ESPN ignores UConn again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN ignores UConn again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Part of the reason many here like to poke fun at ESPN's lopsided rankings is because Muffet McGraw claimed we always got favorable treatment there. No one really cares, I'm sure. But there is some little bit of amusement to be gotten from them.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
ESPN ignoring UConn again! What is it gonna take to get some positive attention from them?!

I'm ready to give those hacks a piece of my mind! So I went to their WBB page ... can anyone see the link where I can send my complaints to?

1669050632226.png

Reaction Score
I will wait until Rory Harmon plays at full strength but I admit Shaylee Gonzalez looks pretty disappointing to me and I know there is trouble if you expect Morris to be your best scorer
Utah Ute fan here that watched a lot of Gonzalez at BYU. While acknowledging the WCC is not the Big 12, as large as she loomed for the Cougars, and as lost as they look without her, I'm surprised at her lack of impact with the 'Horns.

Reaction Score
Utah Ute fan here that watched a lot of Gonzalez at BYU. While acknowledging the WCC is not the Big 12, as large as she loomed for the Cougars, and as lost as they look without her, I'm surprised at her lack of impact with the 'Horns.
She looked better last season, I thought. I'm sure part of it is just learning a new system, and being thrust into the main role suddenly. I have a feeling that in January, when Rory is back in the lineup, Shalylee will find her footing and be a major contributor.

Reaction Score
Part of the reason many here like to poke fun at ESPN's lopsided rankings is because Muffet McGraw claimed we always got favorable treatment there. No one really cares, I'm sure. But there is some little bit of amusement to be gotten from them.
Please be kind to ESPN. Remember, ESPN was solely responsible for Maya Moore’s decision to attend UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not everything is instantaneous.
  • Considering ESPN controls ABC's sports content, one would have to fully expect the Stanford-South Carolina game to get top billing. And why not? OT on a Sunday afternoon?
  • As noted there are business concerns intertwined with coverage, as noted by many posters, both in the past and on this thread.
  • However, M.A. Voepel duly noted UConn's team and individual performances for what they're worth.

(and I might add the Irish are up to 6th from 10th.)
The small print hurts my eyes…:confused:

Reaction Score
Don't forget media is all about the number$. To post video of teams with other affiliation costs money and is often restricted. Fox can post virtually anything related to UConn it wishes. ESPN can do reports but related video is not free.

Kat

Reaction Score
Posters here going on about supposed ESPN bias is really reaching for something that does not exist. What does exist, as far as media bias goes, is how women's basketball gets the short end of the stick in coverage, especially in the sports sections of newspapers.

Reaction Score
I just wait for whatever ESPN has to be posted on the Boneyard..3 or 4 times. lol Patience, Grasshopper.Head bang

Reaction Score
Posters here going on about supposed ESPN bias is really reaching for something that does not exist. What does exist, as far as media bias goes, is how women's basketball gets the short end of the stick in coverage, especially in the sports sections of newspapers.
Yup. For me, it’s also the inadequate video coverage of games. How often is there a controversial call and we get no replay to understand what happened? Or the commentators don’t even know what a call was about, or if they find out we don’t hear about it, or only much later. And we rarely get any graphic of scoring or fouls — I was thrilled when espn finally decided to give a pop up graphic of whoever scored a basket. That was better than nothing. Compare that to a men’s game, where we’re flooded by information and replays.

Reaction Score
Maybe the game being played on FOX had a little impact?
Right on! They just aren't going to publicize a game that wasn't on their network. I will say ABC who is part of ESPN had a lot of the UConn game highlights at halftime of the SC/Stanford game.

Reaction Score
Look, I love the UConn women, but are you seriously claiming that as many people want to read about women's basketball as MLB, NFL, and NBA ? They don't. That's just a fact. Expecting the media to give equal treatment to all sports and completely ignore the actual interest in their audience is just not being realistic.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Some would say this is only because she went to UConn.

and others would tell them that they're all wet. loony tunes.
rebecca lobo is a broadcast giant. accomplished, experienced, and with a large following in sports. never had any sharp edges on which the angry could hang their hate. a pro.
she has the job becuz it's in espn's business interest to have her do it.

Reaction Score
I mean Espn doesn't show big east games or Uconn home games. They're going to favor sec/acc network too.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
ESPN/ABC also have ownership of the SEC and B10 networks. ESPN runs the Women's tournament, it is their best financial interest that teams and conferences they have a stake in do good and get maximum press.

Reaction Score
ESPN/ABC also have ownership of the SEC and B10 networks. ESPN runs the Women's tournament, it is their best financial interest that teams and conferences they have a stake in do good and get maximum press.
Doesn't Fox own BTN? I've noticed a lack of football coverage of the B1G this season, and I wonder if that's because the TV contracts didn't go their way?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Doesn't Fox own BTN? I've noticed a lack of football coverage of the B1G this season, and I wonder if that's because the TV contracts didn't go their way?
I stand corrected, the ACC network is a ESPN product.

On December 14, 2017, 21st Century Fox announced it would sell a majority of its assets to The Walt Disney Company, owners of ESPN, SEC Network and the then-upcoming ACC Network, in a transaction valued at over $52 billion. 21st Century Fox's stake in the Big Ten Network was not included in the deal and was spun off to the significantly downsized Fox Corporation, along with the Fox network, Fox News, Fox Business, FS1, and FS2.[19] The deal was approved by Disney and Fox shareholders on July 27, 2018, and was completed on March 19, 2019.

Reaction Score
If you register on ESPN you can edit your profile and select your fave teams then those teams usually appear first from the top and flow into your news. It’s helpful but not perfect.

Reaction Score
If a 1 vs 2 matchup that goes to overtime isn't worth a lot of hype, then there is a problem. I'm fine with just reporting the UConn score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom