ESPN CBB Greatest of All Time Bracket | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN CBB Greatest of All Time Bracket

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Kareem and Walton were the best college forwards I ever saw. But Len Bias was real close, and he didn't get a single mention. However Kareem gets my vote for #1 simply because he had the single most unstoppable shot in the history of BB, the Sky Hook.

Reaction Score
Kareem and Walton were the best college forwards I ever saw. But Len Bias was real close, and he didn't get a single mention. However Kareem gets my vote for #1 simply because he had the single most unstoppable shot in the history of BB, the Sky Hook.
I believe even John Wooden was more impressed with Walton. When asked about Kareem leaving, he said wait until you see who is coming in...

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
what kinda tomfoolery is this?
Agree. This was a foolish exercise. A better use of time would have been to select the top 64 teams, all-time, for both men and women. Then, on the women's side, you might have had the 2016 UConn team facing the 2012 Baylor team or the 1998 Tennessee team in the finals.

But who needs ESPN? There's more than enough knowledge right here to construct such a bracket. Have at it.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I believe even John Wooden was more impressed with Walton. When asked about Kareem leaving, he said wait until you see who is coming in...
Walton was a better all around player, and he was better defensively. But when you needed a basket Kareem was above all else. Now, why was there no mention of the greatest athlete to every play the forward position, Wilt Chamberlain?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Could not believe it when I went to their Twitter account and saw men pitted against women. Tone deaf mackaroons. Womens bracket and mens bracket could have been fun. This is just insulting.

Reaction Score
Agree. This was a foolish exercise. A better use of time would have been to select the top 64 teams, all-time, for both men and women. Then, on the women's side, you might have had the 2016 UConn team facing the 2012 Baylor team or the 1998 Tennessee team in the finals.

But who needs ESPN? There's more than enough knowledge right here to construct such a bracket. Have at it.

UCONN 2002 team belongs in the discussion.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Personally I'd rather do a bracket of top desserts... or sandwiches :p

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Could they have made it any harder to vote? You have to vote thru twitter? Can't vote when you click on the ESPN link? Good grief. How many people over 50 actually have a twitter account??? Is twitter giving ESPN a kickback or something as they try to drive traffic to the site??

Sue Bird an 8 seed and Shaq a 9 seed? Sue getting slaughtered. No Ray Allen? But Tyler Hansbrouh and Chris Jackson in the brackets? Silly.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I can't help but feel for ESPN and other all-sports networks. With sports canceled virtually everywhere on the planet, they're reaching for ideas.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I get phone alerts from ESPN every time something Duke related happens...... got 2 alerts about this poll. One was a matchup pitting JJ Redick vs Sheryl Swoopes... and the other was Grant Hill vs Rebecca Lobo :confused: How ridiculous it is to pit men vs women.

I hope cherries jubilee gets a 1-seed.

Never had that... had to google to see what it consists of. I'm not a huge cherry fan... but sounds like it would be tasty on top of a piece of pound cake or chocolate cake.

Reaction Score
Huh? He's a given. Tremendous team ball player and winner.
He had the single greatest championship game ever when he was a junior in 1973. He was 21-22 from the field and had 44 points. He also had four baskets disallowed on the basis of the no dunk rule back then ( put into effect because of Alcindor) or he would have been 25-26 plus two free throws for 52 points. When he was healthy in the NBA he led Portland to a title. Then he developed foot problems. What you saw in Boston in his latter years was like watching Jordan when he played for Washington. He was the best college player I ever saw. Yes, even better than Alcindor.

Reaction Score
Len Bias was my favorite male college player ever. I don't understand how they took college players who played one year and stick them in ahead of a player like Bias.

Reaction Score
Walton was a better all around player, and he was better defensively. But when you needed a basket Kareem was above all else. Now, why was there no mention of the greatest athlete to every play the forward position, Wilt Chamberlain?
He played center but you are right on the money. He was literally the whole track and field team for Kansas. He won the high jump three years in a row, ran the 100 yard dash, won the triple jump and broad jump, and even threw the shot in the Big 12 Championships. His basketball team only made it to the finals one year losing in overtime or double overtime to North Carolina after he fouled out. BTW, he high jumped 6'6" in 8th grade!

JordyG

Reaction Score
He played center but you are right on the money. He was literally the whole track and field team for Kansas. He won the high jump three years in a row, ran the 100 yard dash, won the triple jump and broad jump, and even threw the shot in the Big 12 Championships. His basketball team only made it to the finals one year losing in overtime or double overtime to North Carolina after he fouled out. BTW, he high jumped 6'6" in 8th grade!
You're just so right The problem goes beyond recency bias. Most people today never saw him play. To many he's just a legend. But to those of us who saw this guy he was a marvel. IMHO he was the greatest athlete to ever play in the Association. All you need do is look at the highlights of him running the floor and your eyes pop out of your head. Yes, even The Greek Freak comes in a distant second...and Wilt is not on the list.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I get phone alerts from ESPN every time something Duke related happens...... got 2 alerts about this poll. One was a matchup pitting JJ Redick vs Sheryl Swoopes... and the other was Grant Hill vs Rebecca Lobo :confused: How ridiculous it is to pit men vs women.

Never had that... had to google to see what it consists of. I'm not a huge cherry fan... but sounds like it would be tasty on top of a piece of pound cake or chocolate cake.
If you've never had it you're in for a real treat...said JordyG after having 2 wonderful red velvet cupcakes today.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Dumbest thing ever. The winner will be either Kareem or Walton. There should have been a separate bracket for the men and women.

The idea was a good one, but it lacked imagination. It can never be fair or equitable to mix gender in a selection of this nature and magnitude. It would have been a lot more interesting if half of the field were women and the other half men. Compare women to to women and men to men. Have men present the men, and current and former women coaches present the women. A lot of great HOF women were left out of the field.

Seth Greenberg selected Alcindor over a woman because they changed the rules (no more dunking) because of him. No woman in the field would have had a chance against that kind of thinking and perception.:(

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
He had the single greatest championship game ever when he was a junior in 1973. He was 21-22 from the field and had 44 points. He also had four baskets disallowed on the basis of the no dunk rule back then ( put into effect because of Alcindor) or he would have been 25-26 plus two free throws for 52 points. When he was healthy in the NBA he led Portland to a title. Then he developed foot problems. What you saw in Boston in his latter years was like watching Jordan when he played for Washington. He was the best college player I ever saw. Yes, even better than Alcindor.

We could start a thread about the best college player you ever saw in person (men & women). And who you think was the best ever in college (whether you saw them or not) men & women. Ionescu and Stewart had better be in that discussion. They both have records no other college player has. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Stewie the only player to be named NCAA tournament MVP 4 times? That’s the record I’m thinking of for her, and of course the 2k, 1k, 1k record for Ionescu along with the 25 career triple doubles.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom