ESPN AA, POY, COY, FOY | The Boneyard

ESPN AA, POY, COY, FOY

Reaction Score
Pretty impressive list of players. Also shows the respect Pheesa gets making 2nd team in a season that was not one that she probably felt was not her best.

Reaction Score
No that SI really giver the women's game any credit but I wonder how they justify putting Gustafson on their 1st team?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not sure how they wound up putting Vivians on 3rd team and McCowan on 1st.

Picks don’t exactly matchup with mine, but overall I think they’re solid. I hope the AP and WBCA is a little different.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
How many games did wilson miss?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There are a couple of glaring gaffs- Victoria Vivians is the Alpha on MSU and should not be 3rd team nor should be behind McCowan and as such Tiera should not be 1st team. MCCowan at best is 2nd team. I do think VV should be either 1st or 2nd team. Overall, it’s the correct list of candidates.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of McGowan as most of what I've seen of her strengths has to do with her being big and strong. Yes she's improved but I think maybe 3rd team for her. VV is my 5th choice for AA.
Great that we have three in the first and second team. Thought Pheesa might be 3rd team.
Otherwise the list is reasonable.
Bronx23

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
3 ESPN employees voted. I am sure that they watched enough WCBB to make valid choices after watching all the players in all the conferences, doing their due diligence and all...and that Graham Hays and Mechelle Voepel had no other work to do...

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Two points:

1. On lists of this sort (POY, 1st team AA, etc.), I attach a lot of weight to the unanimity of choice of any player. McGowan is the only non-unanimous name on this ESPN 1st team, so the reason has to be VV.

2. ESPN lists of this sort carry little weight, because they are the opinion of only THREE people.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised they put Asia Durr on the second team, I certainly agree with that or even third because I believe she's just a volume shooter. Considering how much the media loves points and scoring that was a shocker. McCowan should be second or third, definitely not two teams ahead of Vivians. IMO Kalani Brown should be on the 1st team because she is better and was the best pure 5 this season. And Kia Nurse didn't even make third team?? I think she has had one of the most consistent years this season.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Two points:

1. On lists of this sort (POY, 1st team AA, etc.), I attach a lot of weight to the unanimity of choice of any player. McGowan is the only non-unanimous name on this ESPN 1st team, so the reason has to be VV.

2. ESPN lists of this sort carry little weight, because they are the opinion of only THREE people.

THREE biased "Rah-Rah" SEC people.Head bangHead bangHead bang

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There are some REALLY good players that didn't make any of the 3 AA lists linked above. Some tough competition for those honors this year. UConn's trio of Nurse, Dangerfield and Stevens. Hebard from Oregon, Billings from UCLA. Those are just a few that jump out at me.

Reaction Score
Z should be in the third team but I know they will not let a school with four.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
With Kia not making any of the teams, it does not bode well for Kia to make the WBCA All American team, if she was UConn's 3rd Nominee.

Reaction Score
I don't get McCowan on first team even when Kalani is beating her in 2 out of the 3 statistical categories they highlight.

Reaction Score
No that SI really giver the women's game any credit but I wonder how they justify putting Gustafson on their 1st team?

Perhaps because she leads the country in scoring and field goal percentage and is fifth in rebounding.

HGN

Reaction Score
You must remember this ESPN not the WBCA, they tend to lean more to offense then defense. I believe that Kia will be the WBCA DPOY.
MSGRET , I agree with you. HOPEFULLY the WBCA can appreciate ALL the
talents and skills Kia brings to the court. Not just scoring. The ESPN voting
seemingly values scoring much more than any other skill to make its AA lists.
Which may explain why so many players look at defense as a waste of time.
" Just let me score my 30.... Who cares if the guy I'm guarding scored 35".
Both players make AA.

The Huskies are just Blessed that Kia doesn't see it that way. Her pride comes
from making sure the player she's guarding scores in single digits. And that
Uconn gets the Victory. No matter how many shots or 'points' she gets.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't get McCowan on first team even when Kalani is beating her in 2 out of the 3 statistical categories they highlight.
Has Baylor make an apperance on ESPN in the past two years? The Game against UCONN from 2017 was not on ESPN. McCowan has been all over ESPN this year. BTW I agree with you. Kalani should be on everyone's 1st team .

Reaction Score
Has Baylor make an apperance on ESPN in the past two years? The Game against UCONN from 2017 was not on ESPN. McCowan has been all over ESPN this year. BTW I agree with you. Kalani should be on everyone's 1st team .

Both BU vs TX games were on ESPN.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member