ESPN Newest WNBA Mock Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN Newest WNBA Mock Draft

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If I were Laimbeer, I would try package the #1 pick and make a trade to acquire another pick in 2020. Maybe trade #1 and a player to Indiana for the #3 pick in 2019 and the Fever's first round pick in 2020 (since Indiana likely will miss the playoffs again). Maybe trade #1 and a player to Indiana for the #5 pick in 2019 and Dallas's first round pick in 2020 (since the Wings likely will miss the playoffs, with Skylar Diggins-Smith missing the season for pregnancy and Liz Cambage missing the season because of her trade demand).

I don't disagree that it might be smart for Vegas to trade down, but the problem with trading down is that someone has to want to trade up.

Nobody is giving up a lottery pick next year for the privilege of moving up a couple spots unless there is a franchise-changing player available at #1. I don't think there is an obvious franchise-changer like A'ja, Stewie, or EDD in this draft.

And if such a player is available, why is the team that holds #1 ever trading that pick?

Indiana finished dead last and 9 games out of the playoffs. They have to know that they are likely to be in the 2020 lottery and more than 1 great player away from contention. Why would they ever give up their 2020 1st just to move up 2 spots?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I don't disagree that it might be smart for Vegas to trade down, but the problem with trading down is that someone has to want to trade up.

Nobody is giving up a lottery pick next year for the privilege of moving up a couple spots unless there is a franchise-changing player available at #1. I don't think there is an obvious franchise-changer like A'ja, Stewie, or EDD in this draft.

And if such a player is available, why is the team that holds #1 ever trading that pick?

Indiana finished dead last and 9 games out of the playoffs. They have to know that they are likely to be in the 2020 lottery and more than 1 great player away from contention. Why would they ever give up their 2020 1st just to move up 2 spots?

I gave examples of possible trades, from Las Vegas's perspective.

From Indiana's perspective, the team needs help almost everywhere...shooting, playmaking, presence, etc. With Kelsey Mitchell and Victoria Vivians, the team has two pieces for the future. But Candice Dupree and Cappie Pondexter are well on the downside of their respective careers, and Natalie Achonwa is a nice roleplayer but not a top three player on a good team.

I will give you two scenarios for Indiana.

First scenario:
Let's say that Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu declares for the draft. Indiana views her as a PG/playmaker in the Lindsay Whalen mold for the next decade. That would be a player for which to trade up...and Indiana could demand another player from Vegas as part of the trade who can help the team (e.g., Dearica Hamby) if it would surrender its lottery pick in 2020.

From Vegas's perspective, the team has Kelsey Plum and Moriah Jefferson, one of whom is sure to have All Star potential. And the team really wants Napheesa Collier at the four, next to A'ja Wilson. This way, the team gets the player it wants in 2019 and a lottery pick in 2020.

And from Indiana's perspective, it gets a potential star (and box office draw) in Ionescu, with its young core.

Second scenario:
Sabrina Ionescu does not declare for the draft. Vegas offers the #1 pick in 2019 plus Moriah Jefferson and Dearica Hamby for the #3 pick in 2019 plus Indiana's 2020 likely-lottery pick and Victoria Vivians.

Vegas finally has a starting lineup with balanced backcourt and frontcourt scoring and a great young core going forward -- Plum, McBride, Vivians, Collier, Wilson.

Indiana gets its point guard (Jefferson) and center (McCowan or Brown) of the future to pair with SG Kelsey Mitchell, while getting Hamby as a forward.

For both scenarios:
Alternatively (and in both scenarios, actually) Vegas could simply exclude Hamby from the trade and add a swap of picks in 2019, which would still give Indiana lottery pick in 2020...but with Vegas getting the ability to choose between the better of the two picks.

Additional note:
I only did the analysis for Indiana. Obviously, there may be another team looking to move up in the draft this year for which a trade package could be presented.

Reaction Score
"And in terms of minutes, Wilson played over 30 mpg, with most of them as the center. When Laimbeer did start a default center (JiSu Park, for example), it clogged down the offense because of the lack of spacing and shooting."

This isn't accurate. Wilson only played 30 minutes a game. JiSu Park, Swords, and Bone shared the minutes at Center averaging about 15 minutes per game each. Well Bone averaged a little over 10.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
This isn't accurate. Wilson only played 30 minutes a game. JiSu Park, Swords, and Bone shared the minutes at Center averaging about 15 minutes per game each. Well Bone averaged a little over 10.

^^ This is not accurate. If you had watched the games (which I did) and see who Wilson defended and where Wilson was positioned in the offense, she was playing center for most of her minutes.

Reaction Score
Connecticut will take Lou over Arike any day, Lou is a better all round player and she will fill the seats.
The Sun would take Arike IF they want to alienate their fans, I would go to a game just to boo!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The Sun would take Arike IF they want to alienate their fans, I would go to a game just to boo!

I don't doubt the ability of you or anyone else to hold a grudge.

However, I never thought that I would have Stef Dolson, Gabby Williams, and Diamond DeShields as 3 of my favorite players, but now that they are Chicago I've really warmed to all 3.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
^^ This is not accurate. If you had watched the games (which I did) and see who Wilson defended and where Wilson was positioned in the offense, she was playing center for most of her minutes.
I watched most of the games. She did most of her damage driving hitting 10 footers and driving to the basket. Who do you think was playing the 4 for the Aces most of the time? Again, Swords, Jin Su, and Bone shared minutes at the 5. Also, Aja only played 30 minutes a game. She did not play the 5 for most of those minutes let alone all which is what you said earlier.

Reaction Score
Beatrice Momprempeir is also eligible to declare early from Miami. Signs point toward she will as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

However, I never thought that I would have Stef Dolson, Gabby Williams, and Diamond DeShields as 3 of my favorite players, but now that they are Chicago I've really warmed to all 3.
I could easily cheer for Jackie Young and Brianna Turner after they graduate. Shepard is a possibility. Arike is a "Maybe." Mabrey is a "Hell, no." It's not so much where they are from. It's how they act. I've even warmed on Skylar over the past 5 years.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

First, nothing against you as a poster here. Always good to have different perspectives. That said, none of those three players ever attacked an ND player the way Arike attacked Crystal... more than once, clearly on purpose, and far outside the acceptable bounds of legitimate basketball plays.

As a Sun fan from day one, and a longtime season ticket holder, I don't care AT ALL what college our players went to. It's all about the quality of the person and the player. Arike would have a lot to prove to me (beyond statistics) before I could begin to be a real fan of hers.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Ha. I loathed Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning as college players.... loathed them. When my Charlotte Hornets drafted them in back to back years... they became my favorite NBA players

Beatrice Momprempeir is also eligible to declare early from Miami. Signs point toward she will as well.

What signs? I hope she doesnt declare.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I could easily cheer for Jackie Young and Brianna Turner after they graduate. Shepard is a possibility. Arike is a "Maybe." Mabrey is a "Hell, no." It's not so much where they are from. It's how they act. I've even warmed on Skylar over the past 5 years.
I could and probably will root for the first three. The last two? Not bloody likely.

Reaction Score

Does Chicago ever get warm? :D

Reaction Score
Anybody looking to draft Katie Lou has to consider her injury history. The WNBA will be much more physical than college. Lou's my favorite player, but that has to be a concern.

Reaction Score
and Aja does quite a bit of her work at 15 ' facing the basket for mid range / drives to the basket. She can thrive with a talented 5 with no problem.

She thrived with untalented 5’s next to her. Just think if she was working with a talented 5.

Remember, the rumor has been that Vegas has been involved in the Cambage trade rumors. She’s as big as it gets. Laimbeer likes to play big. So if Cambage doesn’t pan out, he’ll still want a talented big next to Wilson.

Reaction Score
Ha. I loathed Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning as college players.... loathed them. When my Charlotte Hornets drafted them in back to back years... they became my favorite NBA players

What signs? I hope she doesnt declare.
Theres an article on high post hoops pretty much putting her name out there for draft consideration as if she approved the publishing through Imani Mcgee.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I can understand Zo, but what did you have against LJ?

Oops, just remembered the Runnin' Rebels put a 30 point thrashing on your Dukies in the Title game. Maybe that was it? :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I can understand Zo, but what did you have against LJ?

Oops, just remembered the Runnin' Rebels put a 30 point thrashing on your Dukies in the Title game. Maybe that was it? :rolleyes:

They should have saved a few of those 30 points for the matchup in the following year's Final 4 :cool:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They should have saved a few of those 30 points for the matchup in the following year's Final 4 :cool:

Nah. the fix was in the next year in the rematch. Remember the photo of most of the team chillin' in a hot tub with a character named Richie "The Fixer" Perry?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom