ESPN: next round (uconn) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN: next round (uconn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sigh. You had us playing the top 6 B10 teams each year, for heaven's sake. It doesn't work that way!!!!!!

No. I'm saying an typical schedule would be 4 from the Indiana group and 5 from the Ohio State group.

You split the mediocre group 2-2 and maybe knock off 1 from the upper group and go 1-4.

3-6.

Where's our disconnect haha?

Reaction Score
No. I'm saying an typical schedule would be 4 from the Indiana group and 5 from the Ohio State group.

You split the mediocre group 2-2 and maybe knock off 1 from the upper group and go 1-4.

3-6.

Where's our disconnect haha?

Why 5 from the Ohio State group? It wouldn't work that way. Each team pairs up with another that is permanently on the schedule. UConn isn't going to be paired with any of the top teams.

This means UConn faces 4 of PSU, Wisky, Iowa, Michigan, OSU, Nebraska.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What part about 9 conferences game and a record of 3 Wins and 6 losses adds up to 13 games played to you?

Yes, with this coach and these players you'd go 3-6 if you were lucky. Being in the conference changes who you hire and who you recruit. Anything could happen. They could be Indiana or they could be Michigan State. Ohio State is an almost impossible standard, but the league would open a lot of doors to players.

Reaction Score
Yes, with this coach and these players you'd go 3-6 if you were lucky. Being in the conference changes who you hire and who you recruit. Anything could happen. They could be Indiana or they could be Michigan State. Ohio State is an almost impossible standard, but the league would open a lot of doors to players.

The Big10 is not as good as you think it is.

Reaction Score
its better

Not under the top teams it isn't.

In fact, I'd rather face Indy and Minnesota than the bottom of the BE. Purdue and until recently Illinois are not much better either. Northwestern would also be a bottom half of the BE team. You have at least 5 teams in the Big 10 that would not crack the top of the BE.

No question the top teams are better and that the Big10 is better.

Reaction Score
I meant as an all-sports conference it most certainly is the best/most secure option for UConn.

Reaction Score
I meant as an all-sports conference it most certainly is the best/most secure option for UConn.

Oh, yeah, I mean, I am ready to leave the BE ASAP. I hold no hope for this conference, and if UConn is stuck here for a longtime, I think it will mean the end of UConn sports.

Reaction Score
Oh, yeah, I mean, I am ready to leave the BE ASAP. I hold no hope for this conference, and if UConn is stuck here for a longtime, I think it will mean the end of UConn sports.
We're next in line for the ACC.

Reaction Score
So does this mean that McGill & UBC are going to shrink their gridirons down to 100 yards & apply for Big East membership?;)
When the NFL goes into Toronto permanently, maybe. :confused:

McGill did play in the US for 3 years, at least.

Reaction Score
Anyone in the right mind would choose to develop rivalries in the B1G over Big East rivalries in the ACC. We can go with Rutgers into the B1G.

I just don't see UConn being able to compete in the long run with the likes of Michigan / Ohio State from a football program perspective. Their physical facilities and the $$ they spend of football dwarf what we invest. Basketball is another story obviously.

Reaction Score
The increased revenue that comes with the move to the B1G would help but we need time to develop a fan base that would support the Ohio state/ michigan type donations that allow them to spend the money they do. A move to the B1G would be the fastest way to that kind of football program

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I just don't see UConn being able to compete in the long run with the likes of Michigan / Ohio State from a football program perspective. Their physical facilities and the $$ they spend of football dwarf what we invest. Basketball is another story obviously.

I agree with you. The money spent on football, the established fan bases, program history and recruiting bases simply dwarf what we have at UConn right now.

I don't buy the argument that the bottom half of the Big10 is worse than the Big East is a valid argument to support a Big10 move. You could easily just say that the other half of the Big10 ( Mich, Neb, Ohio St, Iowa, Penn St, Wisc ) are all better programs than 8 team Big East.

It's just a flat out competitive disadvantage that I'm not sure we could overcome in the Big10.

Reaction Score
Our recruiting would sky rocket, it would be the fastest path in getting the Rent expanded having tOSU, Penn St, Michigan, Nebraska...in East Hartford. B1G would accelerate our program development faster than the ACC.

Reaction Score
ACC. Plain and simple. Best for UConn in all sports - period. Besides if people are going to travel 800 miles to an away game, better to be heading south. Who wants to be in Champaign Illinois is October?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would love to join the B1G, but I can't see it happening. Even to get an ACC invite we need an intervening event to occur...SEC poaches them etc. Get used to the NBE. We'll be here a while.

Reaction Score
Penn State's been in the B10 for 20 years and they have no rivals.

I'm a basketball first fan. Games against Syracuse matter. Games against Michigan State or Wisconsin don't.

Don't take it to mean I wouldn't be thrilled to get out of this mess, but B10 isn't happening, and basketball is better in ACC.
Agreed. We are a poor fit for the Big Ten. No rivalries whatsoever. We'd be like BC in the ACC, lost sheep.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Agreed. We are a poor fit for the Big Ten. No rivalries whatsoever. We'd be like BC in the ACC, lost sheep.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
yeah, except we'd be playing the most storied programs in college football history (Michigan, Ohio State) rather than Florida State and no one else.
B1G difference.
See what I did there?

Reaction Score
yeah, except we'd be playing the most storied programs in college football history (Michigan, Ohio State) rather than Florida State and no one else.
B1G difference.
See what I did there?
AND getting paid handsomely to do so with proceeds from the B1G television network.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
AND getting paid handsomely to do so with proceeds from the B1G television network.

Which is, to my happiness, standard on my Verizon FiOS TV. SNY is not.

Reaction Score
I would love for the Big 10 to make a power move and lock up the east coast......ND, Rutgers, UConn and MD......man, the acc would be totally screwed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that without a partner (at the moment, Rutgers would appear to be the only realistic possibility) joining the B1G with us, from a geographic and logistic viewpoint we would have serious difficulty in a midwest centered conference (and there would still be many challenges if we did have a partner). That said, if the B1G did offer us a spot in their conference e would have to jump at it. Stealing a line from JC the other day (on whether they could again win five games in five days) and bringing it to present tense, I don't think it is possible but I would like to take a crack at it!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I would love for the Big 10 to make a power move and lock up the east coast......ND, Rutgers, UConn and MD......man, the acc would be totally screwed.
This would be the scenario that would give UConn the best chance to be successful in the B1G. The fourth doesn't have to be Maryland as long as it's a northeast team. Cuse would be great - brings another rival with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom