ESPN matches the deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN matches the deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
you and HFD are such polar opposites. HFD always takes the long term big picture outlook and you take the immediate short sighted picture. The reality, well in my hopefully medium
you and HFD are such polar opposites. HFD always takes the long term big picture outlook and you take the immediate short sighted picture. The reality, well in my hopefully medium sighted picture, is this sucks for now but CR is not over and this will only be a speed bump.

sighted picture, is this sucks for now but CR is not over and this will only be a speed bump.

Actually HFD and Nelson go hand in hand. One thinks the AD and president are killing the program. The other has already called the death time.

When we do get to the other side watch how fast they forget what they said.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's not as much as the women's deal with SNY and CBS but the women don't have to subsidize football.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
$130M? What happened to $20M per year?

First year is $10 million only for basketball and then $20 million per year for both sports after that for six more.

What I don't get is this. Next year, the Big East basketball is only worth $10 million according to this contract which I'm pretty sure is well less than $1 million per team for the year. But in the following years, the C7 is going to be getting $3 million per team per year from Fox Sports??? Why? Do they think UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, USF, SMU and Houston are diluting the value of Depaul, Providence, Seton Hall, etc?

Something doesn't add up. Either Fox is going to be wildly overpaying or the Big East is being drastically underpaid next year.

Reaction Score
Enjoy this season in hoops, because there is no way for UConn to compete at a national level in men's hoops or football with a TV contract like this one. UConn is finished.
WTF are you talking about.....UConn is finished because of a crappy espn deal? Are kids going to stop coming to UConn to play BB and FB.....so we have to work a little harder until situation improves. It sucks the BE imploded, so we dominate #*king league and when the smoke clears we'll still be standing. Let's give it some time before we hit the eject button. CR will continue to wreak havoc and we'll get an invite....until then screw it and play ball.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Something doesn't add up. Either Fox is going to be wildly overpaying or the Big East is being drastically underpaid next year.

Fox is overpaying to secure content.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The contract is nothing short of awful.

The only thing that would have made it even more awful is if the games were on NBC's cable channel.

Not looking to assign blame nor implicate that someone else could have done better, but it's time to let Aresco go. He was hired to get a television contract and I guess technically he did do that.

Now, they can thank him for all of his hard work and hire someone who is not a complete towering inferno of failure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The MONEY is not the issue.

I want to be certain we have the exposure ... the Big Monday spot. If that isn't what this is, then NBC has the capacity to build a whole better mousetrap. And, maybe the bottom line needs to be a mix of both.

Instead of Big Monday in the 7:00pm slot they could make it UConn Monday. Alternate a home game, an away game and a women's game in 3-week cycles. The money would still go to the league but we would get great exposure.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you can forget about Big Monday.

Conferences with schools like Central Florida, Tulane and SMU do not get Big Mondays or Terrific Tuesdays or even Wacky Wednesdays. We get the 9 pm slot on ESPNU.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wow. I don't even have the words.

ESPN has acquired us for less than 2 million per year per team. We won't even get the main channel exposure, and they will sub-license us to FOX1 (wherever the hell on the box that is) for a profit that we won't see a dime of. So we'll get $#itty money, $#itty exposure, $#itty timeslots, and no promotion by our primary tv partner. Truly craptastic...:(

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I suppose there is still some work to be done here to insure the exposure aspect of it, in order to get the presidents' "buy-in", so perhaps there is a marginally less dark lining on this dark cloud:

"ESPN matched the financial aspect, sources said. However, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco must be satisfied ESPN's deal matches NBC Sports Network's offer in all facets. Once that is concluded, the Big East presidents must approve the new deal. They could vote on accepting the deal as early as this weekend, sources said."

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you can forget about Big Monday.

Conferences with schools like Central Florida, Tulane and SMU do not get Big Mondays or Terrific Tuesdays or even Wacky Wednesdays. We get the 9 pm slot on ESPNU.
It blows but UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, S Fla, Houston is not crap and some games will find their way to espn/espn 2, especially if teams are ranked. Also we'll have non-conf games that I'm sure some of which will be against "attractive" opponents. IF we play more than a season or 2 with this group would be surprised.

Reaction Score
It's pretty sad when A-Rod could have taken one year of his salary and bought our conference's TV rights for a full year...and have money left over to blow on more PEDs and muscular women.

Who ever would have imagined 18 months ago that we would be where we are. It literally could not be worse both from a conference and a TV revenue standpoint... and then you have the story of Rutgers....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It blows but UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, S Fla, Houston is not crap and some games will find their way to espn/espn 2, especially if teams are ranked. Also we'll have 12+ non-conf games that I'm sure some of which will be against "attractive" opponents. IF we play more than a season or 2 with this group would surprised.
The reality of the contract has the feel of the dirt beginning to cover the casket.

We're going to have become Boise St and dominate.

Still excited about next season no matter what.

Reaction Score
A few more details....
"Sources said CBS also will extend its men's basketball rights with the Big East, paying the league about an additional $2 million annually. That will bring the Big East's total media rights value to about $22 million annually, starting in 2014 and, based on a 12-team league, worth about $1.8 million per school annually.....(or 2.2 million for current 10 teams)

Some league members, most notably UConn and Cincinnati, continue to lobby to join other leagues.
Cincinnati president Santa Ono recently sent each ACC president video descriptions of the Bearcats' $70 million upcoming stadium renovation and holiday cards in hopes of helping land an ACC invitation, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported Tuesday."

I think we'll make more off all the exit fees...............silver lining.

Reaction Score
1.8 million. That is about what P makes. Lets hope somehow we end up with the decent exposure of NBC . Eh who cares anymore.

Reaction Score
Winning does solve a lot of problems...just hope there is someone paying attention when we do all this winning. What I fear most is not being able to schedule good non conference games in football and basketball. Winning those will be the only thing that keeps UConn relevant but if we can't even get a game with Pitt or Syracuse in years to come we are truly screwed.

I don't worry as much in basketball because no matter what league we're in we have a good enough product to get a seed in the the big dance, there we can shine regardless of the rest of the league. But football, if we get into a situation where there is zero possibility of a BCS bowl game then there are problems. The 2013 season is without doubt the most important in UConn history. It may be the last chance for the Huskies to show that they can compete. Somebody up in Storrs needs to sound the alarm and notify the fan base that they need to show up this year like never before. If the state of Connecticut wants Div-1 football they need to show it this year.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
uconn will never see a dime from that contract. no worries, were not part of it.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
uconn will never see a dime from that contract. no worries, were not part of it.

Please stop saying this crap unless you can name published sources otherwise. Unless there is an apocalyptic event before BB season next year we absolutely will be collecting money from this contract.

Is it possible that all sorts of CR takes place and UConn finds a new home for 2014? Sure but nobody knows jack as to what is actually going to happen so please stop saying things that cannot be proven to be true as stated fact when it is absolute conjecture on your part.

Reaction Score
So now when the ACC gets raided ESPN will pay the ACC to NOT expand, ESPN benefits financially from keeping the New Big East together. Why would they want us to upgrade when it means they would have to pay us more money? ESPN will make more of a profit from NBE programming then they will from ACC programming.

Herbst should vote to go with NBC. Competition will benefit us in the long run.

Exactly my #1 concern. The ACC will never be allowed to offer a BE team to replace any raided teams. Why would they. They'd be more likely to oversee the destruction of the ACC offering the remnants peanuts to join the NBE.

Reaction Score
[e="Jimdish255, post: 511682, member: 137"]Exactly my #1 concern. The ACC will never be allowed to offer a BE team to replace any raided teams. Why would they. They'd be more likely to oversee the destruction of the ACC offering the remnants peanuts to join the NBE.[/quote]

Espn is going to pay to see Duke UConn. End of story. They will make more money for the rights to watch great match ups. It does ESPN no good for UConn to be irrelevant. UConn draws great ratings otherwise they wouldn't be on ESPN every single week.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
UConn is part of this contract - as is Cincy.

But Dan is right. Putting games on NBC's cable channel is like being shot into outer space.

...as opposed to ESPN3 exclusives, and even worse, a now-non-existent FOX1? The Big12 almost commited suicide over FOX, and they were on RSNs that actually exist!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Survival as a top AD is now dependent on getting out of this conference. The clock has officially started.

Without regular ESPN exposure, even the BB program is in trouble. FB would be doomed.

If I hear Gonzaga one more time I'm going to puke. Gonzaga is a huge step down from where we are in BB.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Exactly my #1 concern. The ACC will never be allowed to offer a BE team to replace any raided teams. Why would they. They'd be more likely to oversee the destruction of the ACC offering the remnants peanuts to join the NBE.
So who would they choose to replace the departed teams? Let's say 4 teams leave the ACC. Hypothetically the teams being mentioned are FSU, UNC, UVA and either Clemson/GT. You think ESPN would leave the ACC at 10 with a weakened FB AND BBall product? So they're just gonna say, "Well we have UConn, Cincy, and USF on the cheap so let's not let the ACC take them. Let's have them look at C-USA or the Sun Belt. Hey ODU and UNC-Charlotte are up and comers. They are totally worth $17 mill a year!".....Sure.....ESPN isn't dumb and they also have no total control over the ACC. In all likelihood if all the departures being speculated actually happen, they'll be looking at UConn, Cincy, and probably USF to come in. They know they're out there and willing to jump at the word "Go". The ACC isn't too concerned on replacing the schools they're eventually going to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom