Eric Mussleman | The Boneyard

Eric Mussleman

Reaction Score
Write down Steve Forbes and TJ Otzelberger! Although I firmly believe it will be Dan Hurley if Ollie is fired.

Reaction Score
Cream
Hurley
Anthony Grant
Otzelberger
Lottich
Are some of the other names

Reaction Score
Cream
Hurley
Anthony Grant
Otzelberger
Lottich

I always liked Anthony Grant. I know he only had brief success at Alabama, but I always liked how his teams played.

Reaction Score
I always liked Anthony Grant. I know he only had brief success at Alabama, but I always liked how his teams played.
Dayton has been awful this year, I understand you might like his persona, but his success rate has been miserable. Also, coach Ollie is our coach, I am never comfortable talking about replacements until there is a change, I believe it’s disrespectful.

Reaction Score
Dayton has been awful this year, I understand you might like his persona, but his success rate has been miserable. Also, coach Ollie is our coach, I am never comfortable talking about replacements until there is a change, I believe it’s disrespectful.

Hence why I said he's only had brief success...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I see your point

Reaction Score
Totally agree. He’s achieved far too little IMO

Husky99 isn’t the only person who has mentioned him as a candidate though, so people must see something in him. I’d stay clear, personally.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Cream
Hurley
Anthony Grant
Otzelberger
Lottich

how many of those guys are significantly enough better than Ollie to justify paying 2 coaches?

Reaction Score
Cream
Hurley
Anthony Grant
Otzelberger
Lottich

Honestly, I'd be fine with any of these guys. I don't love Crean by any means, but he is a guy who has proven he can recruit and win. His teams always played a fun style, but I know many Indiana fans absolutely could not stand him. If these were the top 5, Crean would be #5. Otzelberger is another intriguing guy. He was known as a big-time recruiter, was an assistant at Iowa St during their "cool" years and his doing well at South Dakota. He's only 40 and has a growing rep.

Reaction Score
how many of those guys are significantly enough better than Ollie to justify paying 2 coaches?

New blood... The damage has been done here, the program is dying, and whether you fully blame KO or not is not the issue. The longer he stays, the more we will be a has been. The style, approach, everything is need of a change. Maybe a new person cannot fix it. But I'd rather try someone new then pretend that things are going to miraculously change when the same trends have been occurring for multiple years.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
New blood... The damage has been done here, the program is dying, and whether you fully blame KO or not is not the issue. The longer he stays, the more we will be a has been. The style, approach, everything is need of a change. Maybe a new person cannot fix it. But I'd rather try someone knew then pretend that things are going to miraculously change when the same trends have been occurring for multiple years.

I admit I will always have a bit of a soft spot for KO for reasons I shared in the "Your Favorite UConn memory" thread a while back.

That being said, I would sign up for Hurley fast.

The rest of those guys I'd be less certain about.

But I also recognize that the boosters are gonna have to be the ones to oust KO, because UConn and the State just don't have the money to make that happen right now.

the Q

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'd be fine with any of these guys. I don't love Crean by any means, but he is a guy who has proven he can recruit and win. His teams always played a fun style, but I know many Indiana fans absolutely could not stand him. If these were the top 5, Crean would be #5. Otzelberger is another intriguing guy. He was known as a big-time recruiter, was an assistant at Iowa St during their "cool" years and his doing well at South Dakota. He's only 40 and has a growing rep.

I admit I have to look into a few of those guys a bit more. Hurley is the one that seems like a no brainer.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All other things being equal, change for the sake of change isn't necessarily a bad move. If we are stuck with the buyout however, we need a lot better than merely a new face as we are in no position to eat $9 million for the same product in a different package.

The replacement (if we do have to pay the buyout) needs to be a lot closer to our hiring JC than yo our hiring P or Diaco.

Reaction Score
Guy completely flipped around Nevada in a short time with a 75% winning % Also has NBA coaching pedigree. IF and its a BIG IF IF we go in a different direction he would be a great hire.

Reaction Score
We need cool to translate to the tristate area and Boston pipeline, as the main focus. I hope these Midwest guys can cut it.

Reaction Score
Just realize if this goes down and KO is fired that we are on the hook for some serious cheese for the new HC... Can't be frugal... and can't go find another Bob Diaco type either... Gotta be a name, that can recruit... A guy that, IMO, makes the most sense, but we probably don't have a shot at at this point, unless we pay him handsomely, is UConn's own Steve Pikiell...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need cool to translate to the tristate area and Boston pipeline, as the main focus. I hope these Midwest guys can cut it.

Of course... My memory is that Iowa St., during the Hoiberg days, used to pull a lot of NYC and national guys (transfers) solely based on their style of play. If Otzelberger can sell that along with our history, that could be a really nice match.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom