ESPN: next round (uconn) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN: next round (uconn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Michigan State would be a great rivalry in BB

Agreed, and Indiana could become one. I give a slight edge to the ACC in basketball. If ND and UConn joined the B1G, it is very slight indeed, especially if IU can come back. Big edge to B1g in football. The top draws in the ACC, FSU, VT and Clemson are not really that exciting. Michigan, PSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Ohio State are all better than any school in the ACC. The Rent would need an instant expansion to cover the demand. On geography, IF ND came in to the ACC with us and IF they formed a geographic Northern division of UConn, BC, Cuse, Pitt, ND, UVA, MD and VT then edge to ACC. In any other scenario I think the B1G provides similar geographic advantages.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn to the B1G would ever happen so I've conditioned myself to stop considering it over the last month or so.

Reaction Score
The best rivalries are drivable games. If your fanbase doesn't come to the road games, there will be better rivalries elsewhere.
Don't worry. We'll have faster transportation develop in the near future.

Reaction Score
They'll call it TV.
No, I mean actual physical transportation. Haven't you noticed cars being able to go faster, at least? Amazing this even gets brought up. You see WVU fans whining about going to the Big 12?

Reaction Score
No, I mean actual physical transportation. Haven't you noticed cars being able to go faster, at least? Amazing this even gets brought up. You see WVU fans whining about going to the Big 12?
I'm not whining about going to the B10. I said clearly that I would jump at that opportunity.

But we haven't been invited. If we did, I'd be one of the biggest cheerleaders.

My point is that, for the reasons I gave--and my preference being basketball--we fit in more logically in the ACC. And I would prefer that.

Reaction Score
[quote="
I think a playoff produces the opposite result and conferences shrink back to 8 or 10.[/quote]

if the playoff is based off of conference champions than there's a chance, and i certainly hope, that you're right. the only problem is it's very difficult to shrink an organization. if a playoff were put together, pitting only conference champions plus a wild card or two, it would make all the sense in the world for the top football teams to be spread out more evenly among conferences. the problem is what team is going to leave the SEC or BigTen to join the BE if it means losing even a few million in TV revenue.

even with a wildcard or two, i think we can all agree that the only feasible chance for teams like OkSt, WVU, aTm, and a lot of other great programs with tradition would be to leave their conference and join, say the Big East, but i have a hard time believing any of them would do it if it meant throwing away $3-4 million a year. unfortunately i think this is probably the biggest obstacle for a playoff set up like that. in that type of scenerio we'd actually have a better chance at winning the national championship than a team like Georgia or Tennessee and i can't see that happening. even if we didn't win it all, we'd have more participation in the playoffs

Reaction Score
Don't worry. We'll have faster transportation develop in the near future.
This true. Obama now is working on a new fuel made from algae. He is authorizing $500,000,000.00 to reserect Solyndra as a new Bio-Fuel Comapny. Algae Bio-Gas is believed to have a much higher octane level than oil based fuel. Cars may go much faster and cleaner. Really this is True. So a UConn fan may drive to Boise in say - 20 minutes - someday.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Our football program has just become incredibly much more marketable with RGIII's words.

It's a great line to use in a poster or on a media guide.

That's. All. It. Is.

zls44

Reaction Score
And. Very. Effective.

To who? I mean, it's great, it doesn't hurt, but you can't go thinking it's more than the little throwaway line it is. I was at that game and it was really loud, but you have to remember something important with the statement...

Did you stop to think that maybe the reason he didn't say UT or Nebraska was that those crowds weren't loud BECAUSE THEY WERE PLAYING BAYLOR? Remember, 2 of his first 3 years there they stunk, and in the other, they got demolished by Ron Zook in a mid-level bowl game.

Reaction Score
For the #2 draft pick (a Heisman trophy winner) in the NFL to say he thought our school was amongst the coolest school to play at out of four mentioned (three being traditional powerhouses) and we had amongst the loudest crowds is marketing to no end.

NO NEED TO USE CAPS.

zls44

Reaction Score
For the #2 draft pick (a Heisman trophy winner) in the NFL to say he thought our school was amongst the coolest school to play at and we had amongst the loudest crowds is marketing to no end.

NO NEED TO USE CAPS.

Whatever you say, HuskyAl.

zls44

Reaction Score
BYU won a title, right? Do you think Joseph Smith could have imagined that?

BYU has a powerhouse TV deal and a huge international market.

BYU is the Rutgers of religion.

Reaction Score
BYU has a powerhouse TV deal and a huge international market.

BYU is the Rutgers of religion.
Precisely my point. Mormonism has a following of 14 million. NYC's population is larger than Connecticut. By about three times.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Did you stop to think that maybe the reason he didn't say UT or Nebraska was that those crowds weren't loud BECAUSE THEY WERE PLAYING BAYLOR? Remember, 2 of his first 3 years there they stunk, and in the other, they got demolished by Ron Zook in a mid-level bowl game.

It's a throwaway line and it'll have no impact on anything, but your attempt to explain it away is just dumb. Nebraska had 70,000 paying customers at their spring game last year...they don't sit on their hands for anyone.

It was a nice thing for the kid to say and a credit to the peeps who were in the stadium that day. That game didn't happen yesterday, it was seasons ago and with whatever else Griffin did afterwards, it stuck with him.

No way to spin that.

Reaction Score
It's a throwaway line and it'll have no impact on anything, but your attempt to explain it away is just dumb. Nebraska had 70,000 paying customers at their spring game last year...they don't sit on their hands for anyone.

It was a nice thing for the kid to say and a credit to the peeps who were in the stadium that day. That game didn't happen yesterday, it was seasons ago and with whatever else Griffin did afterwards, it stuck with him.

No way to spin that.

This. It's not nearly the big deal some are making of it, but it was a nice thing to say and a good thing to hear.

Reaction Score
Then why would the school president call it "fabulous"? Just listing the definition.

fab·u·lous
   [fab-yuh-luhs]
adjective
almost impossible to believe; incredible.
Informal. exceptionally good or unusual; marvelous; superb: a fabulous bargain; a fabulous new house.
told about in fables; purely imaginary: the fabulous exploits of Hercules.
known about only through myths or legends.

My friends in college told me I should have done sports marketing.

Reaction Score
The best rivalries are drivable games. If your fanbase doesn't come to the road games, there will be better rivalries elsewhere.

I didnt say best, it would be a great rivalry, how many drove to Pitt? Playing against MSU and Izzo would matter.

Reaction Score
Then why would the school president call it "fabulous"? Just listing the definition.

fab·u·lous
   [fab-yuh-luhs]
adjective
almost impossible to believe; incredible.
Informal. exceptionally good or unusual; marvelous; superb: a fabulous bargain; a fabulous new house.
told about in fables; purely imaginary: the fabulous exploits of Hercules.
known about only through myths or legends.

My friends in college told me I should have done sports marketing.
Let me try.

1.What else she supposed to say? They were kind words.

2.Language inflation. When I call something "awesome" I'm not literally in awe of it.

It was nice of him to say, but if you think recruits are going to come to UConn because of what some QB who may or may not make it in the NFL says, you're crazy.

Reaction Score
Question, though. If they really liked the kid enough to be influenced by him, wouldn't they go to Baylor?

Reaction Score
It would allow for UConn to be considered as well, at least. Highest awards in football go a long way. The national championship is awarded to the best team. The Heisman trophy is awarded to the best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom