ESPN Pushing UConn to ACC Story Again | The Boneyard

ESPN Pushing UConn to ACC Story Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Mike Tirico on ESPN Sportsbeat on ESPN radio just now: "Look for UConn to be courted hard and pushed to join the ACC as the 16th"

Why does ESPN keep pushing it if they don't want it to happen?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Mike Tirico on ESPN Sportsbeat on ESPN radio just now: "Look for UConn to be courted hard and pushed to join the ACC as the 16th"

UConn courted and pushed hard?! All it would take is a text or even a glance from the ACC...I don't think there would be any 'courting' needed at this point!:rolleyes:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I don't think Swofford could have been more clear about the ACC not wanting any more teams. They are set.

15-20 years from now, if the ACC adds Notre Dame as a fulltime member and UConn doesn't burn any more bridges, we have a good shot at winding up there (if the B10 or B12 or MAC or CAA or whatever hasn't taken us away first). But it's going to be a long wait. If UConn continues to grow its football program, we will be fine. If we cry and whine about our position, we are going nowhere. That's what Rice did after the SWC broke up...

Reaction Score
I don't think Swofford could have been more clear about the ACC not wanting any more teams. They are set.

15-20 years from now, if the ACC adds Notre Dame as a fulltime member and UConn doesn't burn any more bridges, we have a good shot at winding up there (if the B10 or B12 or MAC or CAA or whatever hasn't taken us away first). But it's going to be a long wait. If UConn continues to grow its football program, we will be fine. If we cry and whine about our position, we are going nowhere. That's what Rice did after the SWC broke up...

Swofford could not have been more clear. But Swofford has been perfectly clear about tons of things that then don't happen. He was perfectly clear a year ago that they would never take anything less than a full member in all sports. Why is today's statement more meaningful?

Reaction Score
Public comments from John Swofford, or any conference commissioner, are less reliable than rumors I hear from my girlfriend's stuffed Winnie The Pooh bear.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score

15-20 years from now, if the ACC adds Notre Dame as a fulltime member and UConn doesn't burn any more bridges, we have a good shot at winding up there.

Actually, I think it will probably be much sooner that that. I think Notre Dame is going to be in the ACC in a few years. The ND leadership is just trying to ease the message to their crotchedy boosters and alumni slowly. Here is a quote from the press conference today:

"I want to reinforce that it's our intention to remain independent," Swarbrick said. "That's central to us and central to our discussions. If something drastic should change, we're committed to the ACC. We would expect this to be the home if we made a change. But I don't want to send the wrong message: Our intent is to remain independent."

I think that Notre Dame will be joining the ACC as a full member once their NBC contract is up (unless NBC gets irrational with their next offer to ND). I think Notre Dame is just trying to slowly build this up for all of their boosters and alumni to accept.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn courted and pushed hard?! All it would take is a text or even a glance from the ACC...I don't think there would be any 'courting' needed at this point!:rolleyes:

Just fart in our general direction.

Reaction Score
It just doesn't make sense for them to go to 15 football playing members. There is no way we get in, unless they invite someone else and go to 16 for football or they lose a member or two. At this point our best hope for going to the ACC is that maybe FSU and Clemson or another football school don't like this ND deal and feel they would be better served elsewhere.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
At this point our best hope for going to the ACC is that maybe FSU and Clemson or another football school don't like this ND deal and feel they would be better served elsewhere.

If that were to happen, it would have to happen in the next week or so. Then the school leaving might be able to get out of the $50MM exit fee (I have to think that a school can't be forced into that immediately after a vote of no). Once that is 'officially signed in ink', there is very little chance of any ACC schools leaving.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It just doesn't make sense for them to go to 15 football playing members. There is no way we get in, unless they invite someone else and go to 16 for football or they lose a member or two. At this point our best hope for going to the ACC is that maybe FSU and Clemson or another football school don't like this ND deal and feel they would be better served elsewhere.

Why not? Unbalanced divisions in football only or in every other sport. Which is more challenging?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why not? Unbalanced divisions in football only or in every other sport. Which is more challenging?
I doubt that it makes much different in any sport beyond hoops 9to the ACC at least). They can have three five team divisions for the regular season (four home & home, ten one time opponents) and sort it out in the conference tournament.

Football is the only sport where 15 would be a real issue.

Reaction Score
"I want to reinforce that it's our intention to remain independent," Swarbrick said. "That's central to us and central to our discussions. If something drastic should change, we're committed to the ACC. We would expect this to be the home if we made a change. But I don't want to send the wrong message: Our intent is to remain independent."

yeah, yeah , yeah... he was committed to the Big East back in April! These guys would make good politicians!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...d-big-east-olympic-sports-jack-swarbrick-says

Reaction Score
Fienstien was just interviewed on KFAN to talk about ND among other things. He got in a mention that he thought UConn would get a good look from the ACC

Reaction Score

Plausible deniability

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Let's just keep batting our eyes at them to look as pretty as possible as we look up from our position on our knees.

Reaction Score
is there anyone left in the screw the acc lets wait for a B1G invite? I've firmly joined the let's get the hell out of here camp

Reaction Score
We always seemed to be pushed after the fact and NOTHING comes out of it.

I still remember "reports" that Syracuse and UConn would be joining Miami,BC,VA Tech shortly in 2003.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well as of a few minutes ago, it seems we won't have a hall of fame men's basketball coach to offer.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Preface: I'm a Rutgers lurker.

And I am as baffled by this desperation to get into the ACC from you guys as I am from my own people. I can see wanting to get in if it's a nice raise and stuff, but this pining away for another junkpile league with mediocre football just floors me. Yes yes, postseason access blah blah blah blah, an undefeated Big East champion is still getting into the playoff except in the unlikely situation of four more undefeateds in front of it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Preface: I'm a Rutgers lurker.

And I am as baffled by this desperation to get into the ACC from you guys as I am from my own people. I can see wanting to get in if it's a nice raise and stuff, but this pining away for another junkpile league with mediocre football just floors me. Yes yes, postseason access blah blah blah blah, an undefeated Big East champion is still getting into the playoff except in the unlikely situation of four more undefeateds in front of it.

Just fill out this short questionnaire and then we can proceed...

__ Drunk
__ dumb

Thanks.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Just fill out this short questionnaire and then we can proceed...

__ Drunk
__ dumb

Thanks.

I MUST BE dumb SINCE I AM NOT DRUNK.

So playin' NC State and Wake and, well, all of the rest of them really excites you? Excites? You can't wait to plunk your money down to see the same sort of mediocre-to-terrible football teams you've always seen at the Rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom