Erica McCall to commit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Erica McCall to commit

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Some have said we lost two national championships because of our very light bench. We all know why and how it happened that we were short so many players...and no need to dredge it all up again. Sure we'll be OK if Chong is a unica, but for obvious reasons a 1 class person is not a good idea, and, actually I can't believe that we will do that again. So we wait and watch!

there is a difference between having a light bench and having a small roster.

In 2012, they will have only 11 players. They are Faris, Doty, Buck, Dolson, Hartley, Lewis, Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. 4 short of a full roster, but certainly not a light bench.

In 2013, they will have at this time only 9 players. Dolson, Hartley, Faris, Lewis, Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck and Chong. 6 under the max, but 9 players that can PLAY. I don't see a light bench here.

In 2014, they have Lewis, Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Chong and Ekmark. That's 8 returning. All 8 can PLAY. Add in 3-4 freshman and you have an 11-12 player roster and probably all very good.

In 2015, they Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Chong, Ekmark, 3-4 sophs and 3-4 freshman. Unless Geno recruits kids that can't play at this level, UConn will be fine.

What they CAN'T afford is two 1 player classes over 4 years. I don't see that happening.

Reaction Score
The flip side of that, Nan, is showcased in Geno's comments that having players of a significantly lower caliber of talent is a "drain" on the coaching and the rest of the team ("Some kids who we take a chance on and they get here and it doesn't work out. While they are here and it is not working out, it is a drain. They don't realize it is a drain because they can't keep up with everybody at practice and it make it difficult so going into the season feeling like it is going to be more competitive than ever"). So which is it? Do we need role players and walk ons to round out the team with numbers, or is it too much of a drain having kids at a much lower level?

Hopefully Geno has finally learned from one of the very few consistent errors he's made in recruiting (IMHO) - casting too narrow a net. I get that some may vociferously disagree, but even the staff has said classes of 2, and especially 1, should never happen. They didn't offer Bria Holmes in part because they thought they had Diamond. They went after very few kids from 2013 and by the time they realized they were swinging and missing on the few kids they were after, it was too late to get any kids in the 20-50 range. Geno's a stubborn guy (it took him several more years than most other coaches to stop waiting till well into the junior year of HS to start recruiting kids. Now he starts looking at them much earlier and letting them know UCONN is interested).

Fortunately, for 2014, they are involved with at least 7 kids we know about - Ekmark (verbal), Wilson, Turner, Canada, Caldwell, Calhoun, Drummer, and 1 other I'm aware of but unsure if she's being pursued actively. If we don't get McCall I think they should look at even more kids with size - White (6'4" post from NC), Belton (6'2" forward from MD), and Rice (6'3" post from OH). I also think they ought to look at Mitchell, the #1 player in the class, and a guard from Ohio as well.

I totally get that not every kid is right for UCONN, nor will every kid want to play for UCONN. And no matter how early UCONN is on a kid, the coaches can't just snap their fingers to land recruits. But from everything we read, Holmes was really interested in UCONN. And, if we'd landed her, they could have asked her to redshirt a year to effectively be part of the 2013 class, just like they did years ago with Jess Moore when we were loaded with post players her freshman year. It's also too bad the staff missed out on Peyton Little and Xylena McDaniel from 2012. They certainly could have helped with depth. I guess in hindsight the coaches must have seen something they didn't like in Holmes.

At the time Lauren and Michala left, I think people just shrugged and said "oh well best of luck". Which of course, we all feel (best of luck). As Nan pointed out, injuries most often occur at times of mental and physical fatigue. But with a very small class in 2013, it puts the team in a much more precarious position. A team of 9 means 1 starter is always on the court even at the end of games in blowouts (which there will be many of next year).

I'd much rather have a team of 14 or 15 with a kid every other year deciding out than the situation we find ourselves in with potentially a team of 9 or 10 at most (for the start of 2013-2014)...

Ultimately, a class of only 1 won't stop us from competing for NC's the next 3 years, but that means he will need a class of at the very least 4, and possibly 5 or even 6 from 2014. Not an ideal distribution of recruits.

An Absolutely excellent post Eric!! Very comprehensive and inclusive. The small net in 2013,bit us in the a** I believe we thought we had DD and Reimer for some time! Well we didnt:oops: We did,TG get Chong,but 9 is not where we want to be entering the 2013 season. I suspect there will be alot of scurring around for ways to increase this class! We need more for practice alone! 5 on 5 with 9 doesnt make it!

I do get why we really wanted X in the 2012 class! Bria Holmes was always a surprise to me that we didnt pursue her! To maxinmize the incredible run we are in position for with Bree,Mo,and Morgan we need more kids! Now 2014 has got to be a big and a super class!

You would rather have a class in 2013 that can not only give you this for the 2012 class,but have mature kids there in 2015 and to step in when they leave! Not have underclassmen! There are still opportunities via High School Srs who dont sign in Nov,Coaching changes resulting in kids opting out,Jucos,and other potential transfers! This is not the preference,but may be necessary!
Ira

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I imagine Geno will add 1 player like Fernandes and/or 1 walk-on to get the roster to double digits for 2013.
For 2014, I expect 2-4 more players to go with Ekmark. (More likely 3 or 4 than 2.)

A possible 2014 lineup of Moriah, KML, Tuck, Stewart, & Stokes isnt too shabby. With Banks, Chong, & Ekmark on the bench.
IIRC, Geno said something like "There may be a surprise [re: recruiting] this year". Is there someone we don't know about?

Anywho, the following is from Jim Fuller's blog: "When I sat down with Geno Auriemma [on 9/25/12] (before he headed out on recruiting trips to Chicago and then Atlanta) I asked him if he'd be more open accepting walk ons next season in order to avoid using starters during garbage time and he said he would be but also that they are still working to get to an ideal 12-player roster. That could mean that he knows of a Jacquie Fernandes type of player or players who could join the team next season either on scholarship or as a non-scholarship player (with 11 players on this year's team there are no such concerns)."

Reaction Score
Thanks for that Cat. I guess we can add Mychal Johnson to the list of kids we are potentially looking at for 2014, which beings the number up to at least 8. That's a HUGE list for 2013/2014 for Kentucky. Makes me wonder what's going on with L'ville - they keep swinging and missing with kids from 2013, in spite of landing Sam Williams as an asst coach last year. She's one of the 2 great recruiting assts. who used to be at Duke (Stafford-Odom went to UNC - already seeing a TON of results in part attributed to her move)...

Kentucky lost their asst/recruiting coordinator to Tenn Kyra Elsy this spring! I think it hurt them for 2013! Impressive the # of kids they had over the weekend! Of course
you dont expect or want that many kids to actually play for you,but it is a wide net!

Louisville I don't know what is happening there! Unless they really believe they have Russell
and that will open the flood gates for them? Nice to know about Johnson!

Re posts about not to worry about 2013! As it stands right now we have 9 ! If we get McCall <not confident> that would be 10! Having to spend additional time filling the 2013 roster with the season approaching is not where as a Coaching Staff you would prefer to be!!
Ira

Reaction Score
IIRC, Geno said something like "There may be a surprise [re: recruiting] this year". Is there someone we don't know about?

Anywho, the following is from Jim Fuller's blog: "When I sat down with Geno Auriemma [on 9/25/12] (before he headed out on recruiting trips to Chicago and then Atlanta) I asked him if he'd be more open accepting walk ons next season in order to avoid using starters during garbage time and he said he would be but also that they are still working to get to an ideal 12-player roster. That could mean that he knows of a Jacquie Fernandes type of player or players who could join the team next season either on scholarship or as a non-scholarship player (with 11 players on this year's team there are no such concerns)."

Yes Nan I had read that blog at the time and was happy to see that! At that time and since I have wondering if that was fact or Geno being Geno:) I hope it comes to fruition! A later comment by Geno was they were recruiting 2 kids! To me that confirmed Harper was gone and the only 2 were Saniya and McCall!

You are correct there is no issue for this season. 9 for 2013 is not what they or any of us want to see.
Ira

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
2013-14

Seniors - Hartley, Dolson
Juniors - Stokes, Lewis, Banks
Sophs - Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck
Freshman - Chong

9 players

2014-15

Seniors - Stokes, Lewis, Banks
Juniors - Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck
Sophs - Chong
Freshman - Ekmark + 3?

11 players

2015-16

Seniors - Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck
Juniors - Chong
Sophs - Ekmark + 3?
Freshman - 3-4?

11-12 players??

2016-17

Senior- Chong
Juniors - Ekmark + 3?
Sophs - 3-4?
Freshman - 3-4?

10-12 player?

I just don't see a problem. As long as Geno gets the cream of the crop and the players he wants.

Here is the problem with what you are stating: the further you go into the future, the less likely the year-by-year scenarios you are describing actually are just by the nature of statistical probability. They may happen, but they may not.

Think about all of the things that can happen:
  • Someone you thought was a lean ends up going elsewhere (not sure how Geno felt about his chances with DeShields, but certainly a lot of fans thought we led).
  • Someone commits and then gets cold feet for whatever reason (EDD)
  • Someone commits, matriculates, plays, but ends up deciding UConn isn't for her (Walker)
  • Someone commits, matriculates, plays, but doesn't really pan out and ends up transferring (Engeln, Johnson)
  • Someone commits, matriculates, plays, but is limited by injuries (Doty)
  • Someone commits, matriculates, plays, but doesn't really pan out and, although she sticks with the program, ends up with a more limited role than you anticipated when she was a sophomore/junior in high school (Buck)
If you have to rely on a quantitatively big class, the first bullet point is a major issue, and even if you get the numbers you want, you have to hope that you don't have more of those other issues pop up than you'd expect. In tandem, the Kelly Faris class followed by a 2010 class with only two contributors out of five kept UConn from winning a championship either of the past two years...and that was with Kelly not having any of the issues above. If she had, it could have been worse.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

You know, he said that so long ago (at least it feels like long ago). But he said that indeed. Several of us speculated off the board on every idea we could think of - A surprise from the top 10, a foreign kid from his Olympic trip, reclassifying Ekmark to the class of 2013, to a JUCO. No idea but I do agree 12 is an ideal roster.

Someone in another thread posted an excellent comment (I forget who sorry). He said that Geno and co. seem more likely to forgo adding a kid in favor of team chemistry, meaning that chemistry and a smaller team is more important than a larger team if it sacrifices chemistry.

Also to echo what Alex said - I believe Maya's senior year the lack of depth cost us a NC. Samarie had left, Caroline was injured, and Geno had to start 2 freshmen. When Stef got into foul trouble, Maya was playing the 5. Dixon was the only player off the bench in big games.

Yes there were reasons we were so short handed - EDD, McCormack and Walker all transferred (or never made it to a first UCONN game). Doty had torn her ACL again. There actually should have been at least 9-10 quality players for a rotation in a big game. But we had 6.

The 2nd was in 2006 (Tina's freshman year). Mel, Charde and Ketia were seniors. Brit could only give us 10 minutes a game. We basically started Renee, Charde, Mel, Kalana and Tina. We had Ketia and Brit/Kaili off the bench. Just not enough quality depth. PLENTY of depth for blowouts - we also had Kerns, Gardler, Fernandez and Williams. But not enough for the big games.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The sense I'm getting from reading this thread is that but for Geno's recruiting failures, UConn would win a national championship every year. I hope he works on that.
Sorry if you thought i implied that - I did not mean to. Other teams can also claim that if not for injuries, etc etc. might have happened. I wouldn't trade our HC for anyone one else out there. And I think when he finally hangs em up, he'll be mostly recognized as the greatest of all time.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The sense I'm getting from reading this thread is that but for Geno's recruiting failures, UConn would win a national championship every year. I hope he works on that.

All this angst about a 1 player is ridiculous.

In the four Faris years, UConn will more than likely have won 1 NC (maybe 2), and gone to 4 Final Fours.

Are we really saying here that Uconn would have done better with some imaginary player?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sorry if you thought i implied that - I did not mean to. Other teams can also claim that if not for injuries, etc etc. might have happened. I wouldn't trade our HC for anyone one else out there. And I think when he finally hangs em up, he'll be mostly recognized as the greatest of all time.

I'm pretty sure tongue was firmly in cheek.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
All this angst about a 1 player is ridiculous.

In the four Faris years, UConn will more than likely have won 1 NC (maybe 2), and gone to 4 Final Fours.

Are we really saying here that Uconn would have done better with some imaginary player?
Yes I think we are. I pointed out at least 2 final 4 trips that ended because of lack of depth. And I'm not sure where I see any angst. I see discussion, comments, opinions, and some concern. Just because you disagree doesn't make the comments or discussion "ridiculous".

Not all UCONN fans share your or Tony's sublime optimism, or "what, me worry?" mantra! :)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Don't worry Bre counts for 2 players at at least 5 foot a piece!

Reaction Score
In tandem, the Kelly Faris class followed by a 2010 class with only two contributors out of five kept UConn from winning a championship either of the past two years...

And your point is?
I'm sure the coaches tried to have a 2010 class with 5/5 contributors, but it didn't work out. It's not an exact science.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yes I think we are. I pointed out at least 2 final 4 trips that ended because of lack of depth. And I'm not sure where I see any angst. I see discussion, comments, opinions, and some concern. Just because you disagree doesn't make the comments or discussion "ridiculous".

Not all UCONN fans share your or Tony's sublime optimism, or "what, me worry?" mantra! :)

Well, if someone is going to say that we will "rue the day", I'd call that angst.

And that lack of depth in your examples are not from the small class of Faris, but not having QUALITY depth.

Who from the Faris HS class that UConn should have had would have made a difference? It's all guesswork.

I agree that injuries and transfers of quality players impacts possible championships, but I don't see that as being on topic. We are talking about 1 player classes costing championships.

The Chong class, with the players on the team already, will not be the difference between winning and losing, IMO.

It's only my opinion that the angst about it is ridiculous.

And I much prefer the "what, me worry" attitude than the "worry about recruits 3 years away" outlook. Especially with a coach that is the best in recruiting over the last 25 years.

Reaction Score
Has anyone read comments on McCall's visit to UCONN? Has she made any public?

Reaction Score
They only ended because of depth if you accept Geno could have successfully recruited another contributor that Geno would have actually played in the Final Four, and would have played better the players that did play in those Final Fours. I'd be interested to see the people that think depth cost UConn National Championships actually name a player that would have made that difference. As I said before Geno can only play the hand he is dealt in any given recruiting year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well yea. Duh. Who couldn't use a 6-6 point guard, with blazing speed, who can dunk with either hand? I "imagine" she would have put up 26 ppg, 12 rpg, 8 apg, 4 blocks, 7 steals and shot 51% from 3-pt.

Are you actually saying she wouldn't have helped?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I said before Geno can only play the hand he is dealt in any given recruiting year.
Well not really, recruiting is basically stacking the deck in your favor.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well yea. Duh. Who couldn't use a 6-6 point guard, with blazing speed, who can dunk with either hand? I "imagine" she would have put up 26 ppg, 12 rpg, 8 apg, 4 blocks, 7 steals and shot 51% from 3-pt.

Are you actually saying she wouldn't have helped?

Yes, Stewart would have helped....!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
DD, I was thinkin' Meyers meant Ivana Stepovaya - although 'Vana doesn't often shoot from the three-point line, she just gets a running start and dunks from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom