performance.

Reaction Score

run and gun - very little team defense- the first team to 90 wins. The strategy works well when you play in a weak conference. And play teams that have not won in 4 years.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Your original intimation was that a 3 point win on the road against a top 5 team IS nothing to brag about. Whether or not it was "classy" of Mulkey to brag is a different story. Geno had no reason to brag about UCONN's performance.

Not what I intimated. What I did mean is that when you're a top 2 team, avoiding a regular-season sweep by a top 6 (not sure where you're getting top 5) team should't be a boasting point. Geno wasn't bragging either when they beat Texas ... or Baylor ... or Notre Dame or Florida State or South Carolina or Maryland.

Reaction Score
run and gun - very little team defense- the first team to 90 wins. The strategy works well when you play in a weak conference. And play teams that have not won in 4 years.
That's what I thought. That kind of play gets sloppy which looked the case last night in both games.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not what I intimated. What I did mean is that when you're a top 2 team, avoiding a regular-season sweep by a top 6 (not sure where you're getting top 5) team should't be a boasting point. Geno wasn't bragging either when they beat Texas ... or Baylor ... or Notre Dame or Florida State or South Carolina or Maryland.

Geno is lacking passion and intensity. :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

My opinion. I actually think they are a top 4 team.

Reaction Score
7PM MD vs tOSU. With Movunga out, MD by double digits
9PM Baylor at TX. Should be a barn burner. Prediction. Baylor sneaks by in nail biter
Great call on the Baylor game eebmg. Nailed it with a barn burner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom