ESPN article - UCONN done chasing other conferences for realignment | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ESPN article - UCONN done chasing other conferences for realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
First, I'm gonna beg we end this thread...please, please please can we move on...Time will tell about most of the items being argued. Next, I'm gonna threaten... if this thread doesn't end I'm gonna post pictures of me and meyers in speedos, showing most of our tattoos..third, I'm gonna offer bribes.... if you guys will please move to a different topic I promise free drinks for all at the tourny at the Mohegan Sun in March..... meyers has it right two or three posts above this one.... Go Huskies..!!

Dude, if you don't like it or are not interested, don't click on it! The overarching rule of all message boards.

Reminds me of people who click into soccer threads to say how much they hate soccer and that we should stop talking about it. Why can't we discuss what we want within the rules?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
intlznc....1. You are right, post as much as you want...that is your right...
2. I love soccer, grew up in Brasil, played and coached my whole life...
3. I will sweeten my offer to you by throwing in 3 vowels....
4. meyers, this is an emergency...lol

Reaction Score

Wow you 2 having fun with this........intlzncster was fine with his posts. What's the issue?

Reaction Score
I can't believe what I'm seeing in this thread. I didn't think it was possible, but there really are two people who think losing Notre Dame and replacing it with Central Florida is a good deal.

You can make that three. But for purely selfish reasons... not sensible UCONN WBB reasons. This will give me a chance to see two UCONN games this year. Assuming they are playing home/away with both Florida schools. Not sure how good CF is, but USF generally gives UCONN a good game. They made N.D. go to overtime to beat them last year.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think the attitude of this board is slow acting poison.

Really? You post in one thread only and based on the responses to this one thread you determine the attitude of this entire board? Wow...just wow. Might as well pack it in. Your job is done.

Important to note:

What is being dissed is UConn's placement in the AAC which is a crappy conference, and not UConn, which is a great team and supported by this board which includes interestingly enough, fans of other teams.

You are not making friends with the fans of this board by insulting them with silly statements such as the one above.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Well, you have certainly endeared yourself towards me. Telling me I'm right and also that you love soccer all in one post! :D

Feel free to chime in on the soccer threads on the Men's board. Usually when there is a (underwhelming) US National team game or a big international match (Brazil vs Spain).

Speaking of Brazil, I'm very excited to see Neymar's next season with Barcelona and Messi. I don't see how that attack can be defended or stopped.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wow you 2 having fun with this........intlzncster was fine with his posts. What's the issue?

Don't think that was sarcasm, ma. And never call out someone who tells me I'm right. That is always acceptable, no matter the context. :D

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Yeah, gnashing teeth is a really good way to show support of your team. Most of you should take your vallium before you post.

What an irrational statement to have been made.

Once again...we support UConn as many, many threads on this forum indicate strongly - and we do not support the placement of our team in a lousy conference - and there is another forum that is set up just to hash this business out.

You are new and making unkind and inaccurate statements about the posters on this board just because something they are posting is not to your liking. Your best defense is to be offensive I guess, but it will not make you many friends.

Reaction Score
Really? You post in one thread only and based on the responses to this one thread you determine the attitude of this entire board? Wow...just wow. Might as well pack it in. Your job is done.

Important to note:

What is being dissed is UConn's placement in the AAC which is a crappy conference, and not UConn, which is a great team and supported by this board which includes interestingly enough, fans of other teams.

You are not making friends with the fans of this board by insulting them with silly statements such as the one above.

I have pretty much decided that I am not going to win the Miss Congeniality award. However, I feel that dissing UConn's conference is dissing UConn. This is especially ironic since we just left the Big East where outside of Notre Dame, not a single team had ever stopped UConn from winning the Season BE championship, or the BE Tourney, or both. The BE had some of the crappiest women's teams in the world, such as Seton Hall. Yeah, that carries over to the AAC. So what is different? But you are worried about Memphis, which actually has a decent men's team, and most of the football teams we will be playing will be our equals or more. I just don't see the problem.

As for the ACC having better women's basketball, the last time we played North Carolina, we beat them by 50 points. The last time we played Duke, we beat them by 30 points. The last time we played Maryland we beat them by 26 points. And those are the ACC powerhouses. Really, what is the problem? THERE IS NO CONFERENCE THAT CAN GIVE UCONN COMPETITION IN WOMAN'S BASKETBALL. Once you digest this, then you realize it doesn't make any difference what conference we play in.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have pretty much decided that I am not going to win the Miss Congeniality award.
Once again, why am I always the last to know? This board is now giving out a Miss Congeniality award? Since when? When did this start? And who's voting? And what about a Mr. Congeniality award? Talk about sexist.

(OMG, this ESPN demise is going to be exhilarating :D)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have pretty much decided that I am not going to win the Miss Congeniality award. However, I feel that dissing UConn's conference is dissing UConn. This is especially ironic since we just left the Big East where outside of Notre Dame, not a single team had ever stopped UConn from winning the Season BE championship, or the BE Tourney, or both. The BE had some of the crappiest women's teams in the world, such as Seton Hall. Yeah, that carries over to the AAC. So what is different? But you are worried about Memphis, which actually has a decent men's team, and most of the football teams we will be playing will be our equals or more. I just don't see the problem.

Pretty sure both Nova and Rutgers have done so.

And possibly once by someone like Seton Hall. Fuzzy memory of something like that.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I have pretty much decided that I am not going to win the Miss Congeniality award. However, I feel that dissing UConn's conference is dissing UConn. ...

well, if that's the way you feel...you being new and all, and many of us being faithful fans of UConn for many years. Can't stop you feeling that way I guess.

I will then state that we will have to agree to disagree on many points - you not wanting to win Miss Congeniality is one I will agree with...However the separation between team and conference is a live one for me, and as such I will continue to support UConn and pray like hell that we get the hell out of the AAC as fast as we can.

Note:
We beat higher ranked teams by many points - but because they are higher ranked teams, they help our SOS and RPI. The former Big East had sometimes as many as 8 teams in the top 25 during the season , most of whom we beat by many points. It is pretty much pre-determined that UConn WBB will demolish the teams in the new AAC, however those teams likely will not see the top 25 - and as such, they will serve to lower our SOS and RPI.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Pretty sure both Nova and Rutgers have done so.

And possibly once by someone like Seton Hall. Fuzzy memory of something like that.

Nova won the tourney in 2003
Rutgers won the regular season in 2004 and 2005, and the tourney in 2007. I don't remember Seton Hall winning anything, but didn't Boston College win the tourney in 2004? Not sure about that one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nova won the tourney in 2003
Rutgers won the regular season in 2004 and 2005, and the tourney in 2007. I don't remember Seton Hall winning anything, but didn't Boston College win the tourney in 2004? Not sure about that one.

Yeah, that could have been a regular season game I'm thinking of. It was so unusual that it stood out in my mind.

Reaction Score
well, if that's the way you feel...you being new and all, and many of us being faithful fans of UConn for many years. Can't stop you feeling that way I guess.

I will then state that we will have to agree to disagree on many points - you not wanting to win Miss Congeniality is one I will agree with...However the separation between team and conference is a live one for me, and as such I will continue to support UConn and pray like hell that we get the hell out of the AAC as fast as we can.

Note:
We beat higher ranked teams by many points - but because they are higher ranked teams, they help our SOS and RPI. The former Big East had sometimes as many as 8 teams in the top 25 during the season , most of whom we beat by many points. It is pretty much pre-determined that UConn WBB will demolish the teams in the new AAC, however those teams likely will not see the top 25 - and as such, they will serve to lower our SOS and RPI.

Fine. A couple of things:

1. Just because I am new to this board does not mean I am a "new" UConn fan. I have a post graduate degree from UConn which I received dozens of years ago, and my son graduated from UConn's Honor's program two years ago and is now a 3L at UConn Law School, and my daughter is a rising senior at UConn. (Both were homeschooled and both are very young for their "grade." ) I have been a fan of UConn's women's basketball since the first game on CPTV.

2. I have been debating on sports message boards since Pontius was a Pilot.

3. I care less about SOS or RPI. I only care about winning the NC. In my travels, the only ones I've come across who seem to care about SOS or RPI were the Tennessee Vols after they stopped making the Final Four. That was all they had left.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Yeah, that could have been a regular season game I'm thinking of. It was so unusual that it stood out in my mind.

possibly...in those days, I was just getting back into basketball after a hiatus whilst attending music school. I remember the BC rivalry as one that was very heated. They left the Big East (as we all know) for the ACC shortly thereafter.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Fine. A couple of things:

1. Just because I am new to this board does not mean I am a "new" UConn fan. I have a post graduate degree from UConn which I received dozens of years ago, and my son graduated from UConn's Honor's program two years ago and is now a 3L at UConn Law School, and my daughter is a rising senior at UConn. (Both were homeschooled and both are very young for their "grade." ) I have been a fan of UConn's women's basketball since the first game on CPTV.

2. I have been debating on sports message boards since Pontius was a Pilot.

3. I care less about SOS or RPI. I only care about winning the NC. In my travels, the only ones I've come across who seem to care about SOS or RPI were the Tennessee Vols after they stopped making the Final Four. That was all they had left.

My point is the one you are ignoring - you are new to this board - it doesn't matter how long you have been a fan, nor your UConn pedigree. You are not being nice in your new home, and your method of debate - insults etc - is not very sportsmanlike.

The Smash and Bash type argument that you are using very rarely win over people. Most folks on this board are well versed in UConn lore, stats, and savvy to the basketball world. You will notice that no one is shouting at you, but presenting facts to support their arguments. So you care less about SOS or RPI - many do however, and in fact are aware that these things are important factors in selection for the NCAA and NIT tourneys. Tennessee had a "my dad is bigger than your dad attitude" with respect to UConn vs Tennessee in those years where it was clear that UConn was about to usurp Tennessee's supposed hold on the top of WCBB, and frequently supported that with their SOS. That was their board and this is ours.

If you are a top team with a winning record over teams who are outside of the top 50, you have proven very little to the basketball world. If you are a top team who has beaten all other top teams, well, then you have bragging rights. This is the point we are trying to make with you, and the SOS fits right in with this argument. After this coming year, there will be little competition within the conference that will strengthen the SOS and RPI for UConn, causing them to have to ensure that as many of their OOC games are with top teams. Most teams do not like scheduling OOC games after January, so many of these higher seed games will have to take place during the months of November and December...coaches would rather have more difficult games scheduled in the run up to the tourneys - the Big East provided that with ND, Rutgers and Louisville, and scheduled accordingly. Now, in the AAC, we will be playing cupcakes in March as preparation for the NCAA - not good.

Reaction Score
My point is the one you are ignoring - you are new to this board - it doesn't matter how long you have been a fan, nor your UConn pedigree. You are not being nice in your new home, and your method of debate - insults etc - is not very sportsmanlike.

The Smash and Bash type argument that you are using very rarely win over people. Most folks on this board are well versed in UConn lore, stats, and savvy to the basketball world. You will notice that no one is shouting at you, but presenting facts to support their arguments. So you care less about SOS or RPI - many do however, and in fact are aware that these things are important factors in selection for the NCAA and NIT tourneys. Tennessee had a "my dad is bigger than your dad attitude" with respect to UConn vs Tennessee in those years where it was clear that UConn was about to usurp Tennessee's supposed hold on the top of WCBB, and frequently supported that with their SOS. That was their board and this is ours.

If you are a top team with a winning record over teams who are outside of the top 50, you have proven very little to the basketball world. If you are a top team who has beaten all other top teams, well, then you have bragging rights. This is the point we are trying to make with you, and the SOS fits right in with this argument. After this coming year, there will be little competition within the conference that will strengthen the SOS and RPI for UConn, causing them to have to ensure that as many of their OOC games are with top teams. Most teams do not like scheduling OOC games after January, so many of these higher seed games will have to take place during the months of November and December...coaches would rather have more difficult games scheduled in the run up to the tourneys - the Big East provided that with ND, Rutgers and Louisville, and scheduled accordingly. Now, in the AAC, we will be playing cupcakes in March as preparation for the NCAA - not good.

I agree with the cupcakes in March thing, but I disagree with the idea that NO ONE will schedule us in February or March. I went to the Baylor game last year, and although I do not remember the date, it seems to me that it was in February. It also seems that Duke was in the last half of the season. I am sure that Notre Dame, for example would schedule us in late January or February if it meant that otherwise they could not play us.

And as for my being nice, I have responded in kind. If someone calls me a name, I will push back. You might want to reread this thread to see who started making nasty comments. That having been said, I have no desire to be in a mud slinging contest. I like civilized debates, but I do like debates. If someone cannot tolerate another poster disagreeing with them, that is not my problem.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On the WBB front going forward, the AAC will be much better than the remnants of the Big East. The Big East was awful when UConn first got good. They weren't getting 8 teams in the tourney back then. But the other teams were able to use their relationship to UConn to build their programs. The AAC teams can do that now. The new Big East will regress in a hurry. They have nothing.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Baylor pushed back - hard - Mulkey did not want that game scheduled so late (and fought like hell to move it to an earlier time, but ESPN insisted) and most others will not as well.

Please advise to me how you are sure that ND will not be of this ilk. Remember the scheduling of the past ND games were all in conference.

As to civility - You like to shout - a lot - and it appears that you do not like people disagreeing with you - unless you disagree. Your suggestion to them is to sedate themselves before posting. I quoted your post above - (go look)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
On the WBB front going forward, the AAC will be much better than the remnants of the Big East. The Big East was awful when UConn first got good. They weren't getting 8 teams in the tourney back then. But the other teams were able to use their relationship to UConn to build their programs. The AAC teams can do that now. The new Big East will regress in a hurry. They have nothing.

Problem is, most of those Big East schools are better universities than the AAC schools (eg Georgetown, Syracuse, Nova, etc...). That's a distinct advantage, especially on the women's side, as many of the high school girls are looking for a good education first and foremost.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Problem is, most of those Big East schools are better universities than the AAC schools (eg Georgetown, Syracuse, Nova, etc...).

yup - and one wonders if the likes of Nova and DePaul will not get an OOC game with UConn based on their coaches relationship with Geno....just thinking aloud, have nothing to support this notion

Reaction Score
Baylor pushed back - hard - Mulkey did not want that game scheduled so late (and fought like hell to move it to an earlier time, but ESPN insisted) and most others will not as well.

Please advise to me how you are sure that ND will not be of this ilk. Remember the scheduling of the past ND games were all in conference.

As to civility - You like to shout - a lot - and it appears that you do not like people disagreeing with you - unless you disagree. Your suggestion to them is to sedate themselves before posting. I quoted your post above - (go look)

And that was after that poster called me a "garden variety troll." I said, I respond in kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom