ESPN Newest WNBA Mock Draft | The Boneyard

ESPN Newest WNBA Mock Draft

Reaction Score
Mock Draft

Big surprises in here. I’m not taking much stock into it but good for discussion.

I don’t see how Lou & Kalani go that low. You also can see by looking at the names in the 2nd & 3rd rounds, just how deep this draft is.

Reaction Score
Mock Draft

Big surprises in here. I’m not taking much stock into it but good for discussion.

I don’t see how Lou & Kalani go that low. You also can see by looking at the names in the 2nd & 3rd rounds, just how deep this draft is.

Same.....this one made me scratch my head.

Reaction Score
I thought Ionescu was a junior. What's up with that?

I'm surprised that KLS would go that low. She's 6'3", she can guard bigs, she hits from the outside. Not sure I'm buying this.

Interesting that there are a number of international players in the mix for the first round. Times changing?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Not surprised that Pheesa moved up. I sure hope the #9 doesn't work out this way. After her behavior earlier this season, I can't be on board.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thought Ionescu was a junior. What's up with that?
WNBA requires players to be at least 22, to have completed their college eligibility, to have graduated from a four-year college or to be four years removed from high school to be eligible for the draft.

Ionescu turns 22 on 12/6/19
Young turns 22 on 9/6/19

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Pheesa to Minny I like a lot. Reeves is one of the better WNBA coaches.

I can't see Arike to the Sun. Not a good fit. I think Lou goes higher, maybe to CT.

Good question if both Ionescu and Young come out. I know they can, but will they?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Given recent history, I think that anyone who drafts Ezi Magbegor has to assume that she will be unavailable in the 2020 season as the Aussie National Team demands her presence. I wonder if Sandy Brondello will even coach in Phoenix in 2020 if she is going to be to coach of the national team, but if she does, that might make it work out for Magbegor as well. The same issues apply to Alanna Smith of Stanford.

Even though the Sun could probably use Magbegor's (or for that matter Smith's) talents as a player, as a fan I would not want them to take the risk of their unavailability (nearly for certain) in 2020 and their possible resistance to playing stateside at all.

I will be very surprised if Ionescu is the #1 overall pick -- I think she has mobility and quickness issues that might make the WNBA a difficult league for her. I am also dubious that Anigwe will be drafted ahead of Lou, Pheesa, or Arike, as this draft shows.

Reaction Score
WNBA requires players to be at least 22, to have completed their college eligibility, to have graduated from a four-year college or to be four years removed from high school to be eligible for the draft.

Ionescu turns 22 on 12/6/19
Young turns 22 on 9/6/19

Huh. Is there any indication that Ionescu will leave for the pros? Did she begin school late or something?

Young is an excellent talent, though one at ND. Very impressive.

Reaction Score
Earlier in the season I would’ve said you’re crazy about some these picks and how they’re arranged, but now I think it’s a pretty good mock draft. How the season has progressed it makes sense to me. The only picks I might not agree with is the 10th pick because Mike Thibault always makes an unpopular pick and it always ends up working out. The other one is Gustafson at 12th, which Thibault might pick her at 10th or Jess Shepherd or Paris Kea; you never know with Thibault.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Arike can score but her defense is suspect. Lou is falling due to back injury. I doubt Brown will go that low. I really hope Jackie and Sabrina come back for their senior season. If they do i think it changes who the Aces take at #1. If they do take Sabrina—there will have to be some trades. Too many guards in Vegas.

Reaction Score
Inoescu is great, but will Bill take another guard? He has 3 amazing guards who he has to find minutes for

Reaction Score
A’ja has said numerous time SHE IS NOT A 5. If Bills wants to keep her happy, he may take McCowan or Brown. I still like Pheesa at the 4 and A’ja at the 5.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A’ja has said numerous time SHE IS NOT A 5. If Bills wants to keep her happy, he may take McCowan or Brown. I still like Pheesa at the 4 and A’ja at the 5.
The problem with A'ja at the 4 is that another big (Coates in college or Brown/McCowan in Vegas) will clog the lane and could make A'ja less effective. The goal is to enhance A'ja's play, not limit it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We know that Sabrina Ionescu and Jackie Young will turn 22 in 2019. As a result, they are draft eligible, to be explicit. There are fairly strong rumors that each will leave.

Destiny Slocum is 21 now. I don't know her birthdate, but she may in fact turn 22 this year as well.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
If the Connecticut Sun want to lose some fans...go ahead, pick Arike.

I'll still be a fan, just a much less happy one. Miller's a darn good coach, but his prowess on draft night has not been outstanding. The Sun have a pretty established roster at this point, I suspect that only Lexie Brown and Bri Jones could be displaced by a newcomer. For VERY different reasons, losing either would be pretty sad.

Reaction Score
We know that Sabrina Ionescu and Jackie Young will turn 22 in 2019. As a result, they are draft eligible, to be explicit. There are fairly strong rumors that each will leave.

Destiny Slocum is 21 now. I don't know her birthdate, but she may in fact turn 22 this year as well.

9/9, so she is also eligible: Destiny Dawn SLOCUM at the FIBA U19 Women’s World Championship 2015 - FIBA.basketball

FIBA is always the best place to check for players who have played for national teams since they tend to frown on players being too old in youth tournaments.

Reaction Score
I think Sabrina participated in their senior day . i think i saw a photo of her holding up her framed uniform

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Sabrina participated in their senior day . i think i saw a photo of her holding up her framed uniform

If she did I think that's pretty telling. I dont see a strong incentive to leave for either unless they win a title this year. Young would be a top POY candidate if she returns and a likely #1 or #2 draft pick. ND would be in rebuild mode, but shed also get her degree from a top university.

Ionescu strikes me as a player who wants to establish a legacy. Oregon will be a heavy title favorite next year if she returns, but there will be a sense of 'unfinished business' and a massive 'what if' if she doesnt win this year and goes pro. Especially if they miss the Final Four. Also not seeing Vegas as being an ideal fit with Plum/Jefferson/McBride there. Granted if she wins a starting spot they could be a title threat with A'ja/McBride so I may be contradicting myself there.

The only players of note who've left are:

Azure Stevens-a player who didnt appear to be happy with her role at UCONN, wanting to be more perimeter oriented and she had her degree.

Allisha Gray and Kaela Davis, both had their degree and a title and were top picks in a very weak draft. Both would've been much lower in the following draft.

Jewell Loyd, a player who struggled academically and was depressed at Notre Dame

Candace Parker, she already had her degree and 2 trophies/POY honors and was a lock for #1 pick

Maybe theyll break the trend of sticking it out in college but I think both miss out on huge opportunities (degree/chance to win a title) if they go pro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom