ESPN New Recruiting Class Rankings after Azzi Commitment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN New Recruiting Class Rankings after Azzi Commitment

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
North Carolina's and Uconn's class ratings were both suspect with ESPN vs. others. Uconn should have been number 2 before and 1 after, but ESPN rated SC players higher and Uconn players lower than most of the other rating services.

South Carolina's class will also be #1 at ASGR and with Dan Olsen.

Blue Star and Prospects Nation will have UConn first.

The rankings are very close either way.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In my opinion, the S.C. recruits, other than Rivers and maybe Feagin, are over-ranked by HoopGurlz. I think Deberry is under-ranked and Poffenbarger is severely under-ranked. I think we have the #1 class, but lets see how it works out on the court. Azzi by herself should be the #2 class. Of the S.C. recruits, I would have liked Rivers.
3 of 4 UCONN 2021 recruits (Saylor-shoulder, Amari-thumb and Azzi-knee) were injured during critical evaluations periods. Ironically Caroline Ducharme fully recover from a knee injury to rise significantly. Ultimately it will not matter since none of these kids are concerned about their rankings.

Reaction Score
This discussion simply shows how starved we fans are for some action.

Recruit rankings were exciting when UConn was on the way up but we've seen firsthand how some of our great recruits didn't pan out as expected and how some other schools were able to win with lower ranked recruits. It is always about how they fit together and how well they accept roles.

So, I say, just sit back and relax and let Geno and the staff create the kind of powerhouse all here hoped we'd have if we were able to sign Bueckers, Fudd, DuCharme, et al.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This discussion simply shows how starved we fans are for some action.

Recruit rankings were exciting when UConn was on the way up but we've seen firsthand how some of our great recruits didn't pan out as expected and how some other schools were able to win with lower ranked recruits. It is always about how they fit together and how well they accept roles.

So, I say, just sit back and relax and let Geno and the staff create the kind of powerhouse all here hoped we'd have if we were able to sign Bueckers, Fudd, DuCharme, et al.
Wait what? Great recruits would be a Top 5 type or Top 3 type. What Top 5/3 recruit for UConn has not “panned out”? Only Chrystal at #3 did not make All American but hardly her fault for us not winning a title in her 4 years. Baylor won a title with highly rated Brown and Cox. ND had Arike and Sheppard, SC had Wilson. So who exactly won with less heralded talent????:confused:

Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't think ASGR ranks S. Carolina #1. S. Carolina has only one in ASGR top10, while UConn has 3 in the top 10.

Those are the rankings from February. The updated ones are much stronger for SC just like they are at ESPN and PBR.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If you use combined rankings. (Bluestar, Prospect, Hoopgurlz, ASGR, Prep)

UCONN
#1 Azzi Fudd
#4 Amari DeBerry
#8 Caroline Ducharme
#15 Saylor Poffenbarger

S. Carolina
#2 Saniya Rivers
#6 Sania Feagin
#10 Raven Johnson
#30 Bree Hall

Looks like it is easily UCONN.

Reaction Score
LOL, dont forget ESPN is using a new ranking service, so dont be too surprised if Azzi Fudd Also drops from the number one position now that she has officially chosen to attend UCONN.. :) After the previous movement in the 20-21 class, nothing else would surprise me... just saying.
I am amazed that Azzi has not dropped to 3-7 in the ESPN rankings! They must have figured that they could still keep SC as the number 1 class without dropping her so they didn’t. I expect any day now to hear that Ice Brady has dropped out of the top ten for 22. ESPN has become a caricature!

Reaction Score
3 of 4 UCONN 2021 recruits (Saylor-shoulder, Amari-thumb and Azzi-knee) were injured during critical evaluations periods. Ironically Caroline Ducharme fully recover from a knee injury to rise significantly. Ultimately it will not matter since none of these kids are concerned about their rankings.
I guess I would have to question whether a recruit should lose her rank because of an injury? Maybe they could put an asterisk next to injured players but imo they should not change their ranking for anything but on court performance.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The new updated one does not have Azzi in UConn so not sure who is the #1 class ranking.

ASGR's update came out on November 5th. Azzi announced on the 11th.

ASGR has UConn's class 1-3-9-27 & South Carolina's class 2-4-5-29

I suppose McCormick could still put UConn #1 depending on how much he values Fudd.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Funny how people get worked up by class rankings....they're utterly meaningless and the top ranked class almost always winds up with multiple transfers and rarely wins titles:

2018: #1 Class was Baylor, 2 of the 5 have transferred. #2 was UCONN and both are still there.

2017: #1 Class was Tennessee, 2 of the 4 have transferred. #2 was UCONN and none of those players are on the Huskies anymore in what should be their senior season.

2016: #1 was Maryland, 3 of their 6 transferred, including their top 2 recruits. #2 was Baylor, 1 of their 3 transferred. #3 was Oregon and 4 of their 7 transferred.

2015: #1 was Duke...their top recruit left after a year and 2 others eventually transferred meaning just 1 of the 4 stayed all 4 years. #2 was Louisville who had 3 of their 5 transfer.

2014: #1 was UCLA, 4 of 5 stayed all 4 years. #2 was South Carolina and 2 of their 5 transferred.

2013: #1 was North Carolina, all 4 transferred by the end of their sophomore year. #2 was Duke, 3 of the 4 stayed all 4 years.

Ironically the only #1 class since 2012 to reach a Final Four was Baylor's in 2018, in which only 1 of their freshman had any sort of impactful role during their season.

It's great to be excited for incoming classes, especially when you have a lot of talented kids on board...but looking at it through a realistic eye, both SC and UCONN have some serious logjams for playing time and while it's fun to be ranked the #1 recruiting class, it is usually meaningless in terms of team success in the long run.

Reaction Score
Funny how people get worked up by class rankings....they're utterly meaningless and the top ranked class almost always winds up with multiple transfers and rarely wins titles:

2018: #1 Class was Baylor, 2 of the 5 have transferred. #2 was UCONN and both are still there.

2017: #1 Class was Tennessee, 2 of the 4 have transferred. #2 was UCONN and none of those players are on the Huskies anymore in what should be their senior season.

2016: #1 was Maryland, 3 of their 6 transferred, including their top 2 recruits. #2 was Baylor, 1 of their 3 transferred. #3 was Oregon and 4 of their 7 transferred.

2015: #1 was Duke...their top recruit left after a year and 2 others eventually transferred meaning just 1 of the 4 stayed all 4 years. #2 was Louisville who had 3 of their 5 transfer.

2014: #1 was UCLA, 4 of 5 stayed all 4 years. #2 was South Carolina and 2 of their 5 transferred.

2013: #1 was North Carolina, all 4 transferred by the end of their sophomore year. #2 was Duke, 3 of the 4 stayed all 4 years.

Ironically the only #1 class since 2012 to reach a Final Four was Baylor's in 2018, in which only 1 of their freshman had any sort of impactful role during their season.

It's great to be excited for incoming classes, especially when you have a lot of talented kids on board...but looking at it through a realistic eye, both SC and UCONN have some serious logjams for playing time and while it's fun to be ranked the #1 recruiting class, it is usually meaningless in terms of team success in the long run.
2012 UConn was #1 class and all three stayed, and they all have 4 NC rings in hand.
Sad thing is we will have no senior night this year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Blue Star has UConn #1 in 2021 class, with 3 of the top 10 players. S. Caroline only has one at #6.

View attachment 61492
Keep in mind that Blue Star = Mike Flynn = Philly Belles. (He runs both organizations) Amari’s AAU team is the Philly Belles.

None of the ranking services are without bias, mostly unconscious. West coast services rank west coast kids higher because they’re more familiar with them. I would say ditto Blue Star.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
2012 UConn was #1 class and all three stayed, and they all have 4 NC rings in hand.
Sad thing is we will have no senior night this year.

True, but I don't think it's relevant to 2020/2021 since 2013 is the class where transfer culture took off and hasn't looked back. Of the top 20 recruits from the 2011 class, only 3 transferred. From 2012's top 20, 3 transferred and one went pro after 3 years.

Then comes 2013 who had 10 of their top 20 recruits transfer, including 6 of the top 8 recruits. 2014 had 6 of the top 20, 2015 had 9 of the top 20 who played college basketball who transferred or left (not counting Zandalasini who never came), and 2016 had 10/20 I believe.

We're fully immersed in the transfer culture era, especially with the 1 time transfer waiver being granted and taking effect next season. I'm not speculating that anyone in particular will or will not transfer, but in recent history, getting the #1 class often means more transfers than it does Final Fours and Championships.

Reaction Score
When I see how many have transferred from some of the top recruiting classes, you start to realize how relatively important incoming transfers are becoming. In addition although it may seem like a complete loss when we don't get a key target, being in the final group still has some value, because who knows you might get another chance.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When I see how many have transferred from some of the top recruiting classes, you start to realize how relatively important incoming transfers are becoming. In addition although it may seem like a complete loss when we don't get a key target, being in the final group still has some value, because who knows you might get another chance.

I am not worried about transfers out of our Program. If they manage to be on the projected development plan where they show continued improvement and growth, they wont transfer. If not, it is better for all concerned to look for a better fit.

I really do not see us going the transfer route again. It was hard enough to integrate the few transfers we had when they were able to acclimate in a sit out year. Since the transfer route is now "instantaneous", incoming players will basically have to unlearn everything from their old school and learn the UConn way immediately. That is not easy.

It does seem however that we should continue our international recruiting since these players seem to fit in much easier with their basketball background than your general US college transfer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom