ESPN Pushing UConn to ACC Story Again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN Pushing UConn to ACC Story Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I MUST BE dumb SINCE I AM NOT DRUNK.

So playin' NC State and Wake and, well, all of the rest of them really excites you? Excites? You can't wait to plunk your money down to see the same sort of mediocre-to-terrible football teams you've always seen at the Rent?

Mediocre-to-terrible doesn't even begin to describe the teams that will walk through the visitors tunnel in a few seasons.

Legitimately the only game that has any juice is the Rutgers game now.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I MUST BE dumb SINCE I AM NOT DRUNK.

So playin' NC State and Wake and, well, all of the rest of them really excites you? Excites? You can't wait to plunk your money down to see the same sort of mediocre-to-terrible football teams you've always seen at the Rent?

Compared to Memphis, Temple, and Houston....the answer is yes.

Originally, I didn't want to go to the ACC. But now that the ACC has become the old Big East...absolutely.

Here's a simple explanation for you....based on when UConn originally agreed to join the Big East football conference, there are now more of those teams in the ACC then there are in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Compared to Memphis, Temple, and Houston....the answer is yes.

Originally, I didn't want to go to the ACC. But now that the ACC has become the old Big East...absolutely.

Here's a simple explanation for you....based on when UConn originally agreed to join the Big East football conference, there are now more of those teams in the ACC then there are in the Big East.

Rutgers is the ONLY one left - oh and Temple....

Reaction Score
People who knock the ACC: Thye have taken our best teams (by name or reputation) for 9 years now. Get your head out of your ass. We basically would be playing in a league of our old BE friends PLUS FSU, Clem, NC, Duke, VA, NCSt - these are household names, big State schools and some of the greatest BBall schools of all time. You're damn right I want into that league. The travel would be easy, the campuses are beautiful and they love their sports. You don't think Playing Duke in the Final of the ACC Tournement would have some juice!?!?!? It would be by far the best BBall in the country, BY FAR. And football would be a lot of fun playing BC, Pitt and the rest.

The ACC is light years ahead of us right now and we would go at the drop of a hat.

Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame is just trying to slowly build this up for all of their boosters and alumni to accept.

Exactly. This is what FC Barcelona did with sponsorship. They used to never have a shirt sponsor. Then they put "UNICEF" on their shirts as an act of charity. Their fans slowly became used to having a brand name on their shirts. A few years later they signed a massive sponsorship deal with Qatar Foundation with very little opposition.

Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame is just trying to slowly build this up for all of their boosters and alumni to accept.

Exactly. This is what FC Barcelona did with sponsorship. They used to never have a shirt sponsor. Then they put "UNICEF" on their shirts as an act of charity. Their fans slowly became used to having a brand name on their shirts. A few years later they signed a massive sponsorship deal with Qatar Foundation with very little opposition.

Reaction Score

"It's going to make [the ACC] even more competitive than it already is," UNC women's hoops coach Sylvia Hatchell said of the Irish entry. "It can do nothing but help us, because Notre Dame has been really, really good.

"The [ACC] coaches have been talking about this for a while, so I don't think any of us are surprised that Notre Dame is going to be added. But I do think there will be one more brought in [to get to 16]."

If so, will that be yet another current member of the Big East? Might it even be UConn? ESPN.com reported last year that UConn, behind the scenes, was pursuing a spot in the ACC. Obviously if that happened, the Irish and Huskies would stay league mates.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
People who knock the ACC: Thye have taken our best teams (by name or reputation) for 9 years now. Get your head out of your ass. We basically would be playing in a league of our old BE friends PLUS FSU, Clem, NC, Duke, VA, NCSt - these are household names, big State schools and some of the greatest BBall schools of all time. You're damn right I want into that league. The travel would be easy, the campuses are beautiful and they love their sports. You don't think Playing Duke in the Final of the ACC Tournement would have some juice!?!?!? It would be by far the best BBall in the country, BY FAR. And football would be a lot of fun playing BC, Pitt and the rest.

The ACC is light years ahead of us right now and we would go at the drop of a hat.

Yeah, I think it's this kind of attitude I'm objecting to. It's okay to have a preference, but "light years" makes you sound like an ESPN flack.

I can see getting more excited about playing some of the OBE schools, especially you guys and BC. What I don't get is pretending the NBE schools are all junk when there's comparable junk in the ACC. It's snotty elitist school junk as opposed to populist urban public school junk, but junk all the same.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
is there anyone left in the screw the acc lets wait for a B1G invite? I've firmly joined the let's get the hell out of here camp
Yeah, I'm there too. I'm not happy about it, but I'm there.

Reaction Score
If that were to happen, it would have to happen in the next week or so. Then the school leaving might be able to get out of the $50MM exit fee (I have to think that a school can't be forced into that immediately after a vote of no). Once that is 'officially signed in ink', there is very little chance of any ACC schools leaving.

Agreed.

Reaction Score
Why not? Unbalanced divisions in football only or in every other sport. Which is more challenging?

I don't know how all olympic sports schedules function but 15 doesn't necessitate divisions for basketball. The BE has taught us that. You do round robin and then have a few mirror opponents. Football, due to the small number of conference games, is different. An uneven number like 15 would be a nightmare in terms of scheduling.

Reaction Score
It just doesn't make sense for them to go to 15 football playing members. There is no way we get in, unless they invite someone else and go to 16 for football or they lose a member or two. At this point our best hope for going to the ACC is that maybe FSU and Clemson or another football school don't like this ND deal and feel they would be better served elsewhere.
They didn't... Nd is playing football...

Reaction Score
The only way this may make sense for the ACC to offer UConn now is:

1. To make sure UConn isn't forced into a GOR
2. ACC has assurances of a huge bump to come with the addition of ND
3. ESPN already knows that ND will eventually join in a few years and it's willing to "invest" in the ACC a ton of money (more than B12 and P10) to make the ACC good now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Upstater, one other possibility:

One of the objectors (FSU?) bolts before the $50mm departure fee can be enforced and the ACC has to add another member.

Reaction Score
Upstater, one other possibility:

One of the objectors (FSU?) bolts before the $50mm departure fee can be enforced and the ACC has to add another member.

Good point, they'll need 14 if not more in such a case.

pj

Reaction Score
While as a Rutgers fan, I'm flattered, but--I mean--if you can't get excited for Boise, do you even like football?

Lots of NBE teams could become exciting -- I could see Houston and SMU being exciting games -- but they're a year away from being in the league, we won't play every year, and Boise is 3000 miles away so the fans will rarely see each other. The way college football goes up and down, there's no guarantee Boise will remain a top 25 team. Houston was ranked in recent years but this year they've lost to La Tech and Texas State. I expect to get excited about Boise when we play them, especially if it's a meaningful game. But that's a ways off. The Rutgers game will mean something this year.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If the ACC offered I'd hold my nose but I'd run to accept the offer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the ACC offered I'd hold my nose but I'd run to accept the offer.

Yep. There's just not much left. Our traditional opponents are in the ACC. It's over.

Now if the offer doesn't come, give me a few days and I will rev myself back up about the conference. Until then #we'rescrewed.

Reaction Score
Yep. There's just not much left. Our traditional opponents are in the ACC. It's over.

Now if the offer doesn't come, give me a few days and I will rev myself back up about the conference. Until then #we'rescrewed.

#screwedharder

Reaction Score
The ACC is now essentially the league we joined in 2002 with a few more good teams and a few more marginal ones, all of whom are geographically closer than NNBE schools, better respected among the media and public, have a seat in the new playoff format, and it would also create the greatest basketball league in the history of the world to boot. Unless the B1G comes calling, which they won't, there's absolutely no reason why if an invite came that we should even think about turning it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom